title says all.

and what do you need to look for in certain instrument cables?
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Not really tone as much as sound clarity and quality, a crap cord equals crap sound.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
so how does it all work? whats the science behind it?
GAS list...
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Science? How am I supposed to know?

I have two 'Monster Cables' and they're great
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
as the signal travels through the cable, if the cable is bad, the signal can become distorted
In addition, if the cable is not shielded well, some of the signal will be lost

Either way, worse signal=worse tone/sound.

All the stuff about like "gold caps" and "nanotube carbon fiber weaving" is mostly marketing bs.

But cables can make the difference. A lot of times(Not always) static is caused by old or poor cables.

Finally if cables are not shielded well, and a bunch are crossing/lying near each other(Think mixer setup) then the signals will interfere with each other, causing feedback and a host of other issues
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
if i remember my physics from last year...
the longer and/or thicker the cord is, the more resistance there is to the signal/flow of electricity, so more signal is lost the longer your cable gets/the thicker it gets.

but that really only applies to really thick cords or REALLY long cords, so ya its pretty much just dont buy the crapiest/cheapest cord

EDIT: and gold plated connectors actually do provide a better connection than nickel plated. gives a bit of a boost to signal, or prevents a loss of signal, depending on how you look at it :P
Quote by RIP_bonham

EDIT: and gold plated connectors actually do provide a better connection than nickel plated. gives a bit of a boost to signal, or prevents a loss of signal, depending on how you look at it :P

This is true
However gold wears out and breaks more easily.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
wow thanks guys. i found the most informative video on you tube about cables. between instrument/ patch and speaker cables here, ill link it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67Qx2RN3HI

so worth watching. now i regret making this thread
GAS list...
PGM 301
Well, the signal that comes from your guitar is analog, and so is the cable that you use to connect your guitar to your amp. And the amp, as the name indicates, amplifies the signal. The metals that make up the cable that you use carries the signal, so if the metal used to create your cable is shitty, or made in a shitty way, then your signal will degrade more over the length of the cable. Sooooo, a better metal used to make the cable will transport your signal better. Pretty much, if you buy a more expensive cable, chances are you will get a better signal coming out of your amp. It won't make any amazing difference, but it's a bitch when you're playing a show and your cable breaks. So it's just a better idea to buy the better cable in the first place so it will last longer. otherwise you're just buying a whole bunch of crappy cables that will just break soon after you use them. A good cable brand to get would be monster cables. Although one time i played a gig and i had a gold monster cable, and the tip broke off. Not sure why. But i've always used the black plastic ones with the colored rings on them. They seem to hold up pretty well. I've had a few that I've had for a while now. Anyways, hope that was helpful.
Excuse me while I kiss the sky...
I wouldn't exactly categorize " Monster Cables " as good.

They're cheap...real cheap...you get what you pay for. Great for solid state modeling amps. Horrible for actual sound, much less tone. They are however, one step above the cloth covered pieces of shat the guitar store sells to people who come in asking for a "cheap cable".

Vovox, Allesandro, Mogami ... those are " good " cables.

I think, however, that many posters here at UG are not experienced enough to tell a difference. It takes a good long while for many people to develop their ear to that point.
yea, and correct me if im wrong or ignore if someone said it and i missed it, crappier shielding also allows more outside electrical signals to interfere with the sound signal, like if you have a buncha power chords for pedals or w/e layin down there and you guitar cable is running near them especially parallel to them, the crappy shielded guitar cable will allow the eletrical field of the power cables to interfere with the signal.
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
I wouldn't exactly categorize " Monster Cables " as good.

They're cheap...real cheap...you get what you pay for. Great for solid state modeling amps. Horrible for actual sound, much less tone. They are however, one step above the cloth covered pieces of shat the guitar store sells to people who come in asking for a "cheap cable".

Vovox, Allesandro, Mogami ... those are " good " cables.

I think, however, that many posters here at UG are not experienced enough to tell a difference. It takes a good long while for many people to develop their ear to that point.

