i know some amps have DIs for playing with PAs but can i use the headphones out? i dont care for the amp to sound as monitor, i only want to use amps distortion

PS sorry for my english
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
if you do it you must have the volume turned all the way down to plug in. I mean all the way. then just tap it up to where it's barely audible through the PA and get your volume like that. too much signal will easily blow something in the board.

I don't recommend that option though.

Look for a preamp out. Then if it's a SS amp just disconnect the speaker... I think.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Mic it or look for a direct out. You will need a DI and run at Lo-z if there's quite a distance between stage and board.

Don't use the headphones out or anything else. Even a "preamp" out can run way to much signal into a board and do some damage, because what the guy above is suggesting is running after the pre and post, so there will be a lot of power in the signal entering the board, when the power shouldn't be much more then you're vocals or what a microphone picks up
Is there a reason mic'ing the amp up normally isn't an option?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by pacoasterrider
Even a "preamp" out can run way to much signal into a board and do some damage, because what the guy above is suggesting is running after the pre and post, so there will be a lot of power in the signal entering the board, when the power shouldn't be much more then you're vocals or what a microphone picks up

In general, I would tend to agree, but my Polytone amp has a preamp out jack for precisely that purpose. However, it does have a level control pot associated with it.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
In general, I would tend to agree, but my Polytone amp has a preamp out jack for precisely that purpose. However, it does have a level control pot associated with it.

That's true, most amps don't tho however. I dont want this guy to think a headphone out and that are the same thing.
you see
i am helping my guitarrist because his gigging amp is out of service for a couple of weeks and all he has now is a laney LX35, the problem is that that amp is too muddy for band practices, and it doesnt have any kind of DI out, just phones out
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Well unless the speaker is absolute garbage and the cause. It'll be just as muddy whether it's run through headphone/preamp out or not.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."