....Any of the newer Jackson that I have played, even the USA ones, after Fender took them over just don't feel "right" to me

I have a '86 Randy Rhoads Custom USA (San Dimas)...and it just is AMAZING...I also have a couple of SL-2 soloists that I think where built right before Fender took over and they are quite good as well

Do you guys think the Jackson quality was RUINED once Fender bought them out????
The quality control might have gotten a bit worse, the same could be said for the lower end Gibson's, they both still make great guitars.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
I don't believe so. If anything I think they're quality has gone up. They've replaced most of the bridges on the Pro Series with JT580's or 590's, I don't remember which, and is a huge improvement over the older bridges. They also replaced the Duncan designed that used to come on the majority of the Pro Series with real SD's now.
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
I don't believe so. If anything I think they're quality has gone up. They've replaced most of the bridges on the Pro Series with JT580's or 590's, I don't remember which, and is a huge improvement over the older bridges. They also replaced the Duncan designed that used to come on the majority of the Pro Series with real SD's now.

maybe, but the USA stuff doesn't seem to be worth the money!
Quote by Jeffmo929
maybe, but the USA stuff doesn't seem to be worth the money!

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the USA made ones. I own a 2006 RR5 and a 2008 RR5FR and they are both worth every penny I paid for them.
Nothing USA made anymore is worth the money. Hate to say it, but handmade stuff is so overpriced especally compared to Korea factory made guitars that feel almost the same for 1/3 the price or overseas custom guitars for less then the USA. It's because there made by underpaid employees, but again, it's the cheapest.
Nope, the custom shop guys still build the USA select series. I can tell you first hand that getting an expensive ass USA soloist repaired under warranty is damn near impossible. Nothing but a run around from the word go.

Nice axe, hell yeah. Would I ever buy another one... Hell no!
Quote by pacoasterrider
Nothing USA made anymore is worth the money. Hate to say it, but handmade stuff is so overpriced especally compared to Korea factory made guitars that feel almost the same for 1/3 the price or overseas custom guitars for less then the USA. It's because there made by underpaid employees, but again, it's the cheapest.

very true!!
All old guitar companys have decreased in QC and general quality of guitars manufactured. Its nothing specific to any company.

My 1992 MIM standard feels better than any modern MIM standard ive tried.
Quote by pacoasterrider

Carvin???
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The day I see an assembly line Korean Schecter or Ibanez exceed the build QUALITY of a Jackson, Suhr, Charvel, ESP, or Tom anderson is the day I eat my hat... didn't I just go over this in the MIA vs MIM thread. Better hardware, better fit and finish, better woods, better QC practices, hand assembly, and on stuff like Andersons, hand routed. Tone is subjective. But the Korean guitar is not going to be something Heirloom quality like any high end USA is.

Fender has brought QC up. Real Duncans, Active EMGs, better hardware materials, and have fought to try and bring the Custom Shop quality back up. and I have NEVER heard of J/C screwing someone over with warranty work. Hell, a guy on the JCF got his guitar replaced and was the second owner. A totally new instrument. The only other company with that kind of commitment to their product I know of is Carvin. No, the lame ducks of Jackson, at least import wise, are the Akai era ones. The USAs were still nice, but they ran the shop into the ground and it was Fender that felt the effects of that.
The low priced Kramer Stryker i bought last year (which I believe is owned by Gibson now?) has been amazing since day one. I only spent 300 bucks, and it is seriously the best guitar i've ever played. I absolutely love it.
Quote by CJRocker
The day I see an assembly line Korean Schecter or Ibanez exceed the build QUALITY of a Jackson, Suhr, Charvel, ESP, or Tom anderson is the day I eat my hat... didn't I just go over this in the MIA vs MIM thread. Better hardware, better fit and finish, better woods, better QC practices, hand assembly, and on stuff like Andersons, hand routed. Tone is subjective. But the Korean guitar is not going to be something Heirloom quality like any high end USA is.

Fender has brought QC up. Real Duncans, Active EMGs, better hardware materials, and have fought to try and bring the Custom Shop quality back up. and I have NEVER heard of J/C screwing someone over with warranty work. Hell, a guy on the JCF got his guitar replaced and was the second owner. A totally new instrument. The only other company with that kind of commitment to their product I know of is Carvin. No, the lame ducks of Jackson, at least import wise, are the Akai era ones. The USAs were still nice, but they ran the shop into the ground and it was Fender that felt the effects of that.

