I'll probably be buying a new bass amp in the next week or so..

I've got my eyes on a fender pro HD400 and 2 ampeg 15's...

The only (pro) bassist ive seen using a rig made up of 15's is Hooky (Peter Hook) from Joy Division and New Order..

Basically i'm asking for some feedback.. or if anyone uses a raw rig (no pedals) with amp + 2 15's to let me know, so i can have a play at whatever it is that you use..

P.S. general suggestions of bass rigs similar to this are also appreciated, though please don't suggest 4, 6, or 8x10s cause i already know what they can and can't do..

Cheers, FeOg
Epiphone G400 - Cherry red
Ibanez SR900 - Violin Burst
Zoom B1x
Crossfire Chorus, Delay, Phaser
Jim Dunlop CB95 Wah
OLD Fender Frontman.. 38W.. no idea wth is with it..
Bugera 333XL 2x12 combo
Hartke HA5500 + 2x VX115
Its all about your soaund. obviosly 15's are going to bassier with less treble. But evreything can be eq in. I suspect many people use a setup like this. It will work fine. Maybe if want more mids as well you could do something like a 2x12 and 1x15. The 12's take care of mids and treble while still keeping bassy.
2x15 will be fine al long as you have a good eq i recon ive never played this rig so idont know.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Oct 29, 2008,
lol, i dunno about you guys, but i play bass:P

when i said alternatives, i meant >15" lol

but 12's do sound like a good idea..
Epiphone G400 - Cherry red
Ibanez SR900 - Violin Burst
Zoom B1x
Crossfire Chorus, Delay, Phaser
Jim Dunlop CB95 Wah
OLD Fender Frontman.. 38W.. no idea wth is with it..
Bugera 333XL 2x12 combo
Hartke HA5500 + 2x VX115
12 are still pretty deep. Do you mean two seperate 15's or them all in the one cab. Or you ould just go bad ass and have a 2x15 and a 4x12 that would be pretty killer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I use a Mesa/Boogie rig consisting of a Bass 400 head and a Diesel 2x15 cab, most often with no pedals.

It's a really full-range rig for only having fifteens. It naturally has tons of lows and low-mids from being ported and having large speakers, but it also has plenty of high-end; so much so that it doesn't have or need a horn.

Is there anything you'd like to know specifically about it?

Quote by fatgoogle
Its all about your soaund. obviosly 15's are going to bassier with less treble. But evreything can be eq in. I suspect many people use a setup like this. It will work fine. Maybe if want more mids as well you could do something like a 2x12 and 1x15. The 12's take care of mids and treble while still keeping bassy.
2x15 will be fine al long as you have a good eq i recon ive never played this rig so idont know.

Actually, you can't just use EQ to fix problem spots in cabs. If your cab is incapable of reproducing a frequency your EQ is feeding it, you're just wasting the speaker's power. For example, boosting the 33Hz slider on my EQ will not increase the low-end of a cab only capable of going down to 55 or 60Hz. It may get a bit more bassy-sounding, but realistically you're wasting frequency space that could be used for zones that the cab is meant to project. On said cab, boosting an 80Hz slider would be much better for adding a thunderous bottom. Conversely, adding tons of high-end with an EQ when you're using a cab that can't reproduce it is also bad.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 29, 2008,
I'm personally a big fan of the classic 410 + 115 setup. Has the fullest sound, to me, with plenty of rumble, punch, and sparkle.

If you got a 215 fridge, I think you would look like a total badass getting an 810 fridge to along with it. Though that's quite a bit of coin, there, I'm interested to hear how sexy that would sound (assuming it's a good brand we're talking about).
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
^ That's how Ginder's setup was, when I saw the Smashing Pumpkins last Friday.

8x10 cab next to two stacked 15's all ABM series.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Oh, I saw them last year, didn't notice that! How did it sound to you?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.