I was wondering which one would be a better guitar, I'm decinding between a Dean ML XM and an Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer. So which one would be better and why? By the way I'm looking for the most metal sound, as in Slipknot/Mastodon/Metallica.
A Dean. Y? Cuz it's got more guitar for the $$. With Gibsons (which Epiphones are), you pay for the brand name mainly. And Dean guitars are pretty much made for Metal/Hard Rock.
depends on the price. Epi's are good but are way overpriced(because of the brand). Deans are more famous for their metal sound but the explorer is a lot more versatile when you need it to be. if you can get the epi for less than $400 including shipping tax ext. its a very good buy, plus epi has more of a reputation for durability and longer playing life than deans.
But is there any difference between the sound of the two? and, in an average, how long do Epiphone last, and Deans? Cuz I have a beginners guitar that looks somewhat like a fender and the tuning head it says carlo robelli but it's not that good of a guitar, the strings keep braking really fast, but that might just be the strings, and it can get tough to slide your hand up and down the guitar.
I'm also considering the LTD alexi 200, which one out of the three should I get, and btw I'm looking for a guitar that can handle dark tones, like drop C alot, please help
its called the edit button use it
and to answer your question the epiphone would with out of doubt be the best choice low end deans are horrible break easy and dont sound good they sell by their shape and you said you want to do diffrent tunings so the ltd is ruled out because you can just go changing tuning with a trem and its too much maitence for a beginer
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Toddishahobo
depends on the price. Epi's are good but are way overpriced(because of the brand). Deans are more famous for their metal sound but the explorer is a lot more versatile when you need it to be. if you can get the epi for less than $400 including shipping tax ext. its a very good buy, plus epi has more of a reputation for durability and longer playing life than deans.

LOL super-fail.

Go with whichever one you think feels better.
Personally, i would never buy a dean. Especially a low end one. I don't think i'd buy an Alexi either, because the single bridge pickup seems fairly restrictive and i haven't heard great things about LTD's lower end floyd rose bridges. So, out of the 3 i'd choose the epiphone, but that's just me.
Contrary to what has been said before, i think that the dean would be the least guitar for the price if you plan on leaving it stock.
What amp are you using?
Also, the guitar you have now probably needs a setup, and there is probably a sharp edge or 2 somewhere on the guitar that is digging into the strings, making them break faster.
For how long the Dean and Epiphone will last, i can't tell you for sure, because a lot of it depends on the player and the conditions it is kept in. I would come to the guess that the epiphone will last a good deal longer than the dean, though.
wait I epic failed!?!?!
ANNNNY way... ML XM deans are famous for the one drop =kill. Plus they also sport a low quality string through body which can be prone to jamming and lack of sustain. ML XM's also often sport low end tuners and (along with the string thru body) can lead to having to do serious retuning often. New tuners can be added but it just adds hassle. On the other hand Deans are about half the price and with care, proper set up, and maintenance can produce a superior metal tone than an epi. an improved model is available: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-ML-Phantom-XT-Electric-Guitar?sku=519815

it has improved electronics, wood and tuners plus it sports a floyd rose trem.

On the other hand epiphones are far superior straight-out-of-box (although a proper set up by a professional is still suggested). They also sport much hotter pickups than the ML XM. However The Goth series are known to lack versatility and If you need to change up your set list(if you play live) or if you want to jam and need to change it up you may fall into problems(one of the main complaints on reviews of this guitar is its "hollow" sound when clean).

There are two other slightly more expensive versions of the explorer available the 58 reissue and the natural korina wood model. they both have similar sounds but are more versatile and support less hot pickups. plus the gold hardware and ACTUAL INLAIDS are usually ascetically preferred,

The tuners of most epi's are grover(not guaranteed on goths) they have a far superior tuning ability and can tune down with less issues, plus they stay in tune much longer(both in use and unplayed.) My epi es-335 dot was tuned and left under my bed (in its hard-case) for a week and the tuning remained unchanged(verified with a tuner). there are however defect models and such which can lead to a bad reputation but grovers are popular for their quality.

