I'm just wwondering why isnt voting in america compulsary. Im from australia and everyone over 18 here has to vote, why isnt it like this in america, not saying its better but just wondering.
Democracy?

Sometimes not voting is a bigger statement than taking the lesser of two evils.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.
Democracy?

mmmmmmbuttslammed!
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
Isn't the deal in Australia that you have to register a vote, but one of your voting options is to abstain?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Because the country was based on the government not abusing their power (not saying your country is). So the government can't force you to do it, only suggest it.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Well you can disagree with all partys and therefore you have tyhe right not to vote.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Technically in Australia, you just have to show up and get your name ticked off...you don't actually HAVE to vote...most people (especially in local council elections) just scribble on the sheet or submit a blank form.

A mate of mine ran for local council this year and said about 80% of votes counted were informal votes.
Quote by ross1234
Well you can disagree with all partys and therefore you have tyhe right not to vote.

I take the lesser of two evils approach.
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
So in Australia it's "vote or die, mafacka, vote or die"?

-1 civilized country points for you good sir.

Though I'm fairly confident that TS just doesn't know how the thing works.
Quote by Liam.
Democracy?

Sometimes not voting is a bigger statement than taking the lesser of two evils.

Yeah in the UK we have another option which makes the biggest statement, Monster Raving Loony Party.
Sig space available, give me some praise
in america, our votes don't really count anyway, it's the electoral college (for president anyway). If it were REALLY up to the people, bush would have never been our president
How would it make sense that you should have to vote? If you don't agree with anyone then why vote for them? Or if you have no interest in learning about them.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']So in Australia it's "vote or die, mafacka, vote or die"?

no, on election day you have to rock up at a voting place, get ticked off and put a voting slip in the box.

what you write on your voting slip is completely up to you.

EDIT:
Quote by K Dizzle
in america, our votes don't really count anyway, it's the electoral college (for president anyway). If it were REALLY up to the people, bush would have never been our president

yeah thats crap IMO, just let me get this straight though, basically you vote for a guy who you essentially want to represent you and then he and all the other guys voted for by the people then vote for who they want as president? if so thats kind of screwy.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Oct 28, 2008,
In soviet russia, voting chooses you.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

move to england
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Chrisiphone

In Soviet Russia, stupid overdone joke makes you...
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by hardcore dude
I'm just wwondering why isnt voting in america compulsary. Im from australia and everyone over 18 here has to vote, why isnt it like this in america, not saying its better but just wondering.

Because the government over here knows that the elected officials hold very little power and are mostly pawns for the rich capitalist corperations that actually run this country. The people however have a blind eye for this and don't realize that they are all slaves to the Federal Reserve Bank, and for some reason they think some politician can save them. Voting isn't compulsary because it's pointless in reality. Obama can't save us, Mcain can't save us, no matter who wins we all lose...

You got a place in Australia I can crash? This place is fucked
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Chrisiphone

+1 for family guy reference
My Gear:
Epiphone LP-100 Lefty Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp
Korg AX3000G Multi-Effect Processor
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']So in Australia it's "vote or die, mafacka, vote or die"?

Fail. It means that voting will be consistent across the country and not affected by things like, the weather, or random occurances.

This also means that stupid people who don't think their vote counts also get a say.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Voting here in the U.S. this time around almost makes no sense, we are in for a hell of a recession.
Listen to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, or whatever you want to listen to.
Dreams/Celestial Voyager (My Band's recording )
Live at Pompeii

Put this in your signature if you think coalition governments in democratic societies are f*cking retarded.
I wish that voting wasnt compulsory in Australia. Just to stop the idiots voting for the shit candidate.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by nodice182
Fail. It means that voting will be consistent across the country and not affected by things like, the weather, or random occurances.

This also means that stupid people who don't think their vote counts also get a say.

+1

I hate it when people don't vote and then brag about how bad the government is, even if they don't know anything about any party.
Last edited by UNIe at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by GangsterLi
move to england

I am english

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Why don't they decide by the total amount of votes in America? I mean like the winner could get less votes and still win as long as he wins in states that count like California.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Why don't they decide by the total amount of votes in America? I mean like the winner could get less votes and still win as long as he wins in states that count like California.

Because the Electoral College is "fair."
Listen to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, or whatever you want to listen to.
Dreams/Celestial Voyager (My Band's recording )
Live at Pompeii

Put this in your signature if you think coalition governments in democratic societies are f*cking retarded.
Quote by ValoRhoads
Because the government over here knows that the elected officials hold very little power and are mostly pawns for the rich capitalist corperations that actually run this country. The people however have a blind eye for this and don't realize that they are all slaves to the Federal Reserve Bank, and for some reason they think some politician can save them. Voting isn't compulsary because it's pointless in reality. Obama can't save us, Mcain can't save us, no matter who wins we all lose...

ZIETGIEST!!!!!
PuTTing it StRAIGHt In YOUr MoUTH
Democracy is wank. All positions of authority should be earned by victory in a monkey knife fight.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by Diamond Dave

yeah thats crap IMO, just let me get this straight though, basically you vote for a guy who you essentially want to represent you and then he and all the other guys voted for by the people then vote for who they want as president? if so thats kind of screwy.

Not quite. You still vote for "the president" but essentially you're only voting for your states "delegates" to vote for who you voted for. In nearly all of the states, the state's "delegates" are required by law to vote for who the state as a majority voted for.

However, if a candidate wins many states by an extremely narrow margin, but loses a bunch of different states by a much larger margin, then it's technically possible to have a situation like we did in 2000.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by ValoRhoads

this. exactly this.

can i come too?
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Fender MIM Standard Strat (SSS)
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by Lopez72
this. exactly this.

can i come too?

economy is shit here too. although your money will be worth loads.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.