The pedal I use now is a Behrigner and it is very noisy.
I really need a pedal that has a "punk" sound to it. Any ideas?
(i don't want it to be noisy)

(my amp is a park amp)

EDIT: What tube amp do you recommend me to purchase?
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

Guitars: Fender

Pedals: Behrigner Ultra Metal
Last edited by Insomniac_123 at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by Insomniac_123
The pedal I use now is a Behrigner and it is very noisy.
I really need a pedal that has a "punk" sound to it. Any ideas?
(i don't want it to be noisy)

(my amp is a park amp)

ibanez sm7
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Cool. I looked on reviews and it sounded cool.
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

New amp.

Sorry.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Well I looked at a few Marshalls but they were a bit over budget...

And marshalls aren't the end all of amps, the people around here can certainly help you pick out a good one for cheap if you want.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Insomniac_123
Well I looked at a few Marshalls but they were a bit over budget...

ebay?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Get a very high gain pedal. Punk is nothing but lots of high gain and powerchords. It has to be edgy too. Pedals to recreate sounds always won't be as good, but try a digitech grunge. I personally hate digitech pedals but that pedal will get fairly close
Also, if you don't want a lot of "noise", look into a noise suppressor. (ISP Decimator)
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
get a ds2, or if you've got the budget, get a new amp, maybe a cube or something if you're just gonna be practicing at home.
Quote by injected
Get a very high gain pedal. Punk is nothing but lots of high gain and powerchords. It has to be edgy too. Pedals to recreate sounds always won't be as good, but try a digitech grunge. I personally hate digitech pedals but that pedal will get fairly close

Do NOT listen to this guy. What he just described is a metal guitar tone/playing style. A good punk rock sounds is achieved with a medium amount of gain, lots of mids, and high volume. Play barre chords or open chords rather than power chords because they give the thick fuzzy sound that punk rock is founded on.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Do NOT listen to this guy. What he just described is a metal guitar tone/playing style. A good punk rock sounds is achieved with a medium amount of gain, lots of mids, and high volume. Play barre chords or open chords rather than power chords because they give the thick fuzzy sound that punk rock is founded on.

I agree with this.

A tube amp and distortion would do the best for punk, punk is very natural and raw. Not digitalized with pedals.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by RizzoWashburn

Do NOT listen to the second half of this guys advice. His tone advice is good, but seriously punk is mostly powerchords. and have you ever tried playing an open chords with distortion and a fair ammount of gain? yeh...it doesn't sound punk at all, it just sounds terrible, even if you palm mute it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
What kind of punk is important. If it is Greenday/Blink-182, which hardly consider punk, as much as I hate to say it, a DS-1 may be for you.
Stuff like Screeching Weasles, Propaghandi, Dead Kennedys, some Ramones stuff- probably something thicker and harsher like a Pro Co Rat.
The Rat is probably your best bet. A very versatile pedal that can go from blues to thrash.

EDIT: I just remembered. The new Rats are crap. Don't buy one on musiciansfriend. Get one on Ebay, Craigslist, or used. 2006 and back are good pedals. From 2007 to now, they have gone WAY down hill.
Quote by l3p4rd
I agree with this.

A tube amp and distortion would do the best for punk, punk is very natural and raw. Not digitalized with pedals.

Sorry, but nobody is going to get anything close to a real punk sound without shelling hundreds on a tube amp that sounds great by itself.

And what I described would also be for metal yes, but did you know that NOFX's guitarists plays a telecaster through a triple rectifier? The tons of gain on tap, coupled with a shitload of mids will make a punk tone.. but it's very likely the original poster doesn't have that much money (hence the pedal)

I just recommended something cheap(you can get one for like 20 bucks used if you look..)

Quote by RizzoWashburn

Maybe we have different ideas of punk..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZ1OTcGyQA
Quote by injected
Sorry, but nobody is going to get anything close to a real punk sound without shelling hundreds on a tube amp that sounds great by itself.

And what I described would also be for metal yes, but did you know that NOFX's guitarists plays a telecaster through a triple rectifier? The tons of gain on tap, coupled with a shitload of mids will make a punk tone.. but it's very likely the original poster doesn't have that much money (hence the pedal)

I just recommended something cheap(you can get one for like 20 bucks used if you look..)

Maybe we have different ideas of punk..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZ1OTcGyQA

Actually, in operation ivy, Tim (Lint) used alot of barre and open chords.

Ska punk tends to do that.

and NOFX isn't exactly the epitome of a punk band, I like them, but they have alot of ska and pop punk elements.

For practice a Boss ds-2 will do, but if you're gigging, you're going to get frustrated fast with a distortion pedal.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Mathamology
What kind of "punk" do you play? Pop/modern or classic?

I do a bit of both, and play punk from my favoite band green day.

I'd personally recommend a Boss Ds1 works a treat! dont know how much they are in the states but in the good old United Kingdom there about £30.00

Hope that helped you.
Yeah, I am in the Uk and I am going to get one soon.

Hell, I play with everything turned up on my amp on the distortion channel. I also use a Boss OD-1 and a MT-2 for a wide range of sounds. Its really up to you on what you want to use. If you're going to start your own punk band the best thing to do is come up with your own sound. Using tones that are already used is not really punk. NOFX uses a huge variety of distortion. But to keep it simple just use ****loads of gain. Play fast and loud and you're good to go. Keep it simple and don't come up with fancy riffs.
Boss pedals alter tone. And suck. And are overpriced.

Most punk bands use JCM800s, and the closest you'll get to that in a pedal is MI Audio's Crunch Box.