Im gettin really annoyed. When i tremelo pick i find im using my entire forearm n its slowing me down, i concentrate really hard on just using my wrist but as i gradually build up speed i find my arm is doing the work.

Any tips on how i can stop using my arm?
i tend to anchor with my pinky. that helps with not using the forearm.
Member #12 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

Samauri #2 if your interested.
practice man, that's about it
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Use a song like 'In The Fire' by Roadrunner United. Thats got so much tremolo picking in it, youll be a pro in no time...
Well, it sounds like you've been usin your entire arm for a lot of stuff if it's even affectin your tremelo pickin. My advice is this. Do different techniques with jus your hand. For example, PM jus 1 string. Do it with a up, down, uo, down, etc. Get that good chugg-chugg sound goin. Make sure that only your wrist moves, not your fingers and not your arm. Then try doin some scale drills by jus usin your wrist as you pick each note. Once you've gotten those things down good, then try the same technique with tremelo pickin. The key is to only move your wrist as you pick, remember that.
It'll take some gettin used to. But it'll improve your overall technique a lot. So, without further ado, I send you out to practice til your wrist (NOT arm) gets tired and fingers get sore. Have fun and good luck. Peace, man!
If your gradually speeding up and noticing that your arm is doing the work you speed up too soon. Dont feel bad it takes a long time to relearn a techniuqe that you have already learned wrong. Your correcting the technique so you have to overcome the old tendancy.
Keep playing if you start tensing up and using the arm slow down more. Focus on the feeling of being loose and using the wrist at very slow speeds. Play a piece of music that has fast alt picking or tremolo picking and play i very slowly focusing on the technique of the loose wrist. If you tighten up you simply went to fast and the muscles are reverting to the way you first taught them. This is about the only way your going to fix it. Be patient man its not going to happen overnight.

But that said this is not a question of anchoring or not its a question of practcing well enough for long enough to "reprogram" your muscles into the new technique rather than the technique they have "memorised" thus far. If the TS wants to learn about anchoring he can read one of the many threads on the pros and cons of it with the search bar. So lets just leave the anchoring issue out and avoid a useless debate thats been done to death.
Quote by the_hoodster
Im gettin really annoyed. When i tremelo pick i find im using my entire forearm n its slowing me down, i concentrate really hard on just using my wrist but as i gradually build up speed i find my arm is doing the work.

Any tips on how i can stop using my arm?

I'm afraid you're building up the speed too quickly. Don't play at a tempo where you start using your forearm too much. You need to be relaxed and accurate, and that means slowing right down to nothing and practicing all the way back up to wherever you think you are - believe me, you'll be such a better picker in 6 months if you follow this advice you'll be ashamed you thought you were picking.

Read the first link in my sig for reasons NOT TO ANCHOR.
Quote by Freepower

Read the first link in my sig for reasons NOT TO ANCHOR.

jesus christ yes, no anchoring for good reasons. FP knows whats up