Hello there, As you can see, I'm new here to the forum.
So yeah, please be gentle.

I've been playing guitar for about a year now. But I only started taking it seriously a few months ago. I'm really into classical rock and metal. The only problem is that my guitar isn't what I need. I have a strat copy, its says glen burton on the headstock and instead of having three single coils it has two singles and a humbucker at the bridge (does anyone else here have one?). I've been using this to learn all my songs but sometimes it doesn't sound right due to my crappy amp. Yup, this is my gear. It sucks right now.

I was thinking of getting a new guitar this year plus a better amp and a multi effects pedal. Since I know that you fellow guitarists have more experience than me. Do you guys have any recommendations for a new guitar or amp or good multi effects pedal for a medium price?

For the guitar, I'd love to have a tremolo system. An Ibanez would do it just fine. I really want to play a lot of songs with trem riffs in them. My friend said I should get a Les paul instead. But I'm on a tight budget so yeah. Its hard to decide.. My budget is around $300 - $500 for the guitar.

For the amp, I'd just like one that won't suck. I'd like a clear clean tone. It doesn't necessarily have to have distortion on it but It would be great if it sounded well.
I don't have much expectations for the multi effects pedal but I would like to hear some recommendations from you guys. My cash for the amp is around $200-$300. But for the pedal, just as long as the price isn't absurd. Like $500 or something. Something around $100-$300 would be great.
Definately get an Ibanez. Your on a point where u can still change what music you will play/like. Ibanez has a trem and is a good all around guitar for a GOOD price. LEs paul doesn't have a tremelo and will only show it's true love if you can play good, or in a blues rock style.

As far as an amp goes; I'm not quite sure.

And the fx pedal won't cost 500 bucks. You better spend moeny on a good tube amp combo 50 watts or less will be good enough.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Surely, for metal, you'll want the 'bucker at the bridge?

Guitar wise, my suggestion would be to try a few out; there's a fair amount of playing difference between an LP and an Ibanez. Both will feel a lot different, so pick the one that feels right.

My advice would be to forget about the multi effects for now - you're gonna get a much better amp for $600. You're better off with a decent foundation than a pair of sub-standard pieces of equiptment.
You could go for a modeling amp so you can have effects and a good amp in one. Roland Microcube or Cube 30x if you want a better metal tone or Vox AD or D series if you want a better classic rock tone. There is also the Peavey Vyrpr, but I haven't played one yet. Buy the amp first, you will notice the difference in tone a lot more with a better amp than with a new guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Yeah, I'd say the Ibanez is a pretty well rounded guitar, which would allow you to still come into your own as a player. It'd be versitile enough to do rock and metal, and some other styles if need be, overall they are pretty good axes.

As far as an amp goes, if metal and rock is your thing, I'd just save and go with a good amp first and formost, as that combined with a new guitar would really pump you up for the next level of your playing. Multieffects are fun, but you playing should come first and not get masked behind a bunch of effects you wouldn't even end up using much of.
the very best gibson les paul or ibanez or strat would still sound shit through a crappy amp. even for slash or jimi hendriz or eric clapton. granted, it would sound better if they were playing, but still not awesome.

If your amp is really bad, get a better amp first. if you can get a decent one for cheap and still afford a guitar, a cheap ibanez sounds like the way to go.

im a les paul man so i don't know much about metal guitars. maybe a jackson? explorer?
i got a ibanez s320

its pretty cheap i dont know how much it is in dollars but i got mine for £300
its got a decent trem, locking tuners, 2 decent humbuckers...

vox ad30vt for your amp definately, i think its like 300 dollars, got 11 effects on it and decent clean tones and insane distortion.

effects you dont really need but summat cheap you mite look at the Line 6 Pocket POD??
I wouldnt bother with a multi Fx atm, get a better amp with the extraa $500 imo
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Guitar: Ibanez (test some before you buy and try some other brands, not everybody looks for the same thing in a guitar). A humbucker in the bridge is prob something you'll want to keep though.

Amp: The best you can afford - really, if you test a load and get your favorate you will not regret it. Every time I plug into my good amp and the first note rings out it brings a moment of happyness into my life.

multi-effects: less important that either of the above, a pocket pod might do (though I've only played with the full size pod), a cheap seccond hand digitech rp from ebay might be good to keep you going. As with the amp though, you get what you pay for so don't feel bad about hanging off untill you can get something good.
Epi Valve Jr?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
How about a Schecter C1 or Damien with a Floyd Rose for the guitar? Worth trying out anyway. Or an ibanez will work well for a little less.

I'd agree with everybody else about the amp vs effects issue.
Spend a decent amount and get a good amp (Randall RG50TC ?), and then if you want a multi-effects, find a cheap used digitech on craigslist just to play with. Or pick a single effect and start your pedalboard!
Agreeing with everyone else, id say get a guitar with a trem. Its hard to find a Fender with a floyd, but shop around and you might find a HSS strat with a Floyd Rose.

