Hello, so I put together a strat not too long ago, but I have never quite been able to get it to intonate correctly. So I've been comparing it to my other guitars, and at the first fret the string is way higher than any of my other guitars. On my others the string is just barely above the first fret, but on my strat there is a bigger gap between the string and the first fret.

So I think the nut is too high (the groove the string goes through that is). I mean there's no way that my guitar can be properly intonated when it has to go down that far from open to the first fret. How should I go about fixing this? Can I somehow very slightly file it down? Do I need a new nut? Is that even my problem?

Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Yeah i would just gently file it down one by one. But make sure you dont file it down too far because you will have to get a new nut probably or raise the bridge or something.
Don't file the grooves down, instead, take the nut out, and sand the bottom of it down.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
yer slowly file it down but if you go to far put some super glue in the slot and start again....
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Your bridge/saddle placement is going to affect intonation for more than your nut height.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Absent Mind, you're totally right. I have been playing with the bridge / saddle position a ton, and I have it perfectly in tune open, and at the 12th fret. I just think that because the string has to travel so much farther than it needs to that is causing it to be slightly sharp.

Am I correct in thinking that if it's in tune open, and at the 12th then I've got my saddles set up properly?
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
no, if the harmonic at the 12th and the fretted note at the 12th are the same, then its right.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Just looked at my Acoustic and the distance between your E string and the first fret, is about the thickness of a fret.

On my Acoustic, i have that distance at the 5th fret. Height above the first fret is about 1/64 at a guess.

So yes your nut is too high.

Run a razor along its edges if there is any finish there, then gently tap it out across the neck (it's sitting in a groove).

Also, your nut slots are cut too deep. They should be about half the depth of the string that sits in them.

Obviously, that can only be done for the E and A, then a touch deeper for the D and just not too deep, flush really for the others.
I don't think so. I have mine perfectly in tune open, at the 12th, and with a harmonic at the 12th, but the first seven or so frets are all sharp, and no, I'm not pressing down too hard.

I think it's the nut if your in tune at the 12th, open, and with the harmonic.
So I should be able to get this intonated so that it's not sharp when fretting a string? I mean right now it's to the point where it just doesn't quite sound right when playing an open chord (because fretted notes are sharp!) and I know that's not right.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
its not your intonation thats off, its your action. All guitars have different actions until you adjust it.
Quote by Musicman48858
Don't file the grooves down, instead, take the nut out, and sand the bottom of it down

This^

If you wanna check if your intonation is correct you have to measure from the nut to the 12th fret and then double that. That measurement is how far away from the nut the bridges saddles (the part where the strings first touch). If thats wrong adjust your saddles.
did u not read the post? yeah, his action is f***ed, but his intonation is screwed, too.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by guitarcam123
its not your intonation thats off, its your action. All guitars have different actions until you adjust it.

This^

If you wanna check if your intonation is correct you have to measure from the nut to the 12th fret and then double that. That measurement is how far away from the nut the bridges saddles (the part where the strings first touch). If thats wrong adjust your saddles.

Dude go back to school.

Measuring from the nut to the 12th fret, then doubling it, is how you measure the scale length. That is only correct for the high E, the other strings are all longer.

Also, if his action is too high (rightly said) it will affect his intonation, because he is stretching the string in order to fret it.

He knows how to check his intonation, but for you, you have to get the the string to sound the same when playing the harmonic at the 12th fret, as it is when fretted at the 12th fret.