I just bought a 270 watt old peavey mark IV bass head and cab. I got them both for practically nothing although I know the cab (peavey 2 x 15) does not have very good low end. Any of you ever tried one of the beringers 4 x 12's?
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by dannyniceboy
I just bought a 270 watt old peavey mark IV bass head and cab. I got them both for practically nothing although I know the cab (peavey 2 x 15) does not have very good low end. Any of you ever tried one of the beringers 4 x 12's?

a 2x15 cab should have massive low-end. when i played through a Mark IV head, i used a Peavey 1810 cab (1x18, 2x10). it was very effective. i would balance that cab
with a 2x10 cab.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
a 2x15 cab should have massive low-end. when i played through a Mark IV head, i used a Peavey 1810 cab (1x18, 2x10). it was very effective. i would balance that cab
with a 2x10 cab.

I have a feeling the speakers are blown, the cab is a closed one so i havent actually had time to take it apart but I am ninety percent sure of it thats why I figure itd be cheaper just to pick up one of the behringer amps. I don't need great tone just loudness
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

Quote by dannyniceboy
I have a feeling the speakers are blown, the cab is a closed one so i havent actually had time to take it apart but I am ninety percent sure of it thats why I figure itd be cheaper just to pick up one of the behringer amps. I don't need great tone just loudness

it'll be blown soon though. Stride Gum is longer lasting than Behringer Amplifers.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by dannyniceboy

you can have those speakers re-coned for about $40 each. fyi
those speakers probably load in and out, from the front.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you can have those speakers re-coned for about $40 each. fyi
those speakers probably load in and out, from the front.

The cab is ancient and I don;t know if it is worth it. The head itself is from the early eighties. I imagine cheap recent stuff has to be slightly better quality then cheap 80's stuff.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Quote by dannyniceboy
The cab is ancient and I don;t know if it is worth it. The head itself is from the early eighties. I imagine cheap recent stuff has to be slightly better quality then cheap 80's stuff.

the Peavey Mark IV is built like a brick. older equipt. is usually better than the "new" stuff. what model of cab do you have?
Dude, old Peavey stuff is what the cockroach people will be playing on after the nuclear holocaust kills us all. It's some of the most durable stuff ever built.
Nope, no sig here.
Old Peavey with a battered 215 cab is gonna sound better than an old Peavey with a crappy Behringer 412. And hell, the 215 should have more low end.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Like everybody else has said, old Peavey stuff is awesome. Im playing through an old Peavey TKO 115s. It is infact built like a tank. That thing has seen hell, and still sounds wonderful. I'd probably just get those speakers fixed if you just want low end. Or just invest in a decent 15 cab, then get a 2x10 to go with it.
If you can get one secondhand, Bergantino is the way to go. My HT210 is quite possibly the best 2x10 on the planet and combined with my Peavey Tour 450 sounds beautiful.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!