A guy at school told me this...Is he right, could a ycs+a OD pedal get rectoish high gain sounds.

Now he told me it sounded EXACTLY like a recto, but I KNOW it's not gonna sound exactly like a recto. Would it get close though?

Is he an idiot or is does he know his stuff, I'm just curious to know

Thanks
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Eh, the traynors can go pretty high gain. Won't sound EXACTLY like a recto, or maybe not even close. Will probably be a decent metal tone though.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I haven't played out of one of those, but I hear they're mid-gain amps.

Mid gain amp + OD pedal will get you a metal tone, but it's going to be a different kind of tone than a high gain amp. Not like a recto though, maybe more like a boosted JCM 800
If you want recto on the cheap, look in the mesa f and dc series, can definitely do a good recto impression along with a being a solid all around versatile amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a YCS100, the lead channel does have a rectoish tone, it's definitely not as low end heavy, nor does it have as much gain, but it with a od it's there. I couldn't say it sounds exactly like a recto, as it depends on what type of od you use, also I use a clean boost at the moment rather than an od.
the YCS series can get pretty heavy. but i don't think it'll sound like a recto. not say it won't be as heavy as one, i just don't think it'll sound like one.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well if you turn the modern and scoop switches on, turn the gain up, engage the boost and turn that up some as well.... it gets in the territory I suppose. Same idea... heavy sounding scooped tone. With a boost in front it gets tighter but I never use one. This amp can give you a wide variety of sounds without adding anything and it does a very good job at it. If you turn the switches off and turn the gain down to around 3 it gives you a nice Skynard tone as well... so there is really IMO all of music up to 90's metal available through this amp.