Hi there everyone . I'm about to purchase a basswood bodied guitar with three pickup slots. My question is, for the middle position what would be the best single-coil pickup that would help produce a tone similar to that of The Pillows ? Also could you tell me if I should use the bridge, neck, or middle version of that pickup ?

Thanks
What kind of amp are you using? The amp is a great deal more important than the pickups.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
What kind of amp are you using? The amp is a great deal more important than the pickups.

He asked for pickup suggestions, not amps.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
^You're point? If his amp is shit then there is no point in upgrading the pickups.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^You're point? If his amp is shit then there is no point in upgrading the pickups.

How do we know his amp is shit? No where in his opening post did he say "recommend me an amp". In fact, no where in his entire post said "amp". He is merely looking for pickups. A good amp is far more important, yes, but that is not what he wants suggestions for.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that the amp was of a quality that would take advantage of the new pickup. But anyways, could we get back to my question ? Again, I apologize for my lack of information at the beginning of my post.
^Well, what's the model of the amp?

Also, why are you already in a hurry to buy new pickups if you haven't even bought the guitar yet? How do you know what is lacking about the tone already?

Quote by Pauldapro
How do we know his amp is shit? No where in his opening post did he say "recommend me an amp". In fact, no where in his entire post said "amp". He is merely looking for pickups. A good amp is far more important, yes, but that is not what he wants suggestions for.

Why would we suggest stuff for him if he doesn't have a good amp? It wouldn't make a significant difference, not as much he might think it does.

And Kevin never said his amp was shit. He wanted to know if it was. There's a difference...
^Exactly, and even if the amp is great, it's still helpful to know what kind it is. If the amp is bright, you probably don't wanna recommend bright pups.
^
We don't REALLY need to know the model of the amp; different kinds might react differently to different guitars, but even if an amp doesn't gel well with single coils, a boutique strat will still sound better than a just average humbucker guitar.

But I agree with one point: Why would you try to fix a problem you don't even know exists? Wait until you've had the guitar for a while, and gotten to know its quirks and oddities, then consider a change if you deem it necesary.

Also, middle position isn't really that great; it's really just there to make positions 2 and 4 half decent. ._.
^I don't agree, I think an average humbucker guitar would sound better than a boutique strat for metal. I think a cheap strat would sound better than an top of the line esp with emgs for blues.