As for an Amp, and effects, you should probably go for a line six. If you're only looking for a practice amp, then go with a Spider III 15 or 30, or the Valve 112 (which will probably get you through a gig). But if your looking for a gigging combo, get anything from the 75 Spider upwards, or the 212 valve. I think the half stack would be out of that range
The thing with line 6 is they use a lot of multi effects in theyre amps, so you getting two in 1 for your money
I play Bass and Guitar for Bitches. Bitches LOVE Bass and Guitar.

Quote by Simsimius
Epi Valve Jr?

that wouldnt do metal at all

Quote by Jimmyboba
Agreeing with everyone else, id say get a guitar with a trem. Its hard to find a Fender with a floyd, but shop around and you might find a HSS strat with a Floyd Rose.

As for an Amp, and effects, you should probably go for a line six. If you're only looking for a practice amp, then go with a Spider III 15 or 30, or the Valve 112 (which will probably get you through a gig). But if your looking for a gigging combo, get anything from the 75 Spider upwards, or the 212 valve. I think the half stack would be out of that range
The thing with line 6 is they use a lot of multi effects in theyre amps, so you getting two in 1 for your money

used F-30
Don't listen to Jimmyboba. Spiders suck all tone out of your guitar. Go with a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube if you want effects.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
i really reccomend you try a vox valvetronix with your strat it will work great
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Thanks for all the replies.
I decided to stick with the Ibanez.
Does anyone know any good models?
I'm still new to this so yeah. I don't know much about guitar models.
I'm also getting a Peavey Tube amp this year instead of a multi effects board.
Does anyone know if the Ibanez RG4EXFM1 or RG2EX1 is a good enough model for its price? Also, any tube amps that are around 300- 500 that are great?
well for that price you could get a fender pro junior, and you might have some money spare so I'd spend that on a distortion pedal and eq, but I don't think that would be advisable if you are into metal.
Ibanez do have great tone for metal though, so I would definetly choose one of those, as they can also handle rock and other music.

DO NOT get a Spider III amp though, it may look nice with the fx built in and the different settings, but the tone is AWFUL. I have one, so I know from experience, and I have heard my guitar teachers Ibanez RG prestige and signature Steve Vai Ibanez through one, it ruins the lovely tone of both guitars completely (i have lessons at a shop were the amps are provided, and I understand he wouldn't use of of these if he had a choice - you could tell from his voice when I said I had one hahahaha)
Furthermore the tone is very digital, and it is very hard to create the rich tones of other artists, because the clean is lifeless, the crunch and metal settings sound god awful if you've been playing on insane or clean with different EQ settings - you the then have to change all your bass, mid, treble etc. to find a satisfactory sound on the new tone setting. The effects also have very limted controls and in the long run you are much better getting fx pedals or a multi fx unit!

Fortunatly I've since tried an Orange TT combo, which sounds lovely but is sadly a little out of your price range
I would advise against the multi fx board for now... Maybe take the money from that and put it towards the amp? The amp will serve you far better in the long run!! then you can get an fx unit later.
Funny, I just bought an RG2EX1 to complement my LP(playing more shred)! Just thought I'd throw my personal experience in here-GREAT guitar for the money! I wanted a cheap axe with a neck and setup more forgiving for metal leads. But no trem....I don't ever use a tremolo personally, I think they make alternate tuning a pain...YMMV

I paid 300$US out the door for mine. I also have a les paul studio and love it dearly. Very different feel though...

As for amps, try a lot and listen to your ears more than other people ;-)
Quote by Mathamology
Surely, for metal, you'll want the 'bucker at the bridge?

Guitar wise, my suggestion would be to try a few out; there's a fair amount of playing difference between an LP and an Ibanez. Both will feel a lot different, so pick the one that feels right.

My advice would be to forget about the multi effects for now - you're gonna get a much better amp for $600. You're better off with a decent foundation than a pair of sub-standard pieces of equiptment.

This guy nailed it first I think. The HSS strat set up is actually perfect for you TS. If it plays well put a good metal/hard rock pup in the bridge position and call that a day. Focus on finding a good metal/rock amp used if you can. That will get you better equipment cheaper. The F-30 injected politely posted would be ideal but used they go for about $550-$700 depending on their condition, in the US at least. What is your nearest major city?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Definately get an Ibanez. Your on a point where u can still change what music you will play/like. Ibanez has a trem and is a good all around guitar for a GOOD price. LEs paul doesn't have a tremelo and will only show it's true love if you can play good, or in a blues rock style.

As far as an amp goes; I'm not quite sure.

And the fx pedal won't cost 500 bucks. You better spend moeny on a good tube amp combo 50 watts or less will be good enough.

There is a Limited Edition Les Paul that has a tremolo, but I forgot which one it is. Maybe mohogany?