A couple months ago, I had my guitar setup in drop c. It's played great, but i really wanna learn some pantera solos and a lot of songs in drop d. So i'm gonna set it up myself this time in drop d. I play .10-.52 strings btw.

My question is, I know the intonation will probably be off when i change the tuning, and i can change that, but will it mess up my neck and require truss rod adjustment?
I'm not horribly picky for now as long as i can get decent intonation and don't have an excess of fret buzz.

Thanx.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
...well just turn the tuning knobs till you get drop d. do you have a fixed bridge or a floyd rose type tremelo?
it depends what kind of bridge you have, and Dime didnt play in drop d that much. He played in standard and down a full step more than anything.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
you're probably fine, it has only been a couple months. you might want to check your string gauge though (52 seems quite heavy). if you're really anal about intonation, set up your guitar (i you don't know how to do it let a pro do it).

also, the degree of intonation deviation might depend on what kind of guitar you have, neck, etc.
It's all about feel
Quote by leony03
...well just turn the tuning knobs till you get drop d. do you have a fixed bridge or a floyd rose type tremelo?

lol i know that, i have a fixed bridge, tonepros to be exact. my question isnt how to tune down dude. the question is will it cuz major setup problems.

and i know dimebag played in standard and D standard a lot. but there are a lot of other bands stuff i wanna learn in drop d too.

you're probably fine, it has only been a couple months. you might want to check your string gauge though (52 seems quite heavy). if you're really anal about intonation, set up your guitar (i you don't know how to do it let a pro do it).

also, the degree of intonation deviation might depend on what kind of guitar you have, neck, etc.

.52 is fine for me, i've played that gauge in standard with no problem, it's way too floppy in drop c for me though. drop d should be just right with that gauge. I've adjusted my intonation with no problems before, it's just the truss rod scares me

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
if it scares you, get a cheap guitar and play around with it, untill you can feel what it does and how it works, and then you won't be scared when you adjust your real guitar
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
if it scares you, get a cheap guitar and play around with it, untill you can feel what it does and how it works, and then you won't be scared when you adjust your real guitar

well i already have a horribly bad squier packed away some where, ill mess around with that. good idea

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
just play the songs in d standard
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
You don't use the low E too much anyway if you are going for the solos.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Capo the 2nd fret to make it Drop-D, then you can pick between Drop-C & Drop-D
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by valdean

Exactly. LOL apparently people don't understand that there are other bands im gonna play than pantera. if i was just gonna play pantera i would tune in standard or D standard.

I'm gonna put in drop d, i know what i wanna play. my question was if it would require serious truss rod adjustment afterwards.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
It shoudln't require any adjusting unless you're really nit picky about how the strings feel in relation to the action and stuff. If your low E string has a ton of buzz and there is no sustain then I would turn the truss rod in the opposite direction 1/4 turn.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
It shoudln't require any adjusting unless you're really nit picky about how the strings feel in relation to the action and stuff. If your low E string has a ton of buzz and there is no sustain then I would turn the truss rod in the opposite direction 1/4 turn.

Thanks for the help, will do!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by valdean

99% of the time, the guys that say that only know the pentatonic scale in the key of E, transposing it to D and adjusting to the 6th string being pushed 2 frets back throws them off too much.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Recommended threads
me
Eastwinn
Last post:
by i_lovemetallica
Fancy dress.