So I recently got an Ibanez SWX100 combo from my local shop.

I've had it for about two weeks and while writing a solo I noticed that at any decent volume, the G an octave up (12th fret G string, 17th fret D string etc.) was causing something in the head to vibrate. All I can tell is it's in the back and up high. Is this something that will happen with any amp or is this a defect?

EDIT: forgot to mention, as the amp is tilted forward. The vibrating stops. Don't know if that helps at all
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Oct 28, 2008,
Its most likely something that can shake in the amp being vibrated. Or it could be something nearby. I know that if i ever dont flick the switch on my snare drum it will rattle while i play bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Its most likely something that can shake in the amp being vibrated. Or it could be something nearby. I know that if i ever dont flick the switch on my snare drum it will rattle while i play bass.

I know it's coming from the amp, I've put everything on my bed so nothing can rattle
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

I'd open it up and take a closer look, sounds like something is a little loose.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412

I might do that, but i'd rather it be a last resort. It's not exactly the simplest thing to just open up. Wondering if anyone has had something similar happen and if so, what was causing the problem.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

With the power off, and the power lead out, try tightening screws around the power socket, and that grille on the top. (Vent grilles love to rattle at high volume...if it's that, and tightening its' screws doesn't help, knock a couple of dents into it with a hammer. That'll shut it up!)
Try tightening any other sockets on the back (I'm not sure if it has extension cab or loop sockets). Beyond that, it might be the amp chassis rattling. It seems to be held in by the screws on top (like most combos) which might need tightening.
Or you could ignore it! Can you hear the noise over other amps, if you play in a band? If not, and it doesn't affect the amp's performance...ignore.
Quote by fleajr_1412

+1
your probably hitting a frequency thats causing some small part to rattle. maybe the amp cabinet screws need to be snugged up a bit. other than being annoying, it shouldn't cause any harm to the amp.

Edit: Hey C.J.73 !!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by creepingjesus73
With the power off, and the power lead out, try tightening screws around the power socket, and that grille on the top. (Vent grilles love to rattle at high volume...if it's that, and tightening its' screws doesn't help, knock a couple of dents into it with a hammer. That'll shut it up!)
Try tightening any other sockets on the back (I'm not sure if it has extension cab or loop sockets). Beyond that, it might be the amp chassis rattling. It seems to be held in by the screws on top (like most combos) which might need tightening.
Or you could ignore it! Can you hear the noise over other amps, if you play in a band? If not, and it doesn't affect the amp's performance...ignore.

Hah, well it's on warranty so I won't knock any dents into it just yet

I'm not playing with a band just yet, but it's loud enough where it comes through whenever I record. Drowns itself out

I'll try tightening aforementioned pieces. Thanks
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Tightened everything up to no avail. Pulled it out further and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the inside of the head. Meh, I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to tear into it
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press