So I have a few questions to ask. First my band has been together for a year and we play at bars usuall from 9pm-1:30 am. During this time we fit in about 4 sets of songs which run about 45-55 minutes each. How would you set up multiple sets of sogns to please the crowds? It has been fine so far but I think we need to change the songs up cause they are getting too predictable for weekly gigs at local joints. Jist of sets right now are:
Warm up songs: such as born to be wild, jack and diane, sweet child, so on...
Dance toons:jenny jenny, mony mony, hurt so good, freebird, kissed a girl, etc
harder rock songs: Sweet home, cold hard bitch, heart breaker, enter sandman, crazy train

then end night with softer rock songs, belly rubbersne last breath, wonderful tonight, away from the sun, time of your life.

Would you agree with how the sets are set up now? those arent even close to all the songs we play but just examples that are in those sets...

Also had issues with singer lately feeling he knew whats best for band. His reason is hes invested more money in the band (mixers, monitors, speakers) and hes DJed for years so we should all trust him... but me and a few other members have suggestions and hear stuff from other people in crowd and he doesn't consider the suggestions.... What do you recommend I do with him? hes a great guy but sometimes hes unreasonable hes turning "our" band into "his" band.
He's got LSD.

Lead Singer Disease.

Tell him what you just told us - it's not his band, it's our band. See what he says and go from there.

As far as your set list - don't you do ANY original stuff? A couple covers is all well and good, but unless you wanna be strictly a cover band, they shouldn't take up your whole set.

My advice, regardless, is keep the progression of material, as far as chill, heavy, rock, etc. the same, BUT -

Play a real slammer after the mellow end - somethin really unexpected that grabs and TAKES everyone's attention in the audience. It'll keep your band on their mind long after the set ends.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I like your set list...wish i could hear you guys play sometime. Don't know if I'd like it better or not without knowing what else you can play...

As far as the singer's concerned...maybe the rest of the band should say something to him before he goes all Axl Rose on you. If he's still being unreasonable and making it not fun, find someone else and kick him out. I'm sure you could replace the gear he brought with him
Sounds like you have your very own Axl Rose.... Congrats lol...

EDIT: Damn ^^^^^^^^^ ¬.¬
Well we have 5 origionals we mix up in the 3rd and 4th sets. But bars don;t pay for your songs, they are fine with them once in awhile but for most part they pay you to entertain people with stuff they will know. At other places it would be different but its how things work around here. I dont know why he acts so Axlish considering Me and the bass player wrote all the songs so far cause he doesnt try to help too much. We play probably 68-75 songs a night but we have 105 we could pull off. probably sounds like alot and hard to believe, but its true... could polish more
Quote by ehlert99
Well we have 5 origionals we mix up in the 3rd and 4th sets. But bars don;t pay for your songs, they are fine with them once in awhile but for most part they pay you to entertain people with stuff they will know. At other places it would be different but its how things work around here. I dont know why he acts so Axlish considering Me and the bass player wrote all the songs so far cause he doesnt try to help too much. We play probably 68-75 songs a night but we have 105 we could pull off. probably sounds like alot and hard to believe, but its true... could polish more

Jeez, we pull of 30-35 song sets and stretch them out to about 3-3.5 hours.

Your singer must lost his voice nightly.
we have two singers, a girl and guy... guy does most songs but the girl sings higher pitched ones like guns n roses and all the chick ones... she does a good job but has a hard time memorizing the songs... I will try to get our song list from bass player and show you what we do.
You guys average 70 songs in a set? Jesus - either that is an eight hour set, or you TRL your songs and only play 30 seconds of them.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
look at it like this, its 4 sets totaling 65-75 songs... seems like alot right? well not ever song is a 7 minute rock ballad, some songs are barely past 2 minutes and break between songs (not sets) is around 15 seconds-25 seconds... it can be done and we sometimes string songs together so they are back to back
Quote by ehlert99
look at it like this, its 4 sets totaling 65-75 songs... seems like alot right? well not ever song is a 7 minute rock ballad, some songs are barely past 2 minutes and break between songs (not sets) is around 15 seconds-25 seconds... it can be done and we sometimes string songs together so they are back to back

I don't think anyone is saying that you guys don't do it, but just amazed at how many songs you guys can play. I have trouble remembering how to play 25 songs much less 75!!

