Page 1 of 2
hey guys i finally sold my crappy line 6 and im looking for a new amp i have about 950 bucks and an epiphone les paul ultra. I play mostly hard rock/metal but i want an amp that doesnt have a shitty clean channel too. any suggestions?
don't double post...
the kirk hammett half stack is a terrible amp

as for the Traynor, it is based off marshalls...and the fact that you didn't say what kinds of music you play (hard rock/metal is very vague) i put down what would be best imo.
I would strongly recommend getting a used Mesa Rect-o-verb.

I was looking for the same type of thing.
I mostly play metal and hard rock as well as blues, it does all of that real well.
I got mine for $800.
i cant afford a head and cab.. can i? and umm like metallica tone? which is dark i think
Quote by lpsunburst
i cant afford a head and cab.. can i? and umm like metallica tone? which is dark i think

You can probably buy the B-52 and a used avatar for your price range, pretty sure.

It's a better idea, in my opinion at least, because you can buy a pretty good cab, and buy an above-average head... amp heads, and even some combos, will be able to be played through your cab, regardless, saving money in the future.

Just my nickel minus three...

**If anyone calls me hypocritical about "Saving up", when I have a modded VK. I LIKE THE VK, SO **** YOU.
Quote by lpsunburst
if i buy this http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-100-AT-412-100W-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack-481188-i1320777.gc it doesnt come with a cab? it says it does.. does it come with a head too?

It comes with the cab, but a 2x12 or a 4x12, your choice, from Avatar or Vader comes loaded with better speakers and are probably better quality.

I cannot comment on the B-52 cab, though, all I know is that Avatar and Vader are loaded with Celestions and Eminence speakers... and the amp head is pretty good (although a bit overrated), so better speakers will make it sound better.
Quote by lpsunburst
if i buy this http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT...188-i1320777.gc it doesnt come with a cab? it says it does.. does it come with a head too?

Yes it comes with the head and the cab, but why not just get the combo. If your practicing at bedroom levels and jamming with buddies... and even if you gig/plan on gigging from time to time I suggest the 1x12 combo, plenty loud, even for small sized gigs + you can always mic it.
Unless you gig every night at medium/large gigs...which you would be looking at a better amp if you did, I say get the 1x12.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
alright thanks im still gunna go to gc and try a bunch of amps but i just wanted to have some amps in mind
Quote by lpsunburst
so i could sell the cab or head and get other ones

What?

mcrfobtai had a great idea with the Mesa F-50, they are like the mark series I think? Should hit all your genres quite well, and it's cheaper!

Find one used, and buy a good cab, and you'll be set

*You could just buy the B-52 head, and buy the Avatar cab seperately? Don't worry about buying the entire stack if you just want the head, the cab probably doesn't have a good resale value.

**Yes, as stated before, (you haven't told us) If you are only practicing in the bedroom or not gigging at all with any chance of cranking it, just get a 50w combo.
Unless you want to buy an attentuator, which isn't that much, but it cuts down on what amp you can buy.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691

**with this kind of money I would HIGHLY suggest buying a head and cab, as opposed to combo

I would not recommend doing this^.

You can get a much better combo with this kind of money than you can a half stack. If you had 900 dollars to spend on a head then you might reconsider but if your sticking with 900 for the whole thing then a Mesa F-50 is probably a good choice.
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
I would not recommend doing this^.

You can get a much better combo with this kind of money than you can a half stack. If you had 900 dollars to spend on a head then you might reconsider but if your sticking with 900 for the whole thing then a Mesa F-50 is probably a good choice.

I didn't recommend TS get a half stack, although I didn't specify, I meant a 2x12...it's much simpler.

Again, it depends on the situation...

^IP comes saves the day with the Ultra...again.

That and the MESA are better choices that my suggestion, but still consider buying a good cab in the future.
Quote by lpsunburst
alright thanks im still gunna go to gc and try a bunch of amps but i just wanted to have some amps in mind

Well then I'll suggest some more for you:

b52 AT112 - already mentioned
used peavey xxx/jsx/5150/6505 combos
randall rg50tc - 112 combo
bugera 333xl/6262 - both sound great but mine broke after one day so...
used mesa f-30 or f-50 already mentioned
Traynor ycs50 - might not have the high gain your looking for, but still check it out
used marshall jcm 800/900/2000 combos

Have fun amp hunting!!
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by lpsunburst
ghold that amps for blues.. right? are u sure thats for like metal?

that amp is for a variety of sounds. I use it for heavy metal, rock, blues, cleans.... It's versatile. I also use an MXR 6 band eq to drive it over the top
GEAR worth mentioning
GUITAR: XPT700 SOON AGILE INTERCEPTORPRO725
AMP: TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE
EFFECTS: BOSS ME-50 | MXR-109 6-Band Graphic EQ
ugh to be honest i dont know what heads and combos mean and the mesa f 50 isnt at guitar center
Quote by lpsunburst
ugh to be honest i dont know what heads and combos mean and the mesa f 50 isnt at guitar center

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232 Read (at least) the 4th post in this thread. It explains that and a lot more.
There are a lot of good amps rec'd in this thread. For grins, would you buy used? If so what major city do you live near?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
okay i read it but im not still sure i get it. so a combo amp is the amp head and the cabinet? but i could just buy a head without a cabinet and buy a better cabinet for better sound or vice versa?
I honestly wouldn't get the B52 AT100 Halfstack if you have that much money...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Yes, a combo is a head and cab in one unit. You get it. You could make sure you buy an amp with a good speaker or replace the speaker and have good sound. Most combo's have speaker out jacks on them so you can run the combo with an extension cab. I would think a 50 watt combo would be more than enough for you.
ok so i want a tube combo that has great distortion and pretty good cleans.. is the mesa f 50 still my best option?
A combo amp just means that the Head (power and signal processing portion) and the cabinet ( where the loudspeakers are housed) are combined into one simple structure. A tube amp is a type of head (also the same power portion in a combo amp) these amps literally have tubes that supply power and sound. A tube amp can either be a combo or a head/cabinet. When people say get a tube amp they mean do not get a Solid State amp, this is any type of amp that instead of tubes uses digital signals to produce the sound for the loudspeakers( usualy not as good or authentic as a tube amp), Most solid states try to sound like a tube amp.

P.S. go for a JCM 900 dual reverb combo, there is currently one on eBay.
Last edited by lrhansen at Oct 29, 2008,
i cant get a jcm 900 its too expensive and i dont want to get it on ebay im going to gc in a few days
i really dont know because they dont ahve the mesa f 50 at guitar center so i dont know what to try out
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Well then I'll suggest some more for you:

b52 AT112 - already mentioned
used peavey xxx/jsx/5150/6505 combos
randall rg50tc - 112 combo
bugera 333xl/6262 - both sound great but mine broke after one day so...
used mesa f-30 or f-50 already mentioned
Traynor ycs50 - might not have the high gain your looking for, but still check it out

Have fun amp hunting!!

Here's a good list, try the VK and RG50tc. And search clist if you can.
My 2 cents about the B-52 cabinet. I can only find 1 bad review and he recommended a Mesa cab over it. I duno I think it would do what you need... although buying a half stack for bedroom usage is like buying a Barrett .50 sniper rifle for rabbit hunting...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
If it's in your price range, the Randall RG50TC. It has easily enough gain on tap for metal and with the gain around 4 or 5 ish and some nice EQ'ing you could nail some killer hard rock tones.
Page 1 of 2