so UG,
I found an old acoustic in the basement yesterday and I want to make it nice and playable again. any advice on how to paint it etc? the top came off a bit so I'm planning on just gluing it on again. It's a classic guitar with nylon strings, but can I put steel strings on it?

thanks for any advice,
Farether

Edit: It's an old Eko P2
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Last edited by Farether at Oct 28, 2008,
if your planning on painting it, what i'd do is sand it down to the wood, or as close as you can get it. check all the wooden and fix any thing that needs fixing, glueing the top for example etc etc.

once all that is done then you can paint it and clear coat it etc etc

I think you could put steel strings on, aslong as the nut and saddle could handle the pressure from the strings.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
If it's a classical style, steel strings will almost definitely rip the bridge off.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Daniel8488
if your planning on painting it, what i'd do is sand it down to the wood, or as close as you can get it. check all the wooden and fix any thing that needs fixing, glueing the top for example etc etc.

once all that is done then you can paint it and clear coat it etc etc

I think you could put steel strings on, aslong as the nut and saddle could handle the pressure from the strings.

fool!!! never ever ever put steel strings on a classical

glue it with titebond or something similar and give it over night to dry then try re finishing it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
He's not a fool, he was asking a question.

I agree with the titebond though, best glue for guitars.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.