Hi All,

I’m looking 4 a bit of advice if anyone could help me or shed some light on this topic I would be most grateful.

I’ve been playing guitar now for approx 12 years now and I’ve been a member of different bands for a long while to.

I’m generally satisfied with my guitar set up but technically I’m not overly keen on the sound when I play Lead guitar.

General Set up

My Amplification

JCM 602 Marshall combo amp ( 2 channel amp Clean/Overdirve)

Effects Pedals

Jim Dunlop Wah Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer Overdrive pedal
Boss DD5 Delay
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Boss OS-2 Overdirve/Distortion (hardly used)
Channel Switch for the Amp

My general set up;
• For clean sounding rhythm guitar I use the Clean channel on the Amp.
• For crunch sounding rhythm guitar I use the Clean channel on the Amp with the Ibanez Tubescreamer Overdrive on.
• For My lead sound (boost volume channel) I switch onto the Overdrive channel on the amp along with the Ibanez Tubescreamer with the gain on the amplification quite low but the volume higher than that on the clean channel, giving me a higher volume channel for lead.

As I previously stated I’m not overly keen on the Lead sound that I produce, It’s to fuzz sounding and not clean enough in the sense it doesn’t come through cleanly due to the fuzziness. For example if I add delay on top of the lead it’s a big mosh sounding basically due to the two overdrives over riding each other and its not clean enough sounding.

I have tried some booster pedal i.e to boost the volume of my crunch to give me a cleaner lead sound (reduce the fuzziness). I’ve tried such pedals as the Blackstar Boost but still it projects some overdrive still giving a fuzziness sounding.

If anyone could suggest a method of perfecting my lead sound in getting it cleaner projective sounding in any way maybe a decent Booster pedal with minimal fuzz creation.... I would be most grateful. (But obviously I don’t want a clean clean sound I just want too basically boost my crunch rhythm guitar volume without creating that fuzziness!!!!)

Kind Regards
Do u tHiNk It May Be Just To MuCh Overdrive In One SIgnal??
Youve Got That LIttle BiT Of GaIn COmINg FrOM The Amp,
But Once U Add That TubE ScReaMer, Your PiCkups May SImple NoT Be Hot Enough
To Withstand Such A High OUtPut Signal..
It COuld JusT Be Your Amp..
So
So far It COuld Be
-TO much Output/Gain (POssably buy some high output pickups)
-Maybe Change Selection On Amps(Mess WIth Eq a BiT see if it
solves The Problem..)

Question:
-What guitar Do u use?
-WHat Strings Do u use?
-What Pickups Are In There??
-DO u have Decent Fretboard Technique?(Meaning naturally you mute unwanted string noise when playing a variaty of notes keeping it as Legato as possible)
The Guitar I use is a Gibson Les paul standard

Using my current set up of pedals Ive tried a lot of things out in order to achieve a better sound, so here where I'm at, at the moment to get the best sound for my lead channel.

Generally I have my TS9 with the drive/gain roughly halfway and the level (of output effectively) approx 2/3 to 3/4 of the way on the pedal - which gives me a warm crunch sound.

Then on the amp the gain of my Lead channel is 1/4 the way whilst the volume is approx 3/4.

For some reason or other this particular amp i've got doesnt give to much of a crunchy sound anyway even if i was do take the gain up a lot higher.

But the little amount of gain which it is set on the amp (lead channel) it still causes this fuzzy/mosh sounding lead channel for me.

I think, the only true way in which Im going to achieve this 'perfect' sounding lead channel is to maybe have second amplifier which has its clean channel volume set higher than that of my 1st original amp which i use for the rhythm guitar part, so ill have to use a line selector pedal to switch between both amps.

But obviously this is goin to be the more expensive route!!!!............ with the Credit Crunch and all that!!!

Thats why ive tried these booster pedals recently such as the Blaskstar Booster to boost the volume but they still projects this fuzziness!!! Im just wondering If anyone has a solution to my problem, and what set up do others have!?!?!?
Last edited by ger_wms at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by NemesisxLead
Do u tHiNk It May Be Just To MuCh Overdrive In One SIgnal??
Youve Got That LIttle BiT Of GaIn COmINg FrOM The Amp,
It COuld JusT Be Your Amp..
So
So far It COuld Be
-TO much Output/Gain (POssably buy some high output pickups)
-Maybe Change Selection On Amps(Mess WIth Eq a BiT see if it
solves The Problem..)

Question:
-What guitar Do u use?
-WHat Strings Do u use?
-What Pickups Are In There??
-DO u have Decent Fretboard Technique?(Meaning naturally you mute unwanted string noise when playing a variaty of notes keeping it as Legato as possible)

l2: type. This hurts my eyes.

How would strings and how he plays affect the fuzziness he's getting? It's the tone, not the playing, and certainly not the strings.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Id say, keep your rhythm sound if you like it, and for lead, put a tubescreamer on. They don't tend to have the fuzzy sound you're experiencing. Also, an EQ always helps (i had the same problem on an older amp).
But as i said, id just use a tubescreamer to boost on leads...
Quote by vitchb
Id say, keep your rhythm sound if you like it, and for lead, put a tubescreamer on. They don't tend to have the fuzzy sound you're experiencing. Also, an EQ always helps (i had the same problem on an older amp).

