The imitation Floyd on my Ibanez RG220B (from around 2002-ish) recently became too blunt to use (light bar waggling and even heavy palm muting could throw it off-tune) and so I had to block it. I've decided to relegate it to be my backup/alternative tuning guitar and get myself a new main axe.

I drew up some requirements (Floyd Rose, fast neck, active EMG or other metal pickups) and after some research, I think I've got it down to two options, the Jackson DKMG and Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR. The former is around £450-£500 and the latter £600-£650, the main technical difference begin the Jackson has a LFR (Jackson's JT580 to be exact) whereas the Schecter has an OFR.

Now onto my actual question - Should I spend the extra £150 or so for the real thing or is the Jackson's trem going to be tough enough to withstand moderate use? I don't want to go cheap only to spend £200 on an OFR a couple of years into its life.

Thanks.
If you've had problems with a floyd in the past, I wouldnt want to make the same mistake twice.

That being said, I have no real experience in the matter as i have an Edge III trem but have only had it for like 7 months.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
There's no difference between a licensed and an original. The only difference is that a licensed one says licensed. What you need to find out, is what metal is used to make the tremelo. Licensed ones tend to made of cheap metals, but even a name brand license like a peavey can be cheap.
to be honest I'd say its a close contest, jackson trems at that price range are actually fairly solid, but to be absolutly honest I would say the original is the better option

I think if you wanna be sure email jackson customer support and ask if the licensed trem is all real steel aka none of it is the crappy cast steal cheap licensed trems tend to be made of as proper steal is the most enduring
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by thebasshacker
There's no difference between a licensed and an original. The only difference is that a licensed one says licensed. What you need to find out, is what metal is used to make the tremelo. Licensed ones tend to made of cheap metals, but even a name brand license like a peavey can be cheap.

The LFRs usually have different dimensions.

Keep in mind the guitars are also quite a bit different. Jackson's necks are thin and flat, schecter's are fat and curved. As far as the bridge goes, i do know that schecter's OFRs are made by Gotoh. Jackson's LFRs are known to be very high quality, and i think are backed by a warranty.
Thanks for the replies guys. The trem on the Jackson sounds like it's robust enough. I prefer the thinner neck on the Jackson so I guess this is good news all around.
I think that the OFR on the schecter might not be so much better than the LFR on the Jackson.
Dont forget that schecter doesnt use the German Schaller OFR's, but cheaply made MIK ones. I still have doubts about these trems. I havent tested them yet. I heard they are pretty stable, but i think that in a year or 2-3 the first problems might come up. We'll see about then. In the meanwhile, i remain suspicious.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by thebasshacker

eeeee i dont know if i entirely agree with this statement, be very careful of the shitty jackson trem and the like, they can be a mother bear to get working right the overall quality and stability just isnt there
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
^(to LP_CL) that would be my concern.

what about an ibanez rg1570? those have edge pros, which seem to be nice bridges.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?