I just got a Gibson Les Paul Junior. It's great, except the lower frets are really buzzy. I'm not sure how to adjust action with the wrap-around bridge without messing up the intonation. I googled it, but I couldn't find anything useful on the first 4-5 pages of results. Can anyone help?

Hopefully I won't have to mess with the truss rod.
whenever you adjust the action of a guitar it messes up the intonation...

fixing intonation isn't that bad tho, so just adjust the action to where you want it, then adjust the intonation
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

No, it was a limited edition model.

http://www.musicgadgets.net/2007/10/02/gibson-nashville-les-paul-jr-double-cutaway/

FightinIrishPJ, the real problem is that I don't know how to adjust the action with this type of tailpiece. I'm aware that I can adjust the intonation (although the adjustability of the intonation on a wrap-around tailpiece is limited).
yeah you'll want to adjust the screws on top of the bridge posts, up or down.

and then fix the intonation as much as possible, by messing wt the little pegs at the back end facing the rear, on the posts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I thought I should probably check here for sure so I don't screw something up. I'm kinda paranoid about it. I think I'm going to be really overprotective of this guitar.
haha, yeah, small turns.

you looking to get the action lower?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

you mean the first few frets?

cause then raising the bridge, might not help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you mean the first few frets?

cause then raising the bridge, might not help.

It's on the first five frets or so. I wanted to try raising the action before doing anything else, even though I thought I would probably end up having to adjust the truss rod.
yeah, you're right. feel free to try the bridge adjustment. if that doesnt work then,

Fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
Fret the Low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you may have too much.

you can measure and repost before moving the bridge if you want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah, honestly, moving the bridge isnt going to help.

you can bring it in, if you arent crazy about moving the truss rod.

you can swap out for the next higher string gauge, swapping one string at a time.

or you can turn the truss rod nut 1/4" COUNTER CLOCKWISE. which is a very small turn.
dont force the turn.
and let the guitar sit in tune for an hour before measuring again.

dont turn more than 1/4" today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no problem
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

By 1/4" do you mean a quarter inch (I don't know how that could possibly make sense for this) or a quarter rotation (90 degrees)?
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 29, 2008,
here, to make it easier.

look down at the screw hole, and mentally divide it into 8 parts.

turn 1/8th counter clockwise.

if needed, after a couple hours, you can turn an additional 1/8 turn.

dont turn more than 1/4 today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62