So, if you have noticed I have made a few threads about differant basses I have been considering... but now, I have decided on a bass ... but you know ... MODS!!! ... so I will be purchasing a Squier Standard Precision Special (long title ...). I will be changing the pickups and adding a custom graphic (if I have time to paint :P) and make it just better in general... suggestions?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-standard-p-bass-special/3822

They should make a show called Pimp My Bass with Victor Hooten being the host ...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Applehead
Who is Victor Hooten?

a kool funk player
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by dullsilver_mike
why not take the 100 pounds you'd spend on better pickups and put it toward a new bass? I love modding as much as the next guy, but why buy a new instrument for full price with the specific intent of dumping a ton of money into it?

because I would not be able to mod it straight away, and I have a gig next week
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by dullsilver_mike
why not take the 100 pounds you'd spend on better pickups and put it toward a new bass? I love modding as much as the next guy, but why buy a new instrument for full price with the specific intent of dumping a ton of money into it?

+1
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Quote by Applehead
Who is Victor Hooten?

The pimped out white version of Victor Wooten I'm guessing

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
The pimped out white version of Victor Wooten I'm guessing

oh it was a spelling mistake XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
because I would not be able to mod it straight away, and I have a gig next week

... you wouldn't need to mod it straight away as you would with the squier because it would inherently be 100 pounds better. a bass for 250 would probably be better than what you could make out of a 150 guitar and 150 in parts.

Now if you got a great deal on a moddable bass or had a bunch of extra parts lying around to go in your new bass, this would make sense to me. Oh well, to each his own.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
... you wouldn't need to mod it straight away as you would with the squier because it would inherently be 100 pounds better. a bass for 250 would probably be better than what you could make out of a 150 guitar and 150 in parts.

Now if you got a great deal on a moddable bass or had a bunch of extra parts lying around to go in your new bass, this would make sense to me. Oh well, to each his own.

if i had the money i would, i only have 150 for a bass... so im kinda screwed, and i love precisions
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
if i had the money i would, i only have 150 for a bass... so im kinda screwed, and i love precisions

Well that's fine and make sense, but I thought you said you were going to mod your bass with some upgrades for a gig next week. If you had the money to do that, they I would assume you could have just spent that money on a better bass.

That pronoun "it" makes things confusing, in your last post it sounded like you couldn't afford to mod a nicer bass, but you could afford to mod the squier.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Well that's fine and make sense, but I thought you said you were going to mod your bass with some upgrades for a gig next week. If you had the money to do that, they I would assume you could have just spent that money on a better bass.

no lol XD

but still, its christmas soon ... so any upgrades i could buy?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Cheap upgrades include new electronics, waxing the pups if they are super noisy and microphonic, strap locks, full shielding if it isn't already shielded, and a good set up (free if you do it yourself).

I wouldn't actually change pups or bridge until I had played the bass thoroughly and really knew what it was like, who knows you may love the way it sounds stock.

IMO tuners aren't worth changing on most basses, even cheap ones, as only players of certain crazy styles really knock the strings out of tune easily, and most cheap tuners do a passable job. A neck swap on a squier is never worth it, and I've never changed a nut, so I can't attest to how much of an improvement that makes, but if it's glued in and needs to be shaved to a proper height I think I'd take it to a tech which might make the project too pricey for a squier.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Cheap upgrades include new electronics, waxing the pups if they are super noisy and microphonic, strap locks, full shielding if it isn't already shielded, and a good set up (free if you do it yourself).

I wouldn't actually change pups or bridge until I had played the bass thoroughly and really knew what it was like, who knows you may love the way it sounds stock.

IMO tuners aren't worth changing on most basses, even cheap ones, as only players of certain crazy styles really knock the strings out of tune easily, and most cheap tuners do a passable job. A neck swap on a squier is never worth it, and I've never changed a nut, so I can't attest to how much of an improvement that makes, but if it's glued in and needs to be shaved to a proper height I think I'd take it to a tech which might make the project too pricey for a squier.

i already have straplocks and i didnt want to change the neck because this one has a jazz bass neck instead, a reason why i wanted this one instead of the other squier precision (also it has a jazz pickup, for my tonal variety :P)
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
With respect, just playing the fcking thing man. If you have to ask people what to buy, you dont need it. So put your money away for a rainy day and go practice.
Quote by Applehead
With respect, just playing the fcking thing man. If you have to ask people what to buy, you dont need it. So put your money away for a rainy day and go practice.

will do, by the way, i listened to your recording ... man was i ****ing blown away, your really good!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Imo the squier vintage mod precision is much better in value than the squier standard precision. Instead of buying a bunch of extra stuff for mods, just put it towards an even better bass!
i say save up and get a MIM Fender and mod from there, at least you'll have a good base to start from then
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by Applehead

Applehead has returned?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Applehead
Who is Victor Hooten?

WHAT!, The greatest funk player ever
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Drezzdez
WHAT!, The greatest funk player ever

Pretty sure it's Victor Wooten...

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
hmmm wooten and funk don't instantly go together in my head, wooten and slap yeah, wooten and wank definately, but not wooten and funk. especially not the greatest funk bassist ever surely that honour must go to Larry Graham or Marcus Miller
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by GangsterLi
a kool funk player

I agree whoever said get a Fender MIM P, but get one second hand. If you will mod it eventually then it won't matter as much if you mess it up, cause it won't be brand new, and also it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper being second hand.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Applehead
^ Rocco baby, Rocco !!

upon further investigation i whole-heartedly agree, he is made of funk
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.