hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite a while now.

and I've been recruited to teach underprivileged orphans guitar.

So today was the first and taught chromatic scales, and played the solo for Beast and The Harlot by A7X to show how awesome chromatics could be, but i mainly told them to do chromatic scale to just get them started.

They're only like 12 years old.

What do you think? Did i do the right thing?

What should i do next?
Last edited by chriskhng at Oct 29, 2008,
forget scales for now. Just load them with finger and positioning excercises. scales come after
Quote by chriskhng
hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite a while now.

and I've been recruited to teach underprivileged orphans guitar.

So today was the first and taught chromatic scales, and played the solo for Beast and The Harlot by A7X to show how awesome chromatics could be, but i mainly told them to do chromatic scale to just get them started.

They're only like 12 years old.

What do you think? Did i do the right thing?

What should i do next?

you should have taught them chords, finger and strumming excercises and stuff... dont worry about scales until a little later on ...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
open chords to start off maybe?
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
i 'm not teaching them scales, the notes are all a half step up

EDIT:

e{ 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1}

then repeat on other strings
Last edited by chriskhng at Oct 29, 2008,
If I were you, I would just be teaching them SIMPLE songs, like (one-string) smoke on the water, or twinkle twinkle. That way, they can have a little more interest since they are playing an actual song instead of a scale.
when i was first taught, I thought those twinkle twinkle little star were very lame, it was as if the guy was belittling me
teach them Floods solo by dimebag, it can be a "make it or break it" exercise
It's all about feel
Quote by chriskhng
when i was first taught, I thought those twinkle twinkle little star were very lame, it was as if the guy was belittling me

Well he wasn't - you have to start at the beginning when you're learning a musical instrument.

Teach them some chords, they'll appreciate being able to get something nic-sounding out of the instrument...chromatics will be boring and uninspiring for a 12 year old. They're only kids, get them playing some songs as quickly as possible, don't drill them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
they can't even finger A5

They're kinda weak and skinny, so their thier fingers are kinda weak too

Well, what i think is that if you can't even finger a single note, how can you finger a chord? Am i right?

and besides, when i started i just played power chord for a month of two, then i progress into full chords. Is this kinda strange?
Quote by chriskhng
they can't even finger A5

They're kinda weak and skinny, so their thier fingers are kinda weak too

Well, what i think is that if you can't even finger a single note, how can you finger a chord? Am i right?

and besides, when i started i just played power chord for a month of two, then i progress into full chords. Is this kinda strange?

It is to me - chords are the most logical place to start. Sure, you have to use a few fingers at once but in a song you often play the same chord for at least a bar, if not longer. Holding your fingers in the same place for a while is far easier than trying to play single note melody lines. Teach them the E, A and D chords and they'll be butchering Wild Thing within a week.

Likewise with powerchords, there's no point learning them specifically because they're just part of a full chord, so when you learn a chord you actually learn its powerchord variant at the same time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah, cool.

thanks man.

people with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

I'll teach them C G Am F and maybe add a few chords per lesson and maybe move on to barre chords after a while.