Ok I know a lot about most guitar gear, EXCEPT speaker cabs. So I'll ask a question about them. I have decided to get a new amp head and a cab to go with it. I can't afford a good cab so I was wondering:

What if I bought a cheap ass Crate V212 and swapped the speakers for high end speakers? Would it sound as good as a cab I would end up paying hundreds more for? Or is there that much more to a cab than just it's speakers?
There is more to a cab than just speakers. If you're on a budget I'd take a look at an avatar 2x12. Pretty nice cabs and they'll load whatever speakers you want in it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
There is much more than just than just the speakers. But it would help the cab immensly. Construction materials matter as does open and closed back. I'm sure there's more other people will mentioni.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
They both said it right.

But. Don't get the wrong impression, speakers will make by FAR the biggest difference in a cabinet short of changing your amp completely.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by SeveralSpecies
So how good would that cheap crate piece of junk sound with two vintage 30's in it?

that's like 200$ worth of mods man isn't that a bit steep to put into a piece of junk?
Construction helps but ultimately its open or closed back and mainly speakers that give it the tone. Having one thats built like a house doesn't hurt though.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by tona_107
that's like 200$ worth of mods man isn't that a bit steep to put into a piece of junk?

That's why I was asking if it would sound great or if it would be a waste.

edit: Or how about a used one. How about this for only $175?

click

edit2: damn url hang on
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Oct 28, 2008,
actually, the wood used makes a difference. cant remember if you can rely on the same characteristics as guitar tonewoods, but it does make a difference.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
It doesn't make a huge difference though. I've built 4 cabs for myself now and one was made from particle board (the cheapest shit ever) and the most recent was made from one and a half inch thick Birch. They have the sam speakers (Vintage-30's) and the difference is the look and the weight basically. I've spent hours comparing the two and the only thing I find that alters the sound drastically besides the speakers is an open or closed back.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
^^Almost all cabs are made of the same stuff. What it comes down to is how is the cab joined (just screws and glue, or are the sides joined with dovetail joints) The size of the cab is also very important. It's an art getting the exact dimensions right to make a cab sound perfect.

^This guy makes a good point, the only thing that would trouble me with particle board is durability, other than that
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
That link you posted looks like a good deal. Never heard of those speakers before but the cab seems well built.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
Just get an Avatar vintage 2x12. They're probably the cheapest decent cabinet you can find. It's something like $358 loaded with speakers and the cabinets themselves are pretty decent.
i think that people are forgetting that the crate v212 is actually a $300 cab that is selling for around 60% off its normal price. it may not be the best option out there, but it is probably not that much worse than an avatar 2x12, which will cost around $300 as well. for the difference in price you can put in a couple of speakers that cost around $100 each and have something that i would think is better than the avatar.

honestly, the avatar is a budget option, as is the crate. i would consider both to be fairly similar. if you want to spend a few hundred more you will get something a lot better, but for a cheap option i would go for the crate and new speakers.
Quote by jof1029
i think that people are forgetting that the crate v212 is actually a $300 cab that is selling for around 60% off its normal price. it may not be the best option out there, but it is probably not that much worse than an avatar 2x12, which will cost around $300 as well. for the difference in price you can put in a couple of speakers that cost around $100 each and have something that i would think is better than the avatar.

honestly, the avatar is a budget option, as is the crate. i would consider both to be fairly similar. if you want to spend a few hundred more you will get something a lot better, but for a cheap option i would go for the crate and new speakers.

Just because it's 60% off doesn't change the fact that a $300 cabinet still sucks, especially from a commercial manufacturer. A pair of quality speakers alone will cost around $200. The Crate V212B is a particle board cabinet, the Avatar is all birch ply, the Avatar at $358 comes loaded with a pair of quality speakers from the get go, and I will be willing to bet all my gear combined that it has better construction as well. Avatars are the best cabinets available for low prices. Their 4x12 vintage cabinet is easily just as good as Marshall's 1960 cabinets to my ears.

The cabinet is not just a box to house speakers, the enclosure itself is just as important as the speakers you load it with.
Lopoline 2x12 > Avatar 2x12 imo.

Cheaper too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lopoline doesn't make an oversized bluesbreaker style 2x12. They do make the diagonal 2x12, but I never really liekd how they sounded.
^ I'm pretty sure they'll make it if you email them, I've seen some they've made in the past.

Lopolines are a lot easier to record with too, they have removable grilles
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com