yeah i want a good black sabbath tone from my peavey vypyr 30.

i tried the brit combo on distortorted and a tube screamer to go with and it sounded close but i still would like some help. thank you.
Lighter strings.

And plastic tips on your fingers.
No, that's really how it works.

It's because Tony had a couple of his fingers injured in a sheet-metal accident, so he uses lighter strings and plastic tips on some of his fingers.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Sonic Soundwave
uhhhhhh i was guessing that you're joking?

No. Tony Iommi did, in fact, use .08s or .09s and tuned down. The reason being he had plastic fingertips on his right hand due to a metal shop accident.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Melted plastic bottle caps with leather tips, actually.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Yup.

He used .008's in C# Standard, IIRC. That's one of the reason why his sound sounds the way it does.

You also have to play kinda loud.
ya exactly what has been said above.
light guage strings, tune REAL low, plastic finger tips on middle and ring fingers (if i remember correctly), british distortion, crank it to 11.
Quote by RIP_bonham
ya exactly what has been said above.
light guage strings, tune REAL low, plastic finger tips on middle and ring fingers (if i remember correctly), british distortion, crank it to 11.

DING DING!

And this thing:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Tony-Iommi-Signature-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518555

Iommi was actually left handed though.

Or, you can always buy these and pop them in whatever you have:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Tony-Iommi-Guitar-Pickup?sku=360939
UG's AC/DC Lover
first 2 albums standard tuning..(actualy slightly sharp..almost e#)
next 4 albums c#

he does use 9 guage strings

laney amp

a sg

no distortion pedal..(actually he uses very little distortion)

bone up on your power cords,..trills,..vibrato...blues / penatonic scales..

and there ya go

iommi is the man!
He's got a signature Laney. If you're SERIOUS about his one, that's the way to go.

Tuning low won't only affect the notes available, but through string tension it actually affects the sound, even if it's not a huge difference. He did his along with lighter strings to ease pain on his fingers, which as you've gathered got cut off. It might be unconventional, but a slide might be able to replicate his plastic fingers, but obviously that changes your whole style.

If you're sticking with your Vypyr, you could get his early tones best by turning up the gain on the Plexi model. I'm pretty sure that's what he used.

Oh, and he had a 24 fret guitar to make up for his dropped tunings. He practically invented the 24 fret electric guitar. Was certainly one of the first to use one.
Light strings, tune down, medium-high gain, use the neck pickup for rhythm and the bridge for lead.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Chop off the tips of your middle and ring finger of your fretting hand.
Quote by Rock Pig
He's got a signature Laney. If you're SERIOUS about his one, that's the way to go.

Tuning low won't only affect the notes available, but through string tension it actually affects the sound, even if it's not a huge difference. He did his along with lighter strings to ease pain on his fingers, which as you've gathered got cut off. It might be unconventional, but a slide might be able to replicate his plastic fingers, but obviously that changes your whole style.

If you're sticking with your Vypyr, you could get his early tones best by turning up the gain on the Plexi model. I'm pretty sure that's what he used.

Oh, and he had a 24 fret guitar to make up for his dropped tunings. He practically invented the 24 fret electric guitar. Was certainly one of the first to use one.

thank you very much piggy =)

very informative post and bascially helped me out alot.
almost positive he uses .08 - .38s regardless of tuning, using an SG (which is believe isn't modded), plugged into a treble booster (dallas rangemaster?), his tycobrahe wah (which is pretty damn rare), into a Laney GH100L (now it's a TI100L or something like that; his signature model, which is basically a GH).

you wanna crank your amp a bit, have the gain on like 3 (4 MAX), keep the prescence low, use your neck pickup for rhythms (Paranoid sounds more like it's the rhythm pickup until the solo), bridge for soloing, not a ton of bass. If you can add a bit of fuzz with your amp, you may want to add a hint since he used a treble booster, which gives a slightly fuzzy sound (not full blown, but it's got that certain fuzziness to it).
^IMO, alot of that fuzziness comes from the strings.
yea, the thin strings add to the heavy a LOT.

The Sword follow the Iommi route; they tune down 2 steps to C Standard and use 10 - 52s (which after setting the tension up are actually quite brutal), and don't really use high gain amps; JD uses an Orange OR50 or a Rockerverb, but uses an EHX Metal Muff, and Kyle (I believe is his name) uses a Laney AOR and a Rockerverb, but gets his distortion from a Maxon Distortion Master.

I actually hate really thick strings; they don't crunch like light gauges. I have EB 12 - 56s on my one Schecter and I used to have it in Drop B and C#, but I've tuned it down to Drop A and Drop G#, and it sounds A LOT better and heavier in the lower tunings. I'll see how 11 - 54s sound, since I normally use 9 - 46s for standard and drop D. Using much more than that can sound a bit too clean unless you're using a short scale guitar.
When I play my Stoner type rock/metal, I tune to C standard and drop B with 11's.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
yea, the thin strings add to the heavy a LOT.

The Sword follow the Iommi route; they tune down 2 steps to C Standard and use 10 - 52s (which after setting the tension up are actually quite brutal), and don't really use high gain amps; JD uses an Orange OR50 or a Rockerverb, but uses an EHX Metal Muff, and Kyle (I believe is his name) uses a Laney AOR and a Rockerverb, but gets his distortion from a Maxon Distortion Master.

I actually hate really thick strings; they don't crunch like light gauges. I have EB 12 - 56s on my one Schecter and I used to have it in Drop B and C#, but I've tuned it down to Drop A and Drop G#, and it sounds A LOT better and heavier in the lower tunings. I'll see how 11 - 54s sound, since I normally use 9 - 46s for standard and drop D. Using much more than that can sound a bit too clean unless you're using a short scale guitar.

I read an article about them this year...They use 8's now.