I have a Squire Strat. The Fender would be a good improvement on the sound I have already, but the Epi would be a totally different look, sound, and feel.

Ultimately I think it's up to me but post your thoughts.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
Quote by me
musical style, amp, ability, favourite bands/guitarists, sound you are after

^^^
these are things that are helpful to know
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by amason51
put humbucker in the squier and get a MIM fender

why would he waste 100$ on a piece of shit guitar. you're an idiot man.

strats and lp's are completely different guitars, from their sound to their playability, so you're gonna need to post some more info.
I like stuff like Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Cream. Most 60s and 70s bands. I play that along with some metal and other stuff. I have a tiny 6 inch Squire, and a Digitech RP250. I'm gonna get a better amp sometime. I Dunno what to say about ability, but I started 5 months ago and I'm probably a little better than most after 5 months. The sound I'm after is the nice, overdriven sound like the bands I mentioned.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
either guitar will suit those nicely, although Im inclined to the strat because of your inclusion of hendrix and cream, alll up, I say try out both in your price range and see which one plays better
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
That's what I was thinking too.

I have a question for any Fender Standard Strat owners who use their tremolo a lot. Do your bars bend and eventually, brake? The one on mine broke, so I was wondering if the bars were the same on Fenders' or not.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
If the bar broke in 5 months of use, something was wrong. Either there was a severe manufacturing defect, or you were abusing it in a way that it isn't meant to be used. I've got a Squier strat sitting around somewhere here and the bar is still fine after two years or so, and I'd be amazed if it ever broke.

As far as the guitar choice goes, I'd say neither, and instead of guitar, put all the money you have available into a new amp.

You want a crunchy classic overdrive of the likes of Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Cream? Changing guitar won't get you that. You need a different amp, not guitar.
Specifically, you need a medium gain dark-voiced (often known as the 'british tone') tube amp. Typical examples are larger stack amps by Marshall or Orange. The cheap Marshalls are awful though, so avoid those. You should be able to get a decent combo amp though. I'd suggest something like the Orange Tiny Terror Combo amp, it'll run you about £100 more than the Epi or Fender guitar will, but it'll give you a much better tone than changing guitar would.

In terms of the guitar itself, most Squiers are usually good enough for people to stick with for their first year or two at least. I've even known a few people who have used Squiers for playing gigs, with a couple of simple modifcations to the guitar. It depends greatly on which specific model of Squier guitar you have though, some are a little better than others. Even so, it is alway a bad idea to get a new guitar or change your existing guitar, before getting a new amp. You might find with a new amp, your current guitar sounds fine, so any guitar changes would have been a waste of money! Or you might find you change guitar first, then through your current amp it'll sound the same as your old one and you'll regret spending the money on the guitar.

Amp first, guitar second.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
No one can really answer this except you! Get yourself down to a guitar store and play each one and one of them will just call out to you "take me home, caress me, look after me and make music with me", at least mine did.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
I had a strat squier, and it was ok. I upgraded to an Ibanez RGA121 which is a strat with humbuckers, mahogany body and maple cap. Sounds more like a Les Paul than strat.
I also have an Epi Les Paul Ultra and Epi Les Paul Jr. 57 reissue. I rather have the Les Paul type sound the mahogany body will give. Do not get the Epi LP special with bolt on neck for $200, made of plywood.
You can get a bit of the sound you want with an over drive pedal and a fuzz box going into a little amp. I have a Roland MicroCube with 5 inch speaker. Not great, but sounds ok. The Vox AC30 would be better with 10 inch speaker.
This shit is gonna cost you. Vox used maybe $200, Microcube $100 used. Epi Les Paul used, $300. Try before you buy with a cheaper guitar if possible. They can vary quite a bit. Get a higher end Epi LP if you can, the cheaper ones are kinda lame. Agile has good LP knockoffs, but are 10 lbs. Returned one cause it would not balance on my knee for seated play.
depends.. if it's a mexico strat... go for a standard lp..
if it's a japan strat flip a coin
and if it's an USA strat go for strat
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Go to a shop and TRY THEM.

Seriously, both guitars are completely different, and they both have a different scale lenght.
I personally prefer 25.5 as the Gibson scale is quite uncomfortable - don't get a guitar that you may not like the fell of, go and try them!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
if the fender is american, totally go for the fender first. much better investment too. the second you buy an epiphone its value drops
Go with the guitar you like the most. Both are excellent and with a good amp you can pretty much play any genre. Clapton played a Gibson SG for the most part when with Cream.
What would you guys consider a good amp? The amp I have right now is a 10 watt, 6 inch speaker, the one that comes with the SE Special Strat pack.

I was thinking this, but it has mixed reviews and I'm not sure if it's a good step up from mine.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
That doesn't sound too bad actually. Is that thing good quiet though? I play mostly at home so I have to keep in mind the rest of my family. And it would be nice to have a more portable amp, but I still have the SP10 for that.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
I said this in another thread today. I lke my HSS American Deluxe better than my Les Pauls. I do not if I just lucked out and got a good one or what. My set up guy messed around with it and remarked that the neck was one of the best he had ever seen and he is a Gibson and Epi dealer.

I have been looking for another guitar lately to feed my addiction and I have been bidding on Strats although I just saw a flame top locally and I am about to go and try to trade my 2008 for it.

The Strat is so easy to play fast and accurately. The Les Paul is a bit of a workout just because the action on the Strat is so much better. Sound wise, the Les Paul may be a little better, but I will probably put some bareknuckles in it soon. Truth be known, I can make my Strat sound as good as my Les Paul though with my G Force.

Unless the Epi is better than the Gibson, I would try and find a nice used Deluxe. I have seen them around $ 700. You will not regret it.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by amason51
put humbucker in the squier and get a MIM fender

That's actually what I'm gonna when I get a Fender Strat
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by GuyWithOneEye
That's what I was thinking too.

I have a question for any Fender Standard Strat owners who use their tremolo a lot. Do your bars bend and eventually, brake? The one on mine broke, so I was wondering if the bars were the same on Fenders' or not.

im an obsessive whammy user, in my solos, and mine hasnt broken yet. but i just got the whammy bar about 3 months ago.
Has it bent? My idea of heavy tremolo use is like Hendrix rendition Star Spangled Banner.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!