Do any of you guys change up basic open chords (A, G etc) by incorporating open strings and playing near the middle and upper neck ? In effect you are incorporating a wider range of notes (Frequency wise) in chords. I feel like it gives chords a more dreamy floaty feeling. I tend to use these alot in my playing.

For example, instead of a regular A open chord play:

5 12
0 0
6 or 9
7 11
0 0
x x

Here is a chord progression I made using open strings

4---9---9----0----4---5
5---7---0----12---5---5
6---7---11--10---6---6
7---7---12--12---7---7
0---9---x----11---0---0
x---x---x-----x----x----x

These chords seem to work alot better when played through an acoustic guitar with a very warm resonating sounds....
Last edited by psychosylocibin at Oct 28, 2008,
Too much of a broad range in notes results in a sloppy sound. Not very dreamy in my opinion.

I'll try out those chords in a bit though
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
thats an alright chord progression. though having a melody over the top of that would sound wierd due to them being dis-similer frequency wise. however it could work well.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Yeah, that chord progression is actually meant to be played along with another (similar) chord progression, so it does sound kind of strange by itself, especially the 4th chord. I was just too lazy to write the other one out.
open stringed chords are great... let me share some of the ones i use alot.

x x x
0 0 0
11 2 0
8 6 6
6 4 4
x x x

I like alot of dissonance, and these are just some chords that get me through the day
myspace.com/soundsofmeta