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with what your suggesting is that my rhythm is just going to be clean sound when i tend to use a more crunchy sound hence i have the tubescreamer on, and Im really happy with the sound. Basically what i want from my lead channel is to boost the volume of my rhythm crunch sound of the tubescreamer so that it will break through the other guitarists crunch rhythm sound.
Quote by vitchb

Yeah, i think you should use the drive channel for rhythms though, then use a Tubescreamer with Level dimed and Gain as low as possible to boost it for solos.

Try it out. I'd tell you to boost your mids, but I doubt that's the problem.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Yeah, i think you should use the drive channel for rhythms though, then use a Tubescreamer with Level dimed and Gain as low as possible to boost it for solos.

Try it out. I'd tell you to boost your mids, but I doubt that's the problem.

i would go with this. if the tube screamer doesn't give you a good enough volume boost, there are plenty of pedals out there (MXR micro amp for ex.) that can go into your effects loop to give you a volume boost. Does your amp have an effects loop?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
My Sound Is Mainly Driven Though Pure Amp Tone..
I Use

-Krank Rev
-Line6 Spider III 75
-BOngar UberShall

My Guitars:
-Epiphone SG With 81/85 emgs
-Schecter Devil Custom

The power of the Emg's Always Cut Through IN my lead PLaying,
And The Kranks Two channel Deal Is Perfect..
I Have a Master For My Rhythm And A Second Master
For My Leads.. BUt THis SImply Just Works For Me.
My Leads Tend To Have More Mid's and a nice little Delay..
And It Just Sings.. Clear beautiful CLean But With Tones Of Distortion.
But thats my setup. COming from Stright POwer.

Im looking Up Some Pedals Now to Recommend,
A Pedal Will Prob Fix Everything..
But U Have Tryed A Lot..
hmmm

Have U Ever Messed with a boss Equalizer?
Its Got everything to shapen your Sound dead On..
ALso Featuring a Volume Controll For That Boost You wanted..

Just Setup the EQ for the lead, along with the appropriate volume.
Then When the leads come, Stomp and Sing..
Check It Out
Last edited by NemesisxLead at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
...so, neck pickup, yay or nay?

If you're looking for a smooth lead tone like Slash's, this will help....

That's true, but surely if he's already getting a fuzzy undefined tone, the neck pickup is going to just increase the muddiness?

How have you got the EQs set? Make sure you've got plenty of mids and highs dialled in, presence too if your amp has it, and roll off some bass if the low-end is muddy.

Have you tried using the drive channel for your crunch sound, then adding the tubescreamer to boost for leads? That'd be the way I'd approach it.
Last edited by Nolly at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by NemesisxLead

That makes no sense

Quote by NemesisxLead
My Setup Is Mainly Run Though Pure Amp Tone..
I Use

I hope you're a troll. If not, you're pretty woefully misguided.
Last edited by Nolly at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by NemesisxLead
Is That all u can Do, Is **** With my typos And Grammer Errors..
Lol
**** OFF!!
IM in a Hurry ******, Just giving Some Advise.
I dont stay at Home all Day Typing Shit.
Just To Check My SHit.
So **** You, your PLaying, And **** The Name Nolly.
I mean, Pretty homo?

YEs!! Is the answer.
lol just chill

I didnt **** with your shit

Hypocrite.

And you fucked with his shit. You fucked with his shit big time.

*reported*
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
The problem's the amp. I have the exact same amp, and the speakers aren't amazing, and there's very little focus really.

I've tried pretty much everything with it.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
The problem's the amp. I have the exact same amp, and the speakers aren't amazing, and there's very little focus really.

I've tried pretty much everything with it.

What speakers are in the amp?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Id also mention that merely adding volume probably isnt all you'll want to do when boosting for leads. You want a boost of higher frequencies and mids too, a good way to do so is have your crunch sound as normal then use an eq pedal (adjusted to cut through the mix) with the volume fader raised as well. Stomp on that for leads, should work well...
Quote by vitchb
Id also mention that merely adding volume probably isnt all you'll want to do when boosting for leads. You want a boost of higher frequencies and mids too, a good way to do so is have your crunch sound as normal then use an eq pedal (adjusted to cut through the mix) with the volume fader raised as well. Stomp on that for leads, should work well...

Very true, but then again, that's exactly what the tubescreamer was designed to do.
Yeah, the Tubescreamer should get rid of the fuzzyness.

I get a lead tone out of running my LPB-1 through my amp's drive, and I'd get a fuzzy tone with my master volume really low.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
What speakers are in the amp?

Celestion heritage g12 ... or so they say on the back. I've tried it hooked up to all sorts of cabs with greenbacks, alnico blues, vintage 30s etc, and the amp's voicing is the problem. That's why I'm in the process of selling it to buy a (rather un-fizzy) Cornford Roadhouse.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.