I've got to ask, I've heard people say slapping is bad for your fretboard, and will wear it down. Is this true? And if so, is it the same for tapping?
Putting strings on your bass is bad for your fretboard. Touching your fretboard is bad for your fretboard. Exposing your bass to oxygen is bad for your fretboard.

Do what it was made to do and slap it 'till the cows come home.
I mean that from what people have said, the faster and harder press of the string against the fret can wear them down. Is this true? If so, how often will I have to get this fixed for the bass to be okay? I really can't afford to get this fixed...
I understand that everything tends to wear down the bass, but does it cause enough damage for it to be of concern?
Nope.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
You would literally have to slap as hard as Flea for 14 hours a day and you would need to replace it after 10 years
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by mooselord
The only way this should be of concern to you is if you own a fretless. Slapping can damage the fretboard quickly if that is the case, but if your bass is fretted, you'll be fine.

not if you coat the fretboard.

or if you're using flats. but something tells me fretless and flatwounds won't slap so well anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I press my strings too hard
some fretboard damage...

eh, it is a cheap bass, anyways
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
you're more likely to hurt your thumb than your fretboard. man do i hate slapping.
Quote by the humanity
not if you coat the fretboard.

or if you're using flats. but something tells me fretless and flatwounds won't slap so well anyways.

I heard you de-fretted yours, was it the gsr?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Okay, cool. And no, mine is not a fretless. It's the Ibanez GSR190, a cheap starter bass.
Quote by herby190
Okay, cool. And no, mine is not a fretless. It's the Ibanez GSR190, a cheap starter bass.

Is that the sting ray style one?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by herby190

You have nothing to worry about then. If you're still concerned, you could try using compression wound strings. They sound almost the same as normal roundwounds, but are a little "flatter," and so do not damage your frets. I'd recommend DR sunbeams or Rotosound 55's. to be fair, I've never actually used 55's, but if they're anything like 66's, they'll be excellent. I swear by the DR's. They feel better than any other string I've used. Ever. They are nickel, though, which means they will be more mellow than steel strings (I prefer that, but I don't know how you like your bass to sound) and they will corrode/rust a little after 1.5-2 months. It's not a big deal though, they just look nasty. Plus, that's around the time I'd be changing strings anyway.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
You have nothing to worry about then. If you're still concerned, you could try using compression wound strings. They sound almost the same as normal roundwounds, but are a little "flatter," and so do not damage your frets. I'd recommend DR sunbeams or Rotosound 55's. to be fair, I've never actually used 55's, but if they're anything like 66's, they'll be excellent. I swear by the DR's. They feel better than any other string I've used. Ever. They are nickel, though, which means they will be more mellow than steel strings (I prefer that, but I don't know how you like your bass to sound) and they will corrode/rust a little after 1.5-2 months. It's not a big deal though, they just look nasty. Plus, that's around the time I'd be changing strings anyway.

I've only been playing a couple weeks, so I don't really know if I want a mellow or sharp sound; I'll most likely be playing Punk or Metal if the band a friend of mine is starting up works out, so I'm guessing I'd want a sharper sound?
Your choice, really. You wouldn't want a truly mellow sound for punk or metal, but the DR's aren't that mellow. Just mellower than the rotosounds. I use them, and I play in a metal band. If you're really strapped for cash, the rotosounds will probably last longer. But they're $10 more.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
Your choice, really. You wouldn't want a truly mellow sound for punk or metal, but the DR's aren't that mellow. Just mellower than the rotosounds. I use them, and I play in a metal band. If you're really strapped for cash, the rotosounds will probably last longer. But they're $10 more.

Well, I really am strapped for cash, so that sounds about right for me.