Yea id imagine that to be true on the ear portion. However if you have the money now to just get good ones, why not just get em, instead of buying cheap ones now, and then later on spending more money to get the good ones. Get good ones now and later on when and if your ear can tell the difference between cables, you'll already have em!
It's worth remembering that the signal coming out of your guitar is very very weak. It takes an extremely pure conductor to allow the tiny signal to travel through without losing a fair portion of the treble frequencies, and reduce clarity across the midrange and low-end.
It's a subtle difference, but definitely noticeable when playing through high-end equipment.
Ive owned 2 monster cables, and in less than a month, both of them were wound up and crapped out, and i take good care of my cables.

I have elixir cables now, and they have lasted a while, and arent cheaply made.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Meh, I like monsters. Next time I buy a cable I'll buy an Elixir. Hate their strings though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use the cheapest I can find for the pedalboard, or build my own.

But stuff that's being banged around, especally the one you use from pedals to guitar should have great ends, like Monster, Mogami, Elixir, Erine Ball. Using a brand with the cheap ends will snap at the worst time.
Quote by oneblackened
Meh, I like monsters. Next time I buy a cable I'll buy an Elixir. Hate their strings though.

yea dude, their strings do suck. as you can tell of my avatar i prefer DR's

D'addarios are godly too but they have less life but more tone. i care more about life because im not worryin bout gigging yet.

im thinking of mogami. my trebel response on my Live wire cables dont seem like theyre holding up well. The Clean channels on your amp i think is where you can hear it the most between cables. i can hear a tiny little difference between my 10' and my 5' live wires. i havent tryed my 20' cloth woven one that i stole from my theater class yet. it looked like a nice cable, so i snagged it.

people, watch the vid that i linked above. it will save you from keep paying 20 bux each month for a new cable. Mogami's seem godly, he seems like a legit guy to trust

what are your opinions on livewire cables? i have em, and i guess i like em. theyre beastly. its been over half a year and nothing has changed in one of my 2 5' livewire cables. i have two 5' and one 10'
GAS list...
PGM 301
Last edited by xFinnellx at Oct 29, 2008,
Buy monster cables,
they are really good. Cable effects the quality and sound.
Quote by xFinnellx
yea dude, their strings do suck. as you can tell of my avatar i prefer DR's

I actually prefer Elixir strings.

I've had the same set on my guitar for a good 8 months now, and the tone is still pure. They have lost a little bit of sustain, but that is about it. The non-wound strings have hardly any rust, and the wound strings are only peeling the webbing slightly. I really like them.

That's just my opinion, and I thought I would share my experience with you

As fpr cables, I prefer the Planet Waves brand. I've used them for two years now, and they're still going strong. Very good quality and long lasting. They also don't get all twisted over time; but that's also a reflection of proper care.

Taking proper care of your patch cords can go a long way as well. Don't wrap them around your arm; wrap them to their natural coil. They will last much longer and the quality will be sustained longer.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
You guys are really making me rage. ESPECIALLY that guy who said "oh gee i'm so much better than the entire ug community because I can tell the difference between two cables"

You serious guys? Really... you are here on the internet arguing about what cable has a better set of conductors, better shafts, better weaving, better whatever.

Did you forget that the point of playing guitar is to play guitar? Not bitch about others cables.

/rant

Livewire cables. Whatever, they're cables. I've never had someone come to me after a show and say "dude your tone is lacking maybe you should upgrade your wires"
Quote by sesstreets
You guys are really making me rage. ESPECIALLY that guy who said "oh gee i'm so much better than the entire ug community because I can tell the difference between two cables"

You serious guys? Really... you are here on the internet arguing about what cable has a better set of conductors, better shafts, better weaving, better whatever.

Did you forget that the point of playing guitar is to play guitar? Not bitch about others cables.

/rant

Livewire cables. Whatever, they're cables. I've never had someone come to me after a show and say "dude your tone is lacking maybe you should upgrade your wires"

Well actually, we're simply expressing our personal opinion towards the cables that we use. Some personal preferences vary to other.Yes, it is about playing guitar, but part of it is also about tone. You want to salvage as much of it as you can, which is the purpose of this thread. Which cables do you think are better? Etc.

Not so much an argument, as an expressionism thread.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I'd advise everyone in this thread, or in this world to try those fender coil cords....they sound soo much more musical to me than any other cable

just sayin...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009