I'm looking to buy my first tube amp, but I don't know which one I should look at as I'm basically inept when it comes to tube amps except for basics.

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some amp recommendations. No solid-state or hybrid amps, I'm looking for a 100% tube amp here.

Criteria so I don't get people telling me to, for example, buy a $10,000 custom Mesa for Jazz( );

Budget is about $600, and even then if I go anywhere beyond $400 I'm financing it.

My music style is blues as well as old-rock, with a bit of more modern stuff like EVH thrown in here and there, as well as Queen(I have no freaking idea what genre they are with all the bases that they managed to cover, so I figured I'd list them seperate), though I try to throw a bit of everything into my song list.

I'm planning to use it for home practice so I don't need a huge 100-watt stack, but at the same time I'll likely be playing gigs with it once I get a band together, up to a likely maximum scale of a large open area for occasional multi-group concerts for indie bands.

At the moment I have a Fender Frontman 25R. If you own one you know why I want to upgrade. >>

I'm fine with it new or used, eBay or the local pawnshop, doesn't matter to me as long as I don't have to pay or international shipping, except from Canada.

The closest major city for me is Baltimore(not sure why it matters, but it was recommended I put it down so I figured I would).

[/criteria]

But yeah, as long as it's a reputable brand(no Line 6's, and no Crates, although Blackheart is fine despite being a Crate subsidiary), recommend me any amp you think is suiting.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
fender twin reverbs are great (i only say that cause i got one)
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
Orange tiny terror and a tubescreamer!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Traynor YCS50. Extremely versatile tube amp available in combo or head for just a little more than your budget. Well worth the difference. It is made of Rock n' Roll here in Canada.
Quote by king~olievo
fender twin reverbs are great (i only say that cause i got one)

That's all well and good if you are playing the O2, but it's a bit big and a little over the guys budget aint it!

Blues junior and a good overdrive pedal?
Peavey Classic 30?
This is why you put Baltimore.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/890132685.html Tiny Terror, $425 Would need a 1x12 cab for it but that's not a problem.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/863458278.html Hot Rod Deluxe $350. It's gonna need some help on the heavier stuff, EVH etc. But for anything shy of metal it'll be fine, blues - classic rock - jazz.

Both those amps are voiced completely differently, I think the Orange will do VH and Queen more on target but the fender's not bad at $350. I like your avatar. Cheers.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
id say look into Orange Amps.

edit: or go used
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Good luck getting a stack for your price rage, but save up a couple more months, and get a used 5150, or even better a B-52 AT-100, both great amps.
Quote by necrosis1193

I'm planning to use it for home practice so I don't need a huge 100-watt stack, but at the same time I'll likely be playing gigs with it once I get a band together, up to a likely maximum scale of a large open area for occasional multi-group concerts for indie bands.

Would a tiny terror be loud enough?

+1 to classic 30
Quote by thenewguy729
Good luck getting a stack for your price rage, but save up a couple more months, and get a used 5150, or even better a B-52 AT-100, both great amps.

He doesn't want a stack and when I think of the 5150 I don't think of the Blues, or even classic rock for that matter - which is what he is after. B52 maybe.

Gregs found two good choices. Now you know why I suggested providing closest major city. Great thread necrosis1193, you provided all the info. Keep your eye open on craigslist. A used Classic 30 would suit you well.

Sorry I didn't see your new thread here until now and I like your new avatar.

^Huge thanks again man. You may not have had a lot of time here(I'm not one to be talking there though. ), but you seem like the type who'd be on the Who To Listen To List.

Alright, thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated, as are the comments on my new avatar from those who saw the old one. ^^ And yes, Pak1351, as long as it has a decent cab, a Tiny Terror would be great. ^^

Anyway, I'm leaning between the two used amps Greg linked if I can't afford a Classic 30. The Orange can handle all the genres I need it for, but it's also more expensive and, while the Hot Rod Deluxe also has a self-contained 2 x 12 cab, the Orange will need it's own cab. The Fender probably can't do metal much considering it seems to be a blues/rock amp though.

Although, I do have an ehx distortion(it's cheap though, hence why it's not listed on my UG page). It gave a rather Sabbath-esque distortion through my solid-state amp, you think if I put that into my pedal chain I could use the Hot Rod Deluxe for everything?

Classic 30's pop up all the time for $300-$350. Maybe just wait it out. It won't be that much louder than the tiny terror really. And depending on what cab you run the TT through, it may get just as much clean headroom.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Hmm...well, is there a combo of the Classic 30?

Yeah, 1x12 standard for the Classic 30.

Many options open to you here, and the Traynor's always get much love, but for $350 the Fender HRD seems pretty great. And with a new speaker say and your EHX distortion (or maybe something higher end) it should get to the heavier end of things okay.