Hey guys,
I'm buying a new guitar soon but I still can't decide on the wood.
I like screaming solos and brightness of alder body but mahogany seems better harmonically and high notes are sooo full and deep that I don't know what to choose .
I play Malmsteen, Vai and Symphony X and some Gary Moore.
To be honest I simply play every instrumental song that I find good sounding and worth practicing so some Iron Maiden, Shawn Lane, Dream Theater, Ozzy Osborne and Paul Gilbert count aswell.
It should be bright, but alder bodies sound so thin in comparison to mahogany. Or maybe it's just an amp issue?
The options are ESP M-II with maple fretboard and SDs and ESP Horizon FR-II with bright pickups (SD 59', SD Blackout).
Which option would you choose for the stuff I play?
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Shadowy
Hey guys,
I like screaming solos and brightness of alder body but mahogany seems better harmonically and high notes are sooo full and deep that I don't know what to choose .
To be honest I simply play every instrumental song that I find good sounding and worth practicing so some Iron Maiden, Shawn Lane, Dream Theater, Ozzy Osborne and Paul Gilbert count aswell.
It should be bright, but alder bodies sound so thin in comparison to mahogany. Or maybe it's just an amp issue?
The options are ESP M-II with maple fretboard and SDs and ESP Horizon FR-II with bright pickups (SD 59', SD Blackout).

Idk, could be an amp issue, or I just got a lucky, because both my alder bodied Strat and LP sound really full. I like alder because of the versatility, it kind of does everything well, and sounds good in any situation. A maple fretboard paired with an alder body will give you a bright, strat-like sound, though. That could be either a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for tone wise.
What about a basswood guitar?
Reccomended alot for instrumental stuff like Vai, Gilbert, etc.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Shadowy
Hey guys,

Most of the music you listen has mahogany.

But, for me, when it comes to alder and mahogany, just buy whatever has the features you want, etc. Both wood are good.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Unfortunatelly there are no ESP guitars in my country at all so I can't test them anyway.
Otherwise I could just visit the nearest shop and stop nagging people about their opinions xD.
Honestly-what do you think about mahogany wood?
Good?Bad?Muddy?Bright pups should do fine?Why?
Gettin' better ^_^