I adjusted my neck pickup height on my Ibanez RG higher. I forgot exactly why but I heard that it was bad for some reason. Why? Thanks for the help.
People say that you lose tone as you raise the pickup height but gain volume, it's all debatable about the tone but you should notice an increase in volume
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I don't think it is. My bridge pickup it almost pushing against the strings it's so high, but I have my neck pickup almost inside the guitar body.
If the strings touch the pickup, you get an unplesant popping sound. That's all I can think of.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
I raised my pickup height once. Got a lot more feedback than usual.
I have a really weak amp so raising the pickups (especially bridge) improved the tone of my distortion and increased volume.

The biggest problem I noticed with my pickups is that I often scratch or scrape my pick against the pickups if I set them too high
if the pu is too high and you fret a string on the 20th fret or so it will bottom out on the pu. also i've heard that if the pu is too high the magnetic pull will degrade the sustain of your guitar.
Higher volume but lower sustain.
I personally don't think it matters that much.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Ghost tones really, feedback and the like, but some people don't recognize/care about it, some even like it.
Other than that, you might get the occasional poppingn noise, or hit the pickups a lot while playing, but nothing really wrong with it.
I don't think I would get the magnetic pull on the strings causing the click and pop because I play light and "smooth", unlike my uncle who kills the strings. lol.
Quote by RG PROG
I don't think I would get the magnetic pull on the strings causing the click and pop because I play light and "smooth", unlike my uncle who kills the strings. lol.

Yeah, I play really hard and that's why I get the pop. It can get a little annoying but the overall volume change was noticeable enough that I can't bring myself to lower them again.
it's not going to break anything.

if you feel like the pups are too high because it's muddy or sustain is lessened, then lower them a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i haven't messed with mine too much i like the way all my guitars are set-up but from what i have heard the the magnets set at a high position will pull on the strings and could mess with your intonation. so if it was up to me i would sacrifice some volume for a good intune tone. but thats me

87' B.C. Rich ST3
Ibanez RG1570
Washburn Lyon Strat
Ibanez GAX-70
Washburn XB100 bass
VOX AD15VT
Behringer LX1200H
Custom cab 2x12" loaded with Line 6 speakers
Peavey Express 112
Sabre 1 Reverb
^intonation is going to fall out anyway. it's just tuning and needs to be checked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011