I have been playing guitar since junior year of highschool, I'm in college now, so I guess that makes it 2 1/2 - 3 years. Something like that.

I think I can play pretty good, but probably in reality its only average. I want to start a band. I'm not sure if I'm good enough yet though.

I know 21-open, all the barred shapes, about a dozen jazz chords, strum patterns, finger-picking, arpeggios, power chords, etc. Theory is pretty good, circle of 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, circle of #'s and b's, circle of keys, how to build chords, transposition, key modulation, etc.

How do I know when I'm ready?
I've been playing in a band for 2 years, and I've only been playing for 3 1/2 years in total. Dont know much theory, just the basics up to grade 3. I seriously think you're ready.

Rock on!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
sounds like you are ready to rock brother
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
How do I know when I'm ready?

You'll feel it

I know 21-open, all the barred shapes, about a dozen jazz chords, strum patterns, finger-picking, arpeggios, power chords, etc. Theory is pretty good, circle of 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, circle of #'s and b's, circle of keys, how to build chords, transposition, key modulation, etc.

honestly, that doesn't matter. I may helps, but I know kids who play guitar for 10 years and they can solo 20 minute long, but they still suck on writing own songs and stuff like this...

Much more important is that you belive in what you do, and that you're creative and can write your own stuff (Coverbands are reallllly boring )

So, if you think you can, look for some people, sit around and start to jam. If it sounds good, than you know you've done everything alright
The sex pistols started the band and most of the members didn't have a clue how to play.

You're more than ready
鋼の錬金術師
Just a forewarning, all the theory in the world doesn't teach you how to play with a band but as long as your timing's ok you should be fine.
Quote by OrangeWalls
You'll feel it

honestly, that doesn't matter. I may helps, but I know kids who play guitar for 10 years and they can solo 20 minute long, but they still suck on writing own songs and stuff like this...

Much more important is that you belive in what you do, and that you're creative and can write your own stuff (Coverbands are reallllly boring )

So, if you think you can, look for some people, sit around and start to jam. If it sounds good, than you know you've done everything alright

I've written 6 or 7 songs so far, they're pretty good actually, except for one or two.

Mostly folk, glam, and jazz-blues.
hell if you're writing songs already id definitely say you are ready
Gear:
Ibanez PC5
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Vypry 15w
Quote by lewis_grey
Just a forewarning, all the theory in the world doesn't teach you how to play with a band but as long as your timing's ok you should be fine.

My timing is "okay", but I'm still taking lessons, so in a month or two, it should be fine, right?
Quote by neptune1988
My timing is "okay", but I'm still taking lessons, so in a month or two, it should be fine, right?

Don't worry about that... the best place to learn is in a band
I never had a single lesson and im playing since 3 or 4 years, and im play much better than my other guitarist, who is taking lessons for 6 years, so^^ just beginn to play, the rest follows
Yep, being in a band will greatly help your development into a balanced musician. It's a good thing to start young. Try to start a band with musicians who are at similar stages in their playing to where you're at but try to play with as many different people as possible. It's something that I would have loved to have done more of when I was just starting out.
ive been playing for 6 years but I still take lessons, I'm learning all kind sof styles now, you're ready to be in a band.
Don't worry about it man. I only know the name of the strings. I know chords, but not their names, just how to play. I don't count anything out, it's kinda just how i'm feeling' it. I'm only 14 and have been playing for like 6 months (got my guitar last April). I play bass for one band and guitar for another. I haven't taken a lesson for anything (I tried taking the course in school, but it was like ".........").

In short you're fine man, my bands got our demo out and we've been together for like three months.

you're okay.
You can't really 'work up' to being ready to play in a band, playing with others is a completely different skill to bedroom jamming, and the only way to improve at it is to play with other people.

That said, it sounds like you're confident with the guitar, and not afraid to try out new ideas, just go for it!