I've recently been looking into the Fender 50's Classic Strat, mostly for its vintage tone, V neck and relative affordability, but recently I've discovered the Jimmie Vaughan guitar, which besides the pick ups seems to be nearly the same guitar for the same price. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the differences between these two, and which one you would recommend.
Check the roadhouse strat in comparison to the SRV sig, its practically identical apart from the fact that one's made in USA whereas the other is made in Mexico
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I own the JV strat. Very satisfied with my choice. It was recommended by the guy working at the store. I was about to chunk down about 1400 for a strat and he had me compare them. Alot of country stars and sessions players (Nashville) come in and he has sold several to them. Go try them out and try different amps. I tried it with a marshall, a Vox, and the one I chose which wa the Fender Blues Junior.
I'm pretty sure the Classic 50s model has better tuners, but almost everything else is going to come down to personal preference. The Vaughan signature has tex-mex pickups, which to me don't sound so much like a classic strat. I'm not saying they're bad by any means, but the 57/62 set in the 50s player is probably more authentic to an early model strat. They both have some custom tone control options, the Vaughan having a tone control for the bridge pickup instead of the middle, and the Classic 50s has a unique pickup switching layout. The 50s model also has a 2 point vintage trem, as opposed to the slightly less stable 6 screw bridge on Vaughan's signature.

If I were deciding between the two, I'd take the Classic 50s, mainly for the electronics, because I'm not big into the Texas blues sound. They both seem to be great guitars for the money, though, so I wouldn't hesitate to try them both out.
Quote by sharpant
Check the roadhouse strat in comparison to the SRV sig, its practically identical apart from the fact that one's made in USA whereas the other is made in Mexico

this is a good idea, as these are very good guitars, but they ARE NOT up to the level of the SRV strat as you suggest, froma person who has played both.

If these are the guitars that you are looking at I would strongly advise the you look for a used MIA strat. Better materials, electronics, and much better neckwork.

differences between the JV and the classic 60's is the neck profile, and pickups mostly. Both are realy good little strats, but for what it is worth, you will get a better value from a MIM strat with a pickup upgrade, which depending on you amp may not even be neccesary.
I heard that texas specials which are in the SRV sig are just modeled on SRV's tone and not actually the ones he used, can you confirm this? Cause if its true it would throw me right off those pickups
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Stickymongoose
I'm pretty sure the Classic 50s model has better tuners, but almost everything else is going to come down to personal preference. The Vaughan signature has tex-mex pickups, which to me don't sound so much like a classic strat. I'm not saying they're bad by any means, but the 57/62 set in the 50s player is probably more authentic to an early model strat. They both have some custom tone control options, the Vaughan having a tone control for the bridge pickup instead of the middle, and the Classic 50s has a unique pickup switching layout. The 50s model also has a 2 point vintage trem, as opposed to the slightly less stable 6 screw bridge on Vaughan's signature.

If I were deciding between the two, I'd take the Classic 50s, mainly for the electronics, because I'm not big into the Texas blues sound. They both seem to be great guitars for the money, though, so I wouldn't hesitate to try them both out.

not sure about the classic 50's different switching, 2 point trem, or the 57/62 pups. not sure what guitar you are thinking of there.
Yeah, the Classic 50s model has a vintage tremolo with 2 mounting points instead of 6. The pickup selector allows you to switch to neck/bridge instead of middle/bridge, unlike standard 5-way strat switching. And it supposedly uses a set of Fender pickups based on the 1957 and 1962 models.

At least, that's what Musiciansfriend wants me to believe:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Player-50s-Stratocaster?sku=512766

Of course, if they're wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time. Just go try them both out.
That's the classic PLAYER's Strat, I'm talking about the Classic SERIES strat, besides pick ups and some wiring (which I can get my local guitar guy to do for free), the same thing for less and with better finishes.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Yeah, the Classic 50s model has a vintage tremolo with 2 mounting points instead of 6. The pickup selector allows you to switch to neck/bridge instead of middle/bridge, unlike standard 5-way strat switching. And it supposedly uses a set of Fender pickups based on the 1957 and 1962 models.

At least, that's what Musiciansfriend wants me to believe:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Player-50s-Stratocaster?sku=512766

Of course, if they're wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time. Just go try them both out.

thankyou, i stand corrected. By the description, this is pretty much the best strat out there for that price. those 57/62's are killer!
I have the Vaughan Strat and love it, for the money its a great guitar.I personally like the V-neck over the C.When it comes down to it personal preference will be the deciding factor.Play both
Quote by hawk5211
thankyou, i stand corrected. By the description, this is pretty much the best strat out there for that price. those 57/62's are killer!

It is one of the best; I should know, I have one!

I'd get that one over the Jimmie Vaughn one, because the CP Strat sounds a lot more vintage correct. I'd also get it over the Classic Series one aswell, because it's got better pickups and tuners and things like that. The only downside is that it only comes in 2 colours, but the colour doesn't really matter. Also, it's not even that much more expensive than the Classic Series, it would cost more to buy new pickups and get some new wiring done aswell, so yeah. Also, the Jimmie Vaughn and the Classic Player will both be the same build quality, since they are both at the very high end of the MIM models, and both have American electronics and hoohah like that.

So if you want a very southern-blues guitar, get the Jimmie Vaughn, or if not, just get the Classic Player.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If you want the vintage sound, just get vintage pickups. . . vintage pickups are generally handwound. Which causes inconsistences in the wire wrapped around it, like tension, layering, and all that good stuff.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris