Okay, so I am going to get an LTD EC500 very soon and I am going to use it mainly for heavy metal. my friend has the Crate GT1200H / G412ST half stack and it does have a feedback problem, but wouldn't it sound just fine with a noise suppressor pedal? please give me advice. i can get one of these babies for $300 and thats the best deal i've seen for a halfstack.

My price range is no more than $300-350 since I am getting the LTD as well.
Don't bother getting a cheap solid state half stack, they may look cool but they sound just as bad as those 15w practice amps. Even if you solve the feedback issue, you will be left with a nasty sterile tone.

At that price range, I would recommend a good modelling amp such as the Roland cube 60 or peavey vypyr 75.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Oct 28, 2008,
A noise suppression pedal will NOT solve the feedback problem. You're gonna regret it if you get a cheap halftstack. Trust me, those things are crap. Plus, it ain't even a Tube amp, man.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
At that price range, I would recommend a good modelling amp such as the Roland cube 60 or peavey vypyr 75.

Roland Cube 60

Yeah, get this. I have 1. Built like a ****in tank, 6 effects, 6 tones, etc. It's a nice ****in buy, man. So, buy this, dammit!
I am a Crate fanatic and I would not even buy one of those half stacks. If you are interested in playing a Crate, you should look into getting a used GT3500H Shockwave with at GT412SL. 350 watts and it can compete with some of the best amps out there.

But to answer your question, you can fix the feedback problem by using a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppression pedal. It will cost you about $100.
Quote by Pants1985
I am a Crate fanatic and I would not even buy one of those half stacks. If you are interested in playing a Crate, you should look into getting a used GT3500H Shockwave with at GT412SL. 350 watts and it can compete with some of the best amps out there.

No.

Thats basically the same amp, but louder. Volume =/= tone.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
No.

Thats basically the same amp, but louder. Volume =/= tone.

That is not the same amp at all. The Preamp is completely different, and the GT3500H comes with true spring reverb. The sound and tone from the 3500 are amazing. You cannot beat it.
Sorry its just a fact you dont get any kind of good halfstack on a low budget. Iknow 2 guys in a band both with budget halfstacks, 1 a hartke and the other a line 6 both are fighting serious feedback issues. They ask why my little 1 speaker 30 watt tube amp is louder, doesnt feedback and sounds so much better. Economics, they invested less in 2 headunits, 2 speaker cabs and 8 speakers than I did in my combo amp. You get what you pay for.
get a tube amp bro. I have a crate solid state and it sounds bloody horrible when its turned up past 5! so IMO
TUBES!
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Member of the Bugera Users Militia