Is it possible to unify Science and Religion to one?
Science and Religion have both been described as systems for making valid ontological statements about the world, epistemologically, religions tend to rely on revealed ontology: either knowledge about the world that was divinely revealed or knowledge that is 'revealable' to anyone who pursues proper spiritual practices.
Science, by contrast, is pragmatic, relying on observable, repeatable experiences to justify its ontological claims. (copy pasta from Wikipedia)
These two views are completely in contrast with each other, but there can be a unification between both views.

Einstein believes in the unification with this sarcastic quote: "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

What are your beliefs? Is the unification possible?

(I think this should go apart from the religion thread and the science thread since this talks about it's unification whilst the other threads are separate arguments, if i'm wrong, delete thread)
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Scientology.

Or, Jesus was a raptor. That too.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
hahahaha simply... no

in my thoughts.... religion has been used in the past to explain the unexplainable...

now we have science to explain these things...

I don't think they can co-exist I think science is going to replace religion
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Wulphy

Or, Jesus was a raptor. That too.

That post made my day.

Quote by Moggan13
Someones been reading Angels And Demons by Dan Brown

I have.

I have the book but I've never read it, it talks about this topic?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
....creation VS evolution thread?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Yes the unification is possible. Religious beliefs are no less provable than many scientific theories so why not?
Untill we find out science is all just a psychologic twist on how things work; and that we really are plugged into the matrix.

But untill that time we have science and religion.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by XxLloydxX
That post made my day.

I have the book but I've never read it, it talks about this topic?

No it doesn't, lol. It's scientist vs. religion though.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by food1010
Yes the unification is possible. Religious beliefs are no less provable than many scientific theories so why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory#Science

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_belief
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by food1010

but science is trying to prove that which is unknown...

religion tells us to believe what a bunch of texts thousands of years old tells us is true.

there are too many conflicting issues for unification
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
You know what else Einstein said:
"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
No, it would be hard to unify both into a worldly religion/belief.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Here's the thing. Science cannot, by its definition, make any value judgements. For example, someone can say, "Huh, I have $5". Science's correct response to that is, "This person holds the value of those pieces of material as $5. However, if these materials were in another form, they would hold little or no value to said person". See? Science can't attach value to somethin.

Religion can. It can say, "The world was created in this way, on this number of days, etc." Science can only say, "Maybe the world came to be through this process. BUT (here's the big mother****ing but) we CANNOT know for sure. Why? We weren't there when the world came to be as it is now. We weren't there for the 'creation of the world' or 'the big bang', etc. So, we can only guess."

Now, is religion always right? No! But it does fulfill a role in society that science cannot. Belief in somethin bigger than us humans.
That's almost impossible as one disproves the other. In that sense, you can't have one without the other, in a ying/yangy sort of way...
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by maninthebox24
You know what else Einstein said:
"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

Einstein's belief towards science and religion was it's Unification though. God isn't what makes religion.

Quote by Slovak_Ghost

but science is trying to prove that which is unknown...

religion tells us to believe what a bunch of texts thousands of years old tells us is true.

there are too many conflicting issues for unification

Science has even sometimes proven it's own science that it's wrong with scientific revolutions (it's possible for another scientific revolution to occur, how do we know everything proven is for real?), our existence is already something odd, the existence of the universe and such, science can't describe what was before the universe or before that, but understanding of spiritual religious teachings could. Sometimes religion is needed to try to stop of from evil actions we are able to take, to add more meaning to life and afterlife. Science is also needed to make us see how the world works in reality. If we take the contrast between both S and R, we may be able to unify them.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
I think they're two seperate entities but they don't conflict. Science can't disprove or prove God so religion is more of a belief while science is what you can evidently see and can draw reliable conclusions from.
Religion = interpreting life through your mind
science = life through your body and discovering things through your senses (i.e. what you can see, feel etc.).
Science is easier to prove because we all have the same five sense while we all have different minds.
Through your mind, you can also find things beautiful; think independantly which is something science can't explain.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Last edited by untalented at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

You hold a incredibly stupid view of religion.

I personally believe that Religion and Science can coexist. I am a Rastafarian and I certainly accept science as perfectly valid provided it is actually researched thoroughly and accurately and without bias.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
hahahaha simply... no

in my thoughts.... religion has been used in the past to explain the unexplainable...

now we have science to explain these things...

I don't think they can co-exist I think science is going to replace religion

Well, science doesn't explain the purpose and reasons for many events, religion can still explain the ''why' questions we face. So there still is place for it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Easily. 'Science was created by God, reactions happen because that is how god intended things to be'

There's me combined them, personally I think it's bullshit but a lot of people have started using this argument.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Many scientists are religious, so yea I think it's pretty possible. There would be some contradictions, but if you don't take the bible 100% literally, you'll be ok.
the two cant live side by side. Theres just no way. One day science will disprove religion, not that will do anything to dampen those naive religious beliefs.
Religion is a way for lonely people to feel less so and to help us deal with our mortality.
Science is fact.
No they are counter productive to one another

Science=rational way of trying to explain things
Religion=irrational way of trying to explain things
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
religion and philosophy thread
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by freddaahh
Well, science doesn't explain the purpose and reasons for many events, religion can still explain the ''why' questions we face. So there still is place for it.

I hope you're kidding. The basic purpose of science is to explain things, and how they work through REASON based on observation/experimentation.

Religion on the other hand, expects us to believe on something without real proof. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against religion, but your statement is clearly has a fallacy.

Just to put it out there, why are some religious nuts out there against science, in the end if there is a god, science will prove it, if not, well, I guess some people will be searching harder...
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?