Worth buying? It's a discontinued analog chorus. I want a real creamy smooth 80s like chorus. Apparently a guy is selling it for $35, claiming it works perfectly. It's obviously old and has a few scratches, but that's unimportant. I want something that will not die during a gig though.

Besides that, how do they sound?

I also asked him if it has any scratchy pots, and if it happens to have a green label(MIJ) on the back.
Last edited by injected at Oct 29, 2008,
They sound pretty nice, it's an offspring of the Roland Ce-1, and that is win. Try it first.

I'm quite partial to the Ce-2 myself.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I thought the only difference between the ce2 was the stereo option and an extra knob?

And if its anything like the chorus on a Roland Jazz Chorus, that is pretty much EXACTLY the sound i'm looking for.
Quote by injected
I thought the only difference between the ce2 was the stereo option and an extra knob?

And if its anything like the chorus on a Roland Jazz Chorus, that is pretty much EXACTLY the sound i'm looking for.

I think so. O_o

It should do that sort of sound, yeah.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I bought it, this little guy is AMAZING. I get that awesome Roland jazz chorus sound.

Unfortunately thats really where the buck stops, its not near as versatile as say, an MXR chorus. But for $35 it was a damn steal, they go on eBay for at least $60.

It's a little old and beat up(obviously, straight out of the 80s) but I love the sound i'm getting out of it. I hate regular clean sound, this thing really makes the sound "wetter" and i feel when i play, i get this WHOOOSH pulsing sound.

I also opened the battery compartment, it has the BOSS logo. But then it has a sticker on it that says "Produc****-Roland

I guess it means "product of Roland" The R was slightly cut off too. Pretty neat that this was actually produced by roland..
Boss is Roland.

If you've got a CE-5, any chance you could do a side-by-side comparison recording?
Huh, I didn't realize that.

Don't have a CE-5, this is actually *my first* chorus pedal. In fact, it's my first "real" pedal.. I've owned a digital multieffects from day one and it has not served me any justice.. feels nice to have a real one, an analog one at that!

Oh and another question for those who are knowledgeable about this:

it's a black label and not a green label..

I stumbled on a website that says Green label can either be MIJ or taiwan, japan being better. It also showed a black label as being MIJ. It has Japanese writing on the back, not chinese.

I only found one source of this information so I was hoping someone could shed some info? thanks
I think there is a youtube video comparing the two. I'd also check out the CE-2 or the CE-1 which is just the chorus circuit of the JC.

oops i forgot: I have also tried the CE-3 which was pretty good but i found that it had more of a "metallic" type of sound to it. just my opinion.
Last edited by Muramasa at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by Muramasa
I think there is a youtube video comparing the two. I'd also check out the CE-2 or the CE-1 which is just the chorus circuit of the JC.

oops i forgot: I have also tried the CE-3 which was pretty good but i found that it had more of a "metallic" type of sound to it. just my opinion.

I also read that review too(i'm guessing you got it from guitargeek)

They were 2 separate reviews by different people.. they obviously varied. The CE-2 and CE-3 are the exact same except for a stereo option.. the guy just didnt like the roland chorus sound at all
Ya i tried it at musicgoround and i agree that they sounded different. I'm about to lookup the circuit board and components here in a sec cuz that might be the difference i heard
here is something i found on another site

guitar_paul1April 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I've got 3 ce-3's and two ce-2's. One of the ce-3's arrived with a hole drilled in the top so it became an experimental subject. On analyzing the circuit differences between 2 and 3, I discovered the tone difference between the two is one resistor in the input circuit, which determined the "input impedance". The ce2 is lower, yielding a warmer tone (because more of the highs stay trapped in the pickup).
The rest of the differences are downstream from the tone determining part of the circuit. So I modified the already hacked ce3 into a ce2 and got the advantages of both pedals. I also cranked the internal gain (just one more resistor, again) so it is a tiny bit gainier.
Just interesting points, kind of off topic.
-paul

I think that I really didn't mess enough with the mode knob because they're closer in sound than I remember.
Interesting. Never tried a CE-2, only a JC. I think the CE-3 sounds just like it and thats all that really matters to me. I can see why another would be warmer though - this one sounds very chimey and ringy, so to speak. I like that. I can just switch to the neck pickup and add some mids and lows if i want to make it warmer..

I tried a Chorus ensemble at guitar center and it was too modern for my taste.. i'm happier with the ce3

and I found out its MIJ.. woo

I just wish there was a way to take the damn velcro off of the bottom without disturbing the sticker..