Page 1 of 4
Well, I need to make a quick guitar, later i might explain the exact reason for doing so but for now just know that it's an experiment kind of.. soo heres what its going to be

My strat shape
One HB (stewmac golden age I have lying around)
Maple neck/fretboard (Might use something else not sure yet)
Black PG (I have black pg material, why not)
Hardtail bridge (I have an extra one collecting dust)
Gotoh tuners(Dont have these laying around but I love them)
Bone nut (Just purchased a set of nut making files and 4 bone blanks)
Abalone dot inlays (Have them laying around somewhere gotta find them though)
One volume knob (All I need)
Strat output jack (I believe i have one laying around)
2 way truss
Left handed (Once I'm done experimenting on it ill use it)
Poplar body (Just scrapped enough poplar together for a two piece blank)
Painted body (No idea what color yet.)

This should be a quick build

-I've been pretty busy recently so unfortunately I've had no time to post anything with my sg build.. thats coming along alright though

-carousel

edit: pics coming soon, forgot about them haha..
paint it red, and itl b god
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I personally prefer 33 A.D. when they finally killed that bastard Jesus.

^ BRILLIANT^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
So this is a 'chuck together what ever I have lying around' build?

Whats the experiment? *suspense*

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Get a tone control.

Not AS important on a HB strat, but you'll still want to tame the high-end spike of the maple every now and again.
^ exactly! Its not a big experiment or anything, I'm just gonna see if thicker finishes effect sustain, I doubt it's gonna prove anything, but it's something to do.

Right now I'm thinking a cream poly finish.. birdseye neck and fretboard.. I'm charging my camera right now so no pics yet but I'll get em up soon. I just want another strat, my first strat isn't doing so well now (cheap chinese neck and season change) and i'd rather just make another than waste my time with making a new neck for the thing. Ill eventually make a new neck and fix that up though because it was my favorite guitar (until I made the left handed schecter body which was also just a throw what I've got together build)
Can I save you the trouble?

Microns of paint will have less effect on sustain than how well the hardware is mounted, and the size and type of the wood.

It will be a neat experiment though.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.

Maybe ill use a solid rosewood neck i have enough rosewood. Heres the body blank and the hardware.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976

thats as much as im gonna do until i make the neck (i need to wait for my truss rod to come in..)

coming together pretty good, today i shaped all of the cutaways routed the roundover and made the pickguard template..
Im not sure about the rosewood neck yet. I think i might go for a solid maple neck not sure though.. haha yeaaa the back of the guitar is hideous.. I'm not gonna waste any good looking wood on this, might as well use up some scraps..

I am considering a solid black guitar with chrome hardware, but i think id like the look of the cream or maybe white with the solid black pickguard..
Black strats have to be just about the most overdone guitar ever. I vote a more interesting color, i.e. one not readily available from a prominent manufacturer. Or white/cream with a painted pickguard, or something...
maybe ill do something crazy, who knows.. i don't know what i'm gonna do yet.. its not gonna be blue or green though..
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/sites/default/files/kosterdoss2.jpg

Here's a photo of one of the OTC members' strats, which is the reason I thought of the white strat/painted pickguard. Obviously you would want to pick a different design, but I think it looks sweeet.

As for other colors nobody ever sees on a guitar, I think pink or a brightish (i.e. not maroon) purple would actually look fantastic
Hey I know what rare finish would look good on this strat...

an EVH!!! lol

You should get some of that care paint that changes colours at certain angles or something else interesting.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Pearlescent, I think it's called, does that. Unless there's something else that will. Either way, I'm pretty sure that stuff is really expensive.

but it would be awesome.
Is it just me, or is that guitar bigger in the hips than a regular strat?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Sweet! I dig it to the max. Reminds me of my SG, with her sexy ass.... yeah....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
glad to see a strat by the master of strats again, its been a while, exellent work as always
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by Øttər
Is it just me, or is that guitar bigger in the hips than a regular strat?
Alright so it let its self go a little over the summer but no need to go on about it, you know its self conscious!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
yeaa. come to think of it it has been a while.. my last few guitars have been a firebird schecter 006 and an sg.. i love strats!
Quote by carousel182
Phillies Paint!!!!

if the rays won the series, id kill myself

/pissedoffyankeesfan mode

lookin good so far, love that rosewood!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
haha thanks..
I'm a big phillies fan, shocked they won.. very excited haha.. i might consider phillies paint seriously..
yes! my truss rod finally came in.. along with my nut making files, and a bunch of other stuff tuners copper tape, etc...

soo today i made the neck... all that i have to do is shape the back and some sanding and thtll be done.. pics tomorrow.. i'm really busy now.. the neck is birdseye maple with a birdseye fretboard.. abalone dot inlays and side inlays..

not the same neck i was talking about earlier, I scrapped that and cut the truss out haha. I decided that I wanted a solid rosewood neck so today i made one. Its made of bolivian rosewood (outstanding grain on this piece.) All I have to do is carve it taper the FB and sand it and its good. Im really excited to play this, I love this rosewood.

edit: The fingerboard is from the same length of wood as the neck so they match pretty well colorwise.
YES!!!!!!!

awesome
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Man that looks great!

So, the fretboard isn't lined up side to side, so I assume you glue it to the neck, then cut the shape right?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^ well... Ill try to explain this as best as I can.. I made this neck and fretboard out of one length of wood. when i cut the neck out the board was wide enough that i had scrap on the left just big enough for a fretboard. I cut this wood out into as big of a piece as possible and just had enough wood for two fretboards. so I slotted the fretboard with my slotting jig, and then drew a centerline on the fretboard so that the slots were perpendicular to the centerline. I glued the fretboard up so that its centerline corresponds with the centerline of the neck. therefore the slots are straight. The reason that the fretboard appears crooked and uncut in these pictures is that i am yet to taper the board (I do this once the board is glued on by using a router bit with a bearing on the bottom so that it traces the neck.) to get the overhang routed properly I attach a guide to the top of the board using double stick tape and route it out. this way the entire board is tapered perfectly.
Sexy grain lines

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976

I love dots.. i also made a bone nut for the neck.. This is my favorite of all of the necks i've built. I say that every time i build a neck haha. anyway Ill probably do some measuring work and maybe drill the tuner holes
Page 1 of 4