If you guys are able to get one of your set lists up I would love to see it, maybe to even steal some of your ideas.
well first set goes like this, from top of my head

Born to be wild
Give me one good reason
Jack and Diane
Small things
The middle
Summer of 69
Plush
All Star
Mary janes last dance
Hash pipe
She Hates me
Kerosene
Last Name
Sweet Child O' Mine

about 14 songs.... bear with me it is off the top of my head. Bass player said he will send me over all the songs we play but its not in set order our other set list is hand written so it would take forever to fill it out... Looking at this we do a few more songs in the other sets but comes out to around 60 not 65-75... but we know more..

I would also like to point out before we started getting weekly gigs it took about 6 months to get down 50 songs cause we had an older guitarist (we later ditched) so took awhile to get them down cause he kept forgetting chord progressions and so on... but took awhile before we could do all these songs frequently... we have been together about a year and 3 months
Last edited by ehlert99 at Oct 28, 2008,
Oh our dance set (2nd) are these songs USUALLY but not always

Hit me with your best shot
I love rock n roll
Hurt so good
Takin care of business
Labamba (shortened it cause it can be a long song)
Brown eyed girl
Johnny B. Goode
Blister in the sun]]
Mony Mony]]]]]]]]] these three are played back to back and the keys are changed to fit
Jenny Jenny]]]]]]]]]
Sharp Dressed Man
American Idiot
U and Ur Hand - Pink... oh yea we play it
Kissed a Gil - its a weird song but people really eat it up
FREEBIRD!!! (shortened solo)
Wow! Nice setlists! You have a good mix there. People should learn from this as far as picking crowd pleasers. Lots of the set advice around here gets really misguided as people have really no idea what a bar crowd wants or expects.

You also hit the nail right on the head in your response to the question about originals. Clubs book either cover bands (and they will tolerate the odd original) or original bands (and they will tolerate the odd cover.) If you are playing to a crowd who expects covers, you damned well better give 'em covers.

As far as the number of songs, it seems like a lot. Around here, a cover band is expected to play three or four 45-60 minute sets. (three 60's or four 45's kind of thing) In any case, that comes out to about 40 songs or so for a night's work. A lot of people don't realize that a true 'working' cover band plays a ton of songs in a night, and will have a ton of extras on reserve for mixing things up, requests, etc.

A good singer who sings with good technique will actually get stronger as the night wears on - even after doing 40 songs. It is the singer with no technique who kills his voice before the night is out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In response to your questions, you have a tough situation. I think mixing things up as the night goes on is a good idea. Keep the audience on their toes so to speak. If your singer has genuine DJ experience (not as in "I set up my iPod through a PA at my sister's wedding" kind of experience), he may well know what he's talking about.

However, if you guys have been playing out and you have collectively learned over 100 songs as a band, you're no rookie either. Your posts clearly suggest you know how this all works. I'm just wondering what each of you are suggesting, and what sorts of opinions and discussions follow.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Our suggestions go as far as who sings what because sometimes the bass player will siing a song (all star for example) and while people get into it cause its a good song, we hear from others his voice isn't that great. And them sometimes hes tone death when he does backing vocals. In fact he messes up alot to on his parts of songs and when he tries to get back on track he messes up more and starts to make it sound like me and the drummer are the ones at fault...

aside from him, I feel we should fine tune songs cause we have a few small changes in some (we do authority song and the intro isnt quite the same... would like to fix that) and even pauses inbetween songs....

In the end we suggest reasonable stuff and he kind of blows it off like hes afraid to try a change or hurting someones feelings (bass player)

Thanks for liking the songs, helps reinforce we have a good first two sets.
All sounds reasonable to me, as far as what you are suggesting...

You have the luxury of having more than one singer. Go with it, but make sure that whoever sings the song is the best one to sing it.

CT