I'm asking for a new bass for Christmas and/or my birthday and i need some suggestions on what to look at. Im looking at a max of $300 US. As for tone, i want versatility, pop when i want it, warm low tone when i want it. All that i have actualy played is the Squire Standard Jazz Bass and i loved it, but i want some other basses to look at. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Try their VM Jazz
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
is this a 'new' bass or a first bass?
what do you already have?
squier basses are pretty solid though
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Its a new bass, ive been playing for about a year with my thunderbird(you can see why i want versatility) and a fender rumble 25 amp.
from what i hear (though i've never played one) thunderbirds are pretty middy, as are jazz basses - so from that perspective you'd be better off with a p-bass or stingray.

if i were you though i'd save up a bit more money, before branching out tonally and know what you want.

though i'd say a pj-bass might be good. check out the ibanez gsr maybe?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/ibanez/gsr_200/index.html
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Trust me, if i could afford a sting ray i'd be all over it, literally, i was looking at the GSR, i will definantly try it out.
Squier Jazz or Precision Bass.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by doive
from what i hear (though i've never played one) thunderbirds are pretty middy, as are jazz basses - so from that perspective you'd be better off with a p-bass or stingray.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/ibanez/gsr_200/index.html

Good recommendation on thes stingray and p-bass, but thunderbirds and jazz basses share little more than a 'signature' growl, which is different for each. Jazz basses will give a completely different tone to a T-bird, end of story. And IMLE, stingrays (And certainly my Bongo) are middy as hell, it is actually more or less what gives them their signature tone (Among the intense treble they possess).
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If you like the Stingray tone, try an Ibanez ATK. Very Ray-like and will save you a lot of money.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!