In regards to coming up with basslines? What if you don't just want to play roots or hold the bottom down? Are there any rules to making the bass stand out more rather then just being a "rhythm" instrument? I want to be fresher with lines instead of the same boring role I do mostly. My question is how far out of the box can you go with out breaking the rules musically or messing the other guys up? I would like to do alot of odd time stuff and play opposite of what the guitarist is doing.
Listen to some Primus. Les Claypool is a weirdo, but in a good way :P. Cliff Burton from Metallica was an amazing bassist as well. R.I.P. Just try to find bands that their bassist stands out alot, and listen for new ideas and inspiration.
Uhhhh... Don't play what the guitarist is doing. You said it yourself.
You can use chromatic licks, reverse swing eighth notes and stuff to spice it up too.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Learn general musical theory, use it.

If you don't understand theory, you'll have a harder time finding things that work (and don't work for that matter)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Last edited by dancesisidance at Oct 28, 2008,
Well, a lot of the time, guitarists want bassists to jus play the root. But that isn't wat I want (as a guitarist/composer). I want a bassist who plays, for example, the important notes of the scale. Place emphasis on wat parts of the riff/rhythm figure should be brought out.
Play dead notes and learn to play counterpoint. Those are two bigs ones.

Listen to Primus, like Sleepwalker said, and also Dream Theater. John Myung is a beast (he also does a lot of counterpoint).
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Innovation is something not many will ever achieve, unfortunately. Innovation is bringing something new to the bass, and that's hard to do.

There is no such thing as rules in music. Well, only one- if it sounds good, use it. Learning theory however, will help- theory isn't a set of rules, but a set of guidelines. Begin to understand the relationship between the bass and other instruments. There's no way to give specific advice, because if I say "oh, use the blah blah every time the guitarist goes blah", then you aren't being experimental or finding your own voice.

Don't set out trying to be different on purpose- the best skill any bassist can have is the skill of complimenting a song- going over the top will ruin a song. I think it was Marcus Miller who said "it's not about what you play, it's the notes you don't play that matters." It may not have been Marcus who said that though.
I find it suspicious that we have both a Randy Bobandy and a Mr. Lahey...

*Joe nudges our lovely mods*
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08

Thank you Joe.

And....to answer the question for everyone else. Free your mind and listen to all sorts of music. Get out of your comfort zone and don't be afraid of making mistakes and trying new approaches.

And Ben, that quote is from James Jamerson. Its the advise he gave Suzi Quattro, after telling her she played really well...for a white chick, lol.
Quote by bassmanjoe08

Alot of people watch Trailer park boys(especially where I live), so it wouldn't surprise me if they were a different person.

I'd suggest just writing interesting basslines and try to come up with your own style, maybe even do things that aren't common for your genre of music aswell.

Remember what Delirium said though, it has to sound good though.
Quote by Mr. Lahey
In regards to coming up with basslines? What if you don't just want to play roots or hold the bottom down? Are there any rules to making the bass stand out more rather then just being a "rhythm" instrument? I want to be fresher with lines instead of the same boring role I do mostly. My question is how far out of the box can you go with out breaking the rules musically or messing the other guys up? I would like to do alot of odd time stuff and play opposite of what the guitarist is doing.

There are no rules, only guidelines, granted you should stay within them, but don't think that just because something isn't common that means it wrong, always trust your ear.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
always trust your ear.

Unless you're tone deaf...