Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Marshall JTM 30
21 49%
Peavey Classic 30
22 51%
Voters: 43.
Which one is closer to the tone you would get from a Plexi, or JCM 800? I'll be adding an overdrive to it. Playing an Epi Les Paul, I need it for blues and rock, and to gig with. Thanks
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

You do realize that the JTMs basically ARE Plexis, right?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
They are? I played my friends JTM 60 the other day, after his gig and it sounded amazing. I've only played a Classic 30 once in guitar center so i just wanted to get some opinions though
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by SSL27

No. That's the 2245, it's not in the JTM series.

The JTM series were a early nineties designed amp. It came in the JTM30, and the JTM60.

the JTM 30 will be a bit more 'Marshally' compared to the Peavey.

Mind you, you aren't going to reach Plexi territory with it. Not really a JCM 800 tone either. It's got a character of it's own.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by SSL27

The JTM30 and 60 are not the same as the JTM45 that gets such high praise.

I like both of them, but the Classic 30 will be more reliable, the JTM30 and 60 are notorious for overheating very quickly, of course, this can be fixed with a fan.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The JTM30 and 60 are not the same as the JTM45 that gets such high praise.

I like both of them, but the Classic 30 will be more reliable, the JTM30 and 60 are notorious for overheating very quickly, of course, this can be fixed with a fan.

I apologize for my misinformation.

Thanks for correcting me, I'll make note of it for next time.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
So which would be better if i did want to get those Plexi/JCM 800 tones? Think Gn'R, Van Halen, Wolfmother, Hendrix for the tone's I want to be able to get. I know those aren't the amps all those band use but they'll be the best i think
Quote by darkstar2466

Well how much is the ceritone? I have 400 usd tops and i've seen both the JTM 30 and the Classic 30 for 350 on ebay. I'd like a DSL but I don't think i have enough
Quote by darkstar2466

yeah. i plan on buying a 400-ish combo, thats still really good, and then maybe a year and a half from now getting a JCM 800 or Plexi half stack. i simply don't the time to wait for one of those now though, i'll have a job then, unlike now so it'll be faster, and i need to gig soon, too.
Quote by darkstar2466

JCM's go for like 700. It would really be worth it to save up. But if you just cant, well, the Peavey has a more Voxy sound then Marshally, so the JTM would probably be you best bet
I have a Classic 30 and a JTM 30.

The JTM might be a better idea for those tones. Beware though... it sounds quite bad at low volumes. It has diode based distortion so it doesn't sound good until you crank it. It sounds great when those EL-34's get driven though. The EL-34's will make for a good JCM800 tone. With the clean channel dimed you should be able to get a Plexi-ish tone. This amp is really bright though.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Oct 29, 2008,
ok cool. thanks! any last opinions? sounds like i'll go for the JTM, i do have a practice amp
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by acdcrocks0323
I know something better than both.

Laney AOR50 combo. Perfect.

No cleans though, just a heads up
I wouln't get the JTM30. There are A LOT of reliability issues and the amp has a tendency to change tone after about 30 minutes, because it overheats. Actually it is an amp that could be dadngerous playing for extended periods, since it sometimes breaks down because it overheats.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Checker
I have a Classic 30 and a JTM 30.

The JTM might be a better idea for those tones. Beware though... it sounds quite bad at low volumes. It has diode based distortion so it doesn't sound good until you crank it. It sounds great when those EL-34's get driven though. The EL-34's will make for a good JCM800 tone. With the clean channel dimed you should be able to get a Plexi-ish tone. This amp is really bright though.

Man, the JTM30 doesn't have EL34 tubes. It has 5881s.

I don't even think there's enough room to fit EL34s in that amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ive played a classic 30 multiple times, and i own a jtm-30. a jtm-30 is very jcm-900ish ive heard. i have heard they have overheating issues, but i must have gotten lucky cause mines fine. the jtm-30 is more british, but it sounds terrible at really low volumes. cran it though, and youre in marshall tone heaven. if it werent for potential reliabilty issues, id say jtm all the way, but the classic 30 is a fine amp too.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Man, the JTM30 doesn't have EL34 tubes. It has 5881s.

I don't even think there's enough room to fit EL34s in that amp.

They didn't start shipping with 5881's 'til after '95. The earlier ones, like mine, had EL-34's.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Well as said the JTM30 isn't really very close to a Plexi or a JCM800. I think a Classic 30 would be really good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well as said the JTM30 isn't really very close to a Plexi or a JCM800. I think a Classic 30 would be really good.
So a Classic 30 is closest to Vox, but it is still british like the El34 marshalls? i haven't played a vox or marshall so i'd like to know. THanks
Both vox and marshall have a british, midrangy roarish tone, however their textures are different.

The classic 30 will be perfect for what you are playing and it does have a very british bite to it. JTM60 I tried i did not necicerrily like. so I'd try before you buy.
Quote by Checker
They didn't start shipping with 5881's 'til after '95. The earlier ones, like mine, had EL-34's.

They made ones with EL34s? Damn? How does it compare to the standard ones?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Checker

Are you sure? I know the JTM 690's shipped with EL34's, and some people have retro fitted EL34's into the 30's ...but I don't think they ever shipped out NEW with stock EL34's ...interesting though!

Back on topic, what did you end up getting? the Classic 30 or JTM 30?
You could buy a 1959 used on eBay for around $1,100 and have a Metroamp board, power transformer, and output transformer installed if you really want that Plexi sound.