Topic. I've recently been picking up my chem teachers classical a lot in class (awesome dude) and I'm really starting to enjoy it. So I think I may take the dive and buy myself a classical, even though I've been saving that money for a new electric for a long time.

So what do you guys recommend? I have a budget of about say $800. Can be pushed a bit but not too much. One problem I'm running into is that I really like tall, thin frets. Unfortunately, I've yet to see a classical guitar with tall frets. Is there any on the market?

Other things I'd like are an ebony fretboard, and a cutout. Also a built in pickup/preamp if possible, but it's not necessary.

Just throw some suggestions my way or tell me I can't get what I want with that amount of cash. Any help is appreciated, would really like links to maybe GC or SA for the guitars you recommend if possible. Thanks guys
Ok, well sorry dude i dont think there are any thin fretted classicals, for you budget i would look into guild or into fender. They have that price range and i think they both do cutaway versions.
dont get a cutaway classical, that for noobs
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
classical guitars generally have high action because the string vibrates in a more wide motion then on an electric. tall frets obviously would be very bad, because the strings need lots of clearance.
Quote by SpeedLives
classical guitars generally have high action because the string vibrates in a more wide motion then on an electric. tall frets obviously would be very bad, because the strings need lots of clearance.

Ah ok. Well I suppose I can deal with out tall frets.

Quote by HenHouse
dont get a cutaway classical, that for noobs

Honestly, when your grammar is that bad, I can't take you seriously. And why is actually wanting the ability to use a fret above 12-14 make me a noob?

Anyways I'll check into fender and guild. Any other brands that are petty nice in my price range? I really liked this Ovation I played a while back but unfortunately it's basically double my max budget, so that's not gonna happen
Honestly, when your grammar is that bad, I can't take you seriously. And why is actually wanting the ability to use a fret above 12-14 make me a noob?

Right-o. Whilst he wasn't exactly nice, he was right. If you're going to play strict classical guitar, you won't be needing the cutaway, the first reason being you should have enough technique to reach them, the second reason is because it's not as common to find classical pieces played constantly up there.(not saying there are)

Fender acoustic guitars aren't as nice as their electrics. I have tried one of their classicals and wasn't convinced at all. I have no experience with Guilds. As for Ovation, they don't sit too well with me, but that's just a personal thing. I wanted one a while back and tried out a few and just realized none of their guitars were for me.

Soooooooooooo, in your range, I recommend Alhambra 5P, which can come with a cut away (just for you! ) and an acoustic electric version. I think the cutaway+acoustic electric might cost a bit more. Not sure about prices on your side of the pond.

Quote by Confusius
Right-o. Whilst he wasn't exactly nice, he was right. If you're going to play strict classical guitar, you won't be needing the cutaway, the first reason being you should have enough technique to reach them, the second reason is because it's not as common to find classical pieces played constantly up there.(not saying there are)

Fender acoustic guitars aren't as nice as their electrics. I have tried one of their classicals and wasn't convinced at all. I have no experience with Guilds. As for Ovation, they don't sit too well with me, but that's just a personal thing. I wanted one a while back and tried out a few and just realized none of their guitars were for me.

Soooooooooooo, in your range, I recommend Alhambra 5P, which can come with a cut away (just for you! ) and an acoustic electric version. I think the cutaway+acoustic electric might cost a bit more. Not sure about prices on your side of the pond.

I suppose I won't NEED those upper frets, but I'm sure the first classical piece I'd start to learn would end on like the 15th fret of the high E, and I'd just be like .

Yeah I've never liked fender electrics. I'd atleast like to try their classical's, but I really just don't like something about the necks.

I'll check out the alhambra, I've never heard of the brand though, hopefully they sell them in near me so I can check it out Thanks for the help man.

EDIT: Checked out Alhambra, the 5p without the cutaway or electronics is $851. Looks really nice man, thanks for turning me on to them! There's two dealers in Ohio, I'll definately be contacting them soon! Sound clips I've found are great, atleast IMO.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Oct 30, 2008,
I have an Esteve sloid top & sides a very reasonable guitar approx $600 > $800 AUD
try google.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!