Ok, so my lead guitarist recently left my band to move to Ireland and we've made the decision to carry on as a power trio rather than getting another guitarist to fill the space. The upshot of this is that I get a pretty enviable amount of sonic space to play around with between my friends crazy drumming and guitar work, but I have a problem.
The reduction in the size of my band means i need to be alot more versatile, often within the same song, switching from carrying the melody to falling in behind a wall of guitar noise pretty quickly and in some cases, singing. This makes for some enjoyable playing which I can handle physically, but problems start to occur when my bass becomes too punchy in a quiet verse and too feeble to carry a real solo. I try to compensate for this in my technique, but really, it just isn't enough.

So, on to my question, I'm wondering what pedals might be useful as a way of allowing me to rapidly change my sound. I would obviously like an EQ pedal first and foremost, but i know next to nothing about what sort I want, or what brands are good (my amp has a 15 inch speaker anyway, so adding extra bass is NOT the issue).

i'm also interested in adding some mild distortion that will keep my low end, but at the same time give me more "punch", but this is more of an afterthought.

My budget should be at most around £150 ($300ish), so keep that in mind before you suggest anything too pricey. Thanks in advance.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Well mate, i would suggest you look at the Sansamp programmable bass driver. It provides Drive, Bass, Treble, Presence, Blend and Level. It is analogue, so you get a lovely sound from it. You can program in three different settings. For example, i have a slap sound, a slightly overdriven sound and a "normal", full bass sound. One flick of the buttons on the pedal and you've changed. I think it costs around 180, though. but trust me man, its a serious piece of kit and well worth it.

Also, on a side note.. make sure you experiemetn with NOT filling the sound too. Space can be just as musical.

Peace

edit: here is a link.. http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver_p.html
To counter Applehead's demonic teachins of the Sansamp, I will throw in a word for the Fulltone Bass Driver.

I set mine up so that it functions as if I have 3 amp channels. My clean signal with it off, a dirty channel with it on and the previous with a clean boost before hand (even more dirty).

Besides, it has thefitz seal of approval (insert .jpg here). However, if you like the sound of the Sansamp, and are likely to be gigging, it may be worth considering it for it DI capabilities.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
To counter gm_jacks counter of Appleheads suggestion, going with the Sansamp would be a wise choice. Not only is it a phenomanal device but the added DI capability is a huge bonus. The thing also just sounds great no matter how you have the thing set. I own the Sansamp Bass Driver which is the same thing basically but I only have the ability to choose one sound. To be able to choose between three different sounds would be a great advantage.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
My Fulltone and Micro POG are the most essential and significant part of my effects chain. However, they are $500 basically, and they aren't DI's. A SansAmp is a good start, it really is, but I don't think you can get too nuts in that budget, past a multi-fx pedal (which I am surprisingly supportive of as a stepping stone to great tone).

Oh, and I demand a jpeg with each and every seal I approve. And someone else has to post it. Not me. That's just pretentious.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..