Ok guys. I have a Squier J Bass (400 AUD RRP). Yesterday i n00bishly didn't tuck my lead into the strap, and then, of course, with my one slipup, I stepped on the lead. It's rooted the input. Looking in the hole, I can see the plug bent at about ninety degrees to where it should be. There was a horrible crunching sound when it happened. The lead is fine. I heard the J Bass line has a hideous mess of electronics under the faceplate. Help me, please!
How badly broken is it? Can it be fixed, how much would it cost? Would I be better off getting a new bass? etc.
Last edited by King Krapp at Oct 28, 2008,
we're gonna have to put it down - i'm sorry

seriously tho, try just pulling it out... it's the plug you're talking about right?

try unscrewing a few things and seeing if you can pop it out... its a squier, you aren't gonna do any damage to it that could decrease it's value any more. you should be able to fix it. If the guitar hole is broken, try finding a replacement part
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I step on my lead all the time...is that a bad thing?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
could you post a pic? it could really help us to help you
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Just take off the faceplate, bend everything back and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work, you can buy a new jack for cheap at Radioshack or something and fix it yourself, provided you have elementary soldering skills and a set of eyes to tell where which wire goes. If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a tech and tell him what happened.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
Just take off the faceplate, bend everything back and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work, you can buy a new jack for cheap at Radioshack or something and fix it yourself, provided you have elementary soldering skills and a set of eyes to tell where which wire goes. If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a tech and tell him what happened.

Thanks very much
Quote by Victory2134

Probably, y'knever know when it will break
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
pics please matey
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by Victory2134

yes and no.

yes, you can grind small rocks into your cable or do something even damaging to the instrument like TS here

no, every once and a wile will probably not hurt it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Sly Taco
Jazz Bass electronics are pretty simple, you can do it.

This^

If there's one project that would be fine for someone's first use of a solderinger iron with absolutely no previousl experience with electronics, this would probably be it.

TS, whoever told you there is a mess of electronics under that control panel is full of it. It's darn simple stuff and as everyone has said, you can just take off the contorl plate and do what you need to do (bend or replace the jack) without much worry. Have fun, and enjoy learning from the experience!