Hey guys I've been playing bass for a good year or so and I'm just starting to get into playing slap stuff but I've come across a problem. How would I go about muting the lower string if I where playing something like this:

E--0---------
A-----5---7--

Cheers
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Palm or unused fingers on the fretting hand. I am not sure what kind of muting you are talking about here.
wit yo fingers on the fretting hand
edit:i assume that you want it muted because your getting a vibration from it when you are slapping the A string
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
how i would do that is not cleanly fret the D on the A string and have the tip of my finger mute the E string when i fret the A.

well mabey not cleanly is the right choice of words but mabey you get what im saying.
I'd use the middle finger of my left hand, or you can use the palm of your right hand.
Quote by TormentedRx
Palm or unused fingers on the fretting hand. I am not sure what kind of muting you are talking about here.

After playing the E note and going down to the D note the E is still ringing, I would mute the E with my fretting hand then?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Last edited by Ripper_66 at Oct 28, 2008,
Mute it with the base of your palm.

Muting is one of the hardest things to master on a bass.
The trouble is I don't really have time to mute with my right hand as it's a part of a fairly fast passage.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
You need to refine your slap technique so that your slapping hand is more controlled. it should all be in your wrist, not your arm.

Actually, i've just looked at your initial post. You are playing the open E first correct? So your index finger should around the D on the a string correct? So your fretting hand does the muting for this section.
when you fret the 5 aon the A string
have your finger not only fret the A string but touch the E string with the top of the same finger.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Cheers I know what I'm doing now My slap technique does need a lot of work but I wanted to make sure I had the right idea here before I went off and practiced it wrongly :P
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass