Hello. I'm new here... so... Yeah.

Anyway, without wasting any time, I have a question.

First of all, This is NOT spam. I'm asking a question to see what the most popular answer is.

Anyway, I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, and I'm thinking of starting up my own band. However, I have a decision to make, I guess.

I play mainly Ska/Reggae, But I also play some hardcore punk [Or metal. Whatever. They are the same in my opinion] And so I'm wondering, Should I...

Thanks...

Also, If I do the second choice, I have a feeling I'm going to need something better than a cheep fender. (I need a better one,anyway... but yeah) ... Any suggestions for that? (I'm embarrassed to name what kind of fender I already have... so don't ask. Just name what you think would be good.)
        if its a real fender its got to be decent but if u want info on making a band theres a band leading forum u can go to here
        My Gear:
        Jackson DK2M
        PRS Paul Allender Sig
        Epiphone SG Special
        Fender Blues Jr.
        Roland Micro Cube
        Well... All I'll say is this. It's a shitty Squier. ._. No more. Seriously. This is sort of like penis size in a weird way.

(For the record, I do NOT have that problem. So........ just..... don't. Lol. I'm very well.)

EDIT: Okay. thanks for clearing that up.
        Do all of the options; why purposely limit the way you write songs?
        R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
        “A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
        Legion.
        Quote by Sublime_Dude
        Well... All I'll say is this. It's a shitty Squier. ._. No more. Seriously. This is sort of like penis size in a weird way.

(For the record, I do NOT have that problem. So........ just..... don't. Lol. I'm very well.)

EDIT: Okay. thanks for clearing that up.

For ska, fenders are pretty popular, anything that can get a really trebly sound is good for ska.

Hollow & Semi hollow bodies are also very popular for ska guitarists.

What amp do you have?
        Thats almost as bad as the guitar situation. I've got a 15W Spider III. x.x I despise it. But I sort of have a money problem at the moment... So I can't like run out and buy a new [anything] like... tomorrow or whatever.

EDIT: Zaphod_beeblebr... Good point. Thank you.
        Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Oct 28, 2008,
        Quote by Sublime_Dude
        Thats almost as bad as the guitar situation. I've got a 15W Spider III. x.x I despise it. But I sort of have a money problem at the moment... So I can't like run out and buy a new [anything] like... tomorrow or whatever.

You'll probably wanna get a new amp before a new guitar.

I've never played a spider, but from what i hear on this site they are absolute shit
        They;re not shit, it's just about impossible to get a decent tone out of it without it sounding fake as hell.

I would just do whatever you feel sounds good, really only you can tell yourself what kind of music you want to play.
        Yeah. They are. I wouldn't have gotten it if I would've known how bad they are before i bought it.

What amp would be good? I don't want to spend any more than 600 dollars.

By the way, that reminds me... What's up with the amp Bradley Nowell [Sublime] used? It's called "SH-101" but I can't find it ANYWHERE. Was it like... a custom amp that they built themselves or something? (No, I'm not implying that i would ever attempt that. I'm just curious. I'd like to have one of those if they're available to buy.)
        Quote by Sublime_Dude
        Yeah. They are. I wouldn't have gotten it if I would've known how bad they are before i bought it.

What amp would be good? I don't want to spend any more than 600 dollars.

By the way, that reminds me... What's up with the amp Bradley Nowell [Sublime] used? It's called "SH-101" but I can't find it ANYWHERE. Was it like... a custom amp that they built themselves or something? (No, I'm not implying that i would ever attempt that. I'm just curious. I'd like to have one of those if they're available to buy.)

Fender hot rod seems to be popular with ska musicians...if you can save up like 1,300$+ a twin reverb would also be great

no clue.
        ...Okay. o_o... Uhh... Yeah. Thanks for the info -shudders at that price- I would assume that the guitar that I will need after the amp will be insanely expensive as well. Am I right?
        Quote by Sublime_Dude
        ...Okay. o_o... Uhh... Yeah. Thanks for the info -shudders at that price- I would assume that the guitar that I will need after the amp will be insanely expensive as well. Am I right?

Once you have a good amp you won't need a new guitar for a while; good amps make beginner guitars sound much better than most people seem to think.

Quote by Master Foo
        “A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
        Legion.
        Quote by Sublime_Dude

Mim strats go for like 399$, and would be good for ska...but if you want a hollow body i have no idea what they go for.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/491/

that's what brad nowell used
        you won the prize for the best name for your thread... APLAUSSE please!

by the way, the second option is the hhumanity possible to do...
        so the second

the guitar? i don't know
        Quote by FatalGear41
        When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
        Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
        Tech 21 VT Bass
        Zoom b2
        Ok. I'll try out a Twin tomorrow when I go to GC. And also, just out of curiosity, am going to try a Hot Rod Deluxe. Not that I'll get that one or anything, but yeah.

