Quote by Ghold125
there pretty much the same thing, just two different names

Nope.

Check out the OD/Distortion thread here

EDIT: From the above thread:

Quote by minibrowny
Difference between hard and soft clipping, aka differences between distortion and overdrive by ICANSEEYOU7687 ( ) I think a lot of people don't really understand the differences between distortion and overdrive. While overdrive is a form of distortion with guitar jargon its different.

where as the distortion obviously just cuts the signal. This is why distortion pedals can usually reach insane amounts of gain, but you loose a lot of the original signal.

Whereas with soft clipping there is not plateauing. Most of the original signal is still preserved keeping the same shape, which is why it changes your tone the least.
Quote by Ghold125

^ on a solid state maybe, just an overdrive would be weaker

on a tube amp, distortion just distorts it

overdrives booost your signal and pushes your tubes, so they distort naturally, but I looked at your profile, for music like that, you'll need distrtion, (and overdrive sounds shitty On SS amps)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Ghold125

oO

think there is a difference between, distortion happens in the pre amp, overdrive in the amp itself, or am i totally wrong?

Edit: tooooo late
this threads been done a bunch of times lol, but its ok.
Quote by aaciseric
Theres a chav revolution brewing in my area, hopefully my personal hygiene, sobriety, long hair and GnR albums can protect me for some time.
Overdive tends to have a much different tone than distortion. Think Jimi Hendrix versus any Heavy Metal. You'll notice OD has a bigger bass push. But distortion has usually equal amounts of bass and treble push.
Right so i pretty much want to go for distortion? And to the guy that mentioned bands in my profile: my profile is really vague. My top ten bands EVER are:

Pantera, Genesis, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Slayer, Decapitated, In Flames, Coldplay, Phil Collins (and band)

I think i need to listen to more guitar-reliant people.....eg Vai, Satriani etc, but my tone could range from a whole host of things if i was going to play my favourite bands for fun!
Ps Opeth figure highly in my top ten, but i couldn't place them cause they're so damn good, and my taste is so diverse, so i left them out..
there very different actually.
overdrive doesnt give you as much output, not as good harmonics, and is more for classic rock like aersmith, led zeppelin, and especially AC/DC. Distortion is more van halen, metallica, and megadeth.
Overdrive is a type of distortion.

Distortion is clipping of the sound wave.
Right so basically it's distortion all the way? Not that i'd neglect other effects of genres of play...i'm eclectic....
Quote by ShredGod George
^ on a solid state maybe, just an overdrive would be weaker

on a tube amp, distortion just distorts it

overdrives booost your signal and pushes your tubes, so they distort naturally, but I looked at your profile, for music like that, you'll need distrtion, (and overdrive sounds shitty On SS amps)

No.

An overdrive pedal is a distortion pedal. The gain control regulates the distortion of the pedal. The level or volume regulates the output of the pedal, either dropping, maintaining, or boosting the signal it puts out. People use them as boosts by putting the gain to zero and the volume to 10. You can do the same with a distortion pedal, though the boost will have different characteristics because of the circuit.

You can use overdrive pedals on an SS amp as a distortion pedal with the gain set to taste and the level/volume set low.

Yes, what is colloquially known as overdrive is different than distortion in guitar talk. Overdrive is the characteristic of a thermionic valve running at higher levels than it's rated. It distorts the signal.