Hello! I'm doing Rockschool Grade 3 soon, and my teacher's buggared off on his honeymoon! He should HOPEFULLY be back by the time my exam is, but there is a chance he won't be.

So I was wondering, for the exam, you have to do a Improvisation & Interpretation piece. You are given tab, with chords over the top... It's easy to find what key it's in, if both the beginning and end chords are the same, but if they're powerchords, do you just use the minor of that chord? G5 is G Minor?

What if the start and end chords aren't right, do I then use my major and minor scales, and if a note is in the piece that isn't in the major scale, it's in a minor key. I get about if it's in say... A major, you solo in B minor?

Would anyone be able to assist, and, if I've gone wrong, tell me where I'm going wrong?

Cheers in advance!
Quote by The Gore Child
It's easy to find what key it's in, if both the beginning and end chords are the same,

those chords don't necessarily imply the key the music is in. go to www.musictheory.net to be able to easily identify keys with the trainers there.

Quote by The Gore Child

What if the start and end chords aren't right, do I then use my major and minor scales, and if a note is in the piece that isn't in the major scale, it's in a minor key. I get about if it's in say... A major, you solo in B minor?

if the key is Amaj, you definitely wont be soloing in Bm. you'd be soloing in Amaj.
read the links in my sig, and the theory sticky in this forum.
haha i remember doing grade 3 rock school thing and having no idea what to do with the soloing as well

you cant really give a simple answer without seeing the piece itself
however you can pretty much figure out what key it is in by looking at the chords

what pieces you doing by the by?
Hey Guy
I'm doing Been There, Little Shady and Download. They're all on my YouTube profile if you wanna check them out!

And to the guy above you, my teacher said soloing in major doesn't sound as good... So you swap it to the minor so it sounds better.
hmmmm
diwnload was the one with all the one string picking right?
think i did trenchtown and pipeline

if you give the chords for each, pretty much everyone can tell you the key

and in terms of the major versus minor thing
that is incredibly objective, different people prefer different thing
and anyway, you'd be playing the same notes anyway
Hey Guy
Ah, cool. So how do I work out what key to play in from the chords? Use the major and minor scale to check if the chords (notes) are in it?

Download is the Rock type one.. Been There the kinda like.. Alternative one. Little Shady is Hip-hop, I think.
Quote by The Gore Child
Ah, cool. So how do I work out what key to play in from the chords? Use the major and minor scale to check if the chords (notes) are in it?

Precisely

Or you could learn which chords are in what key, i.e. Root note is major, 2nd is monr, 3rd is minor, 4th is major etc.

After a while, you'll just be able to see "G, C, D, Am" and within half a second know it;s the key of G.