Anyway, about the hot rod, I have my own setting of course, but Sublimes EQ setting is really cool, so I'm going to try that setting out. One question. "Presence" is the control for frequencies above treble, right? So, what should i put that on for sublime?

the standard one is

Bass-7
        Mid-0
        Treble-10/max

So... what would be good for presence? Thanks.
        Quote by Sublime_Dude
        Ok. I'll try out a Twin tomorrow when I go to GC. And also, just out of curiosity, am going to try a Hot Rod Deluxe. Not that I'll get that one or anything, but yeah.

Anyway, about the hot rod, I have my own setting of course, but Sublimes EQ setting is really cool, so I'm going to try that setting out. One question. "Presence" is the control for frequencies above treble, right? So, what should i put that on for sublime?

the standard one is

Bass-7
        Mid-0
        Treble-10/max

So... what would be good for presence? Thanks.

Needs more mids. Mids = Cutting through the mix = being heard. Either way, presence should be added to taste, start off with it at 12 o'clock and fiddle around with it until you like the tone.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
        Legion.
        Oh. Okay. That is the setting my friend told me. 7,0,10. Anyway, I still dont know what it will sound like because something unexpected came up today, so I couldnt go to GC. I'm going Sunday. I really hope I like it, though. Cause I hear its a pretty good amp, and the price is also good.
        Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
        Do all of the options; why purposely limit the way you write songs?

This 100000 percent. Write what you want and do everything you feel like doing.
        Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
        Yeah.. As for the poll thingy I did, I suppose I'll go with #2. But yeah. How does this rig sound?

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat, BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

? I've already got the CE-5 as you can see...
        With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Sounds a very good rig for ska, if you want to play any metal/hardcore punk [Take your pick on the name] you want to have a humbucker, i think a S/S/H Strat would be good for you. You can get your more chunky sound from the humbucker and your ska sound from the single.

You could use a variety of pedals to make your own unique tone, just a case of acquiring enough money to fund that, i wouldn't focus on pedals though, a new amp would do you the world of good
        Manchester United
        ... I hope you're joking. Either that, or I hope I just can't find the right one. The only "SSH" I can find is a squier =\...

EDIT: ... I found an HHS...
        With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Oct 29, 2008,
        i think you mean "HSS", it's the proper term. also called a "fat strat"
        http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Fat-Strat-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=510477
        http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster?sku=512870
        http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
        these are all good choices, there are other brands that make them. also, here are some affordable hollowbodies and semi-hollowbodies (semi-hollowbodies would be better for your needs I think, less feedback): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Epiphone+hollow+body
        "A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
        Your squier is fine, go bring it to get it set up and it'll play better.
        Check out the hot rod deluxe for sure. this will also suffice in a band, so you'll be set.

I'm getting a vibe you don't play skacore (eg. The flaming tsunamis, bosstones) but more like ska punk/poppunk (sublime, RBF, Operation ivy)

So that amp will do the job, as well as your guitar.

And btw, Idk what makes people think that treble = ska, because it's not true. Some cases it is, but really you want a nice clean sound. Why would you want a hollowbody if you want treble.
        Peavey 6505+
        Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
        Fender Telecaster Blacktop
        Gretsch G5120
        get a jim root tele
        Gear:
        Morpheus Droptune
        Ibanez Weeping Demon
        Bugera 333xl 212
        SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
        Quote by l3p4rd
        Your squier is fine, go bring it to get it set up and it'll play better.
        Check out the hot rod deluxe for sure. this will also suffice in a band, so you'll be set.

I'm getting a vibe you don't play skacore (eg. The flaming tsunamis, bosstones) but more like ska punk/poppunk (sublime, RBF, Operation ivy)

So that amp will do the job, as well as your guitar.

And btw, Idk what makes people think that treble = ska, because it's not true. Some cases it is, but really you want a nice clean sound. Why would you want a hollowbody if you want treble.

You don't have to have trebly sound for ska, but it IS very popular
        Quote by Swap-Meet
        You don't have to have trebly sound for ska, but it IS very popular

it's really not. the only band that used super treble was the specials, and they just used alot of reverb. Gives the illusion of alot of treble.

but ska (like punk) is what you make of it. There's no rule book, you can be as heavy or as light as you want, as long as YOU like your tone, that's all the matters.

I found this out because I have a different tone than any band I've heard myself, I play ska with almost a rockabilly tone, works for me. I love it. Just find what you like.
        Peavey 6505+
        Gretsch G5120
        After the amp, I'm going to get an HSS. In the brown sunburst. only one question. is the maple neck or the rosewood neck better?

Quote by Sublime_Dude
        After the amp, I'm going to get an HSS. In the brown sunburst. only one question. is the maple neck or the rosewood neck better?

that's pure preference.
        Peavey 6505+
        Gretsch G5120
        Quote by myearshurt
        Rosewood has darker tone and maple has a brighter tone.

but it's not really noticeable. Like barely.
        Peavey 6505+
        Gretsch G5120
        Okay. Just forget how noticeable it is or isn't, and tell me, I would want a brighter tone for ska, right? (I also like the color of the maple. 'Cause I think I'm going to get the blue one, and it looks too weird with the blue body, white pick guard and hardware, then the dark brown neck/fretboard... IMO.)