As far as metal sound it usualy depends on the setup/rig of the player and their preferences. Explorers are known for a heavier sound(and weight), on a completely unmentioned note explorers are much (physically) heavier than the dean. weight can add to the difficulty of playing and transport (and in many cases tone) have you considered this?

and where are you buying this and what is your budget(no to be rude)?
Last edited by Toddishahobo at Oct 31, 2008,
transport is no problem, I mostly play at my house or take the guitar to my friends house to play in our band, and I'm VERY careful when it comes to instruments, how can it make it difficult to play, I don't move much, I'm a very static player, all I do is headbang. Also I'm buying it at Sam Ash or Guitar Center, and I don't want to spend more than around 400, I think my parents are gonna pay the guitar little by little.
Do you live in the upper 48 states? i live in Hawaii and shipping is a bitch...

If you live in the "upper 48" you should be able to get the guitar easier online. (unless you are going to buy locally which should be easier and cheaper anyway)

and as far as playability goes the explorer is much heavier and depending on your height, body, type, and such it can lead to slight awkwardness depending on the placement of the strap buttons (differs by model and year) many players switch strap positions between back of guitar slightly under the neck and next to the neck. it usually varies by player and year and different people complain about both. Goth models feature the strap pin "next to the neck" but a good guitar tech should be able to move it if you so desire. also because of weight and shape it can cause fatigue easier, luckily as you mentioned about being a "static" player you shouldn't have that problem as frequently. I recommend visiting a local shop that lets you try out different model and to try out the weight and sound(if you can).
Last edited by Toddishahobo at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by rockhardmetal
A Dean. Y? Cuz it's got more guitar for the $$. With Gibsons (which Epiphones are), you pay for the brand name mainly. And Dean guitars are pretty much made for Metal/Hard Rock.

100% agree with him
The Life = A Place To Waste Energy
I wouldn't buy either. Dude when guys break out the Jackson's they know whay time it is... Shread time. Look at the Jackson SLSMG. Probably pick one up for about the same price as a decent Epi LP. Way better then both and will give you the sound your looking for.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I wouldn't buy either. Dude when guys break out the Jackson's they know whay time it is... Shread time. Look at the Jackson SLSMG. Probably pick one up for about the same price as a decent Epi LP. Way better then both and will give you the sound your looking for.

Uh...what? Those are a thousand bucks.
You're*
Epiphone all the way

that alexi is a crap guitar made to trick beginners like you (no offense) to buying it because it looks cool and it's got a good guitar players name on it.

Dean....no. Unless you're going higher end with the dean, no. Stay away.

Epiphones are good guitars, most of the time they just need new pickups to reach their highest potential.

and the jackson slsmg, mentioned in previous posts, it's 1000 bucks, and it looks like butt.

Also what amp are you using? do you play anymore than just metal?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Survivalism
Uh...what? Those are a thousand bucks.

My Epi new was $500. You can find a SLSMG for that price if you look. The prices that you see are not what a good store will sell you one for. They are much less.
Quote by Sin City Sid
My Epi new was $500. You can find a SLSMG for that price if you look. The prices that you see are not what a good store will sell you one for. They are much less.

No.

Links for gtfo.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I play metal for my band, and just to jam so yeah mostly metal, sometimes when I feel like it I'll play some MCR for shits and giggles. my amp is very crappy, it's a small amp, it's a guitar research VL8, and I live in Florida, soon I'll go to sam ash and try the Epiphone and the Dean, they'll let me play it as much as I want
a new amp will benfit you more but alot of these posts are biasd opinions listen to l3p4rd he seems to know what hes saying
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
^Thank you^

Quote by karurosu
I play metal for my band, and just to jam so yeah mostly metal, sometimes when I feel like it I'll play some MCR for shits and giggles. my amp is very crappy, it's a small amp, it's a guitar research VL8, and I live in Florida, soon I'll go to sam ash and try the Epiphone and the Dean, they'll let me play it as much as I want

I live in florida too. South?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
nha, middle, I live in Tampa, kinda boring but it's comfy, although I wish it was colder