I agree with just about everything you said except the part about Schecter and Ibanez. You have to keep the price and quality relative. A prestige shop Ibanez or higher is just as good as all the Jacksons I've played. They might skimp on the pickups but IMO, fake Dimarzios > real EMG's. Schecter's custom shop is rather cheap too, like around $2000. Comprable quality to SUHR. I do love SUHR. Best quilt tops I've ever seen on a guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by AsShadowsRemain

So why are the older San Dimas Jackson in such HIGH demand??
I played a 3 thousand dollar Jackson Custom Shop side by side and 2 different Prestiges and i'd much rather have both of the Ibanez's then the Jackson. Most people can't afford to buy a custom shop guitar, and even more people can't justify the price.

I honestly think it's voodoo to call a custom shop guitar better then a guitar made in a factory with the same woods, same hardware and everything for say 800-1200$ less. Factorys are so precise now that the guitar's aren't "badly built" or shoved together or whatever.
With the recent price increases, Ibanez Prestiges are no longer the great deals as they were before. $900 for a RG1570 is too much IMO. I would take an SL3 or RR24 over an S5470 any day of the week.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
With the recent price increases, Ibanez Prestiges are no longer the great deals as they were before. $900 for a RG1570 is too much IMO. I would take an SL3 or RR24 over an S5470 any day of the week.

True, but if I'm not mistaken, used Ibanez Prestiges are still great deals.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Jeffmo929
....Any of the newer Jackson that I have played, even the USA ones, after Fender took them over just don't feel "right" to me

I have a '86 Randy Rhoads Custom USA (San Dimas)...and it just is AMAZING...I also have a couple of SL-2 soloists that I think where built right before Fender took over and they are quite good as well

Do you guys think the Jackson quality was RUINED once Fender bought them out????

No, its all in your head.

I have a pre-fender soloist, i played 3 other soloists among which 2 fender era ones. They all played exactly the same.
I played an '83 RR1 San Dimas. Superb guitar, but other then the magic of being played for over 20 years, there wasnt anything that made it better than all the rest.
I played 2 RR1's and 1 KV2 from the fender era: played as well as the rest.

I truly find Jackson USA very consistent. It might be coïnsidence, but i dont think quality is going down at Jackson.

Its not because fender owns jackson now, that anything inside the factory changed. These are the same people making the same guitars, using the same tools, just like befor.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I feel Ibanez have the strongest build quality, i own a cheap GRG270B and have done for a few years and its only got better.

This thread isn't about that though, I think Fender improved Jackson for the reasons stated above mainly the better quality parts used
Manchester United
I have an older soloist (pre fender) and recently tried a new one, it felt a bit different but I would say it was very close in quality and feel. The sound was different because I have EMGs in mine, but the sound of the Duncans was very good also. I also tries A japanese one with the bolt-on neck and it was actually very close in feel. The Japanese one is much better value in my opinion.
^ If you're talking used, Jackson Pros and Charvel Models/XL series are much better deals.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
The Pro series is better than before.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by MESAexplorer
I agree with just about everything you said except the part about Schecter and Ibanez. You have to keep the price and quality relative. A prestige shop Ibanez or higher is just as good as all the Jacksons I've played. They might skimp on the pickups but IMO, fake Dimarzios > real EMG's. Schecter's custom shop is rather cheap too, like around $2000. Comprable quality to SUHR. I do love SUHR. Best quilt tops I've ever seen on a guitar.

Well, I think for the money, the QC of Korean Presitge Ibanez is really good. I had a 1990 Ibanez that was an amazing instrument that part of me wishes I kept. It was an S540, and the craftsman ship blew my mind. The attention to detail paid was unreal. But I don't think mid range Korean guitars will equal a high end USA or MIJ offering ever, because that would be counter productive to a companies sales goals. One of the reasons Jackson Professionals were nuettered.
Quote by CJRocker
Well, I think for the money, the QC of Korean Presitge Ibanez is really good. I had a 1990 Ibanez that was an amazing instrument that part of me wishes I kept. It was an S540, and the craftsman ship blew my mind. The attention to detail paid was unreal. But I don't think mid range Korean guitars will equal a high end USA or MIJ offering ever, because that would be counter productive to a companies sales goals. One of the reasons Jackson Professionals were nuettered.

I think those were Japanese. And I imagine the reason why Ibanez started producing the new MIJ Sabers was because people were asking for a S540 RI.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?