Page 1 of 4
Every year at the studio, the new and returning students fill out a survey. This year the questions for returning students was interesting enough I thought it would make a fun thread for everyone to ponder. So here we go:

1. Name one bassist who’s influenced your playing. Which bassist is closest to your personality?

2. Which musician (not a bassist) influences/ed how you approach playing bass?

3. What was the first CD/LP/Mp3 download you ever owned (and be honest)?

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why?

5. Name one person who supports your musical aspirations and how they support you.

1. I have a great deal of Bruce Thomas (The Attractions) in my playing. It’s that Motown/Stax, Duck Dunn meets alternative bent that is a heavy influence on my style. Personality wise, as much as I’d like to be out there Claypool, I’m more of a Tina Weymouth/Colin Greenwood type, slightly bookish intellectual but approachable and fun at parties.

2. I had to think about this one a bit to narrow it down to one person. But I’d have to say Lou Reed. There is a melancholy, dark anger that comes through in his songs and guitar work that I see in my own playing. Someone once remarked that my bass playing wasn’t bright and bouncy as a rule, and I think listening to the Velvet Underground and Transformer has had a definite impact on my playing.

3. Oh lol, “The Jackson 5’s greatest hits”. It was an LP with a framed picture of the Jackson 5 on it that you could pop the picture out the “frame” to hang as a poster. I think I actually may still have the original record somewhere, without the photo.

4. Another hard decision. I think it would be Les Claypool’s Frog Brigades take on Pink Floyd’s Animals—“Live Frogs II” . Animals is easily my favourite Pink Floyd album and Les’ interpretation is interesting. I’d love a week with a bass and that CD, and really analyze how it’s different from the original. Plus, “Sheep” is one of my favourite long prog jams.

5. Mr. Tam hands down. No question. If he wasn’t so supportive, I’d never have gotten as far on bass as I have. Thanks to him I have always have a jam partner, a drummer, a supportive audience for any gig and time to practice and play. Plus he bought me my first bass.

Edited: 1/2/2010
1. Name one bassist who’s influenced your playing. Which bassist is closest to your personality?
John Myung

2. Which musician (not a bassist) influences/ed how you approach playing bass?petrucci?

weird al yankovic - running with scissors (seriously)

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why?six degrees of inner turbulence, is a long cd and never get's boring.

5. Name one person who supports your musical aspirations and how they support you.

father... brings me to bandstuff etc.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Oct 29, 2008,

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why?

Answers.

1. Duff Mckagan, I would love to be able to lay down such badass lines and just keep the flow and rhythm of a song as good as he does. He's a great player for fills and has amazing tone. He's also a very cool (and when I met him) nice guy who isn't affected by fame.

2. Jon Bon Jovi, I want everything I do musically to be as good as the kind of things he can do, he's a great song writer (for music and lyrics) and a generally smart man which is what I aspire to be.

3. The Black Eyed Peas first album ... I wasn't that into music at the time and I got this for Christmas one year, I liked it for a while but then I discovered a love for rock and (when I picked up the bass) funk.

4. Tough one, probably: Bon Jovi - Greatest Hits, alot of great uplifting tunes on there and I could never get bored of it.

5. My Dad because he buys me lots of equipment and never complains that i'm playing too loud, he generally tries to help me because he loves Bass himself.
1. I'm going to say Mic Todd of Coheed- the kind of guy that'll do what's needed, but completely kick it up when needs be and use a multitude of different techniques. He also seems to be quite a quiet guy offstage, which fits me pretty much. That's the "band" me, anyway.

2. Adam Duritz of Counting Crows. Even though he's a vocalist, his vocal style put the idea of odd phrasings into my head. Sometimes I'll bring something to practice, and the others will say that it's just too free and weird

3. Chocolate Salty Balls by Chef. As a cassette single. When my mum wasn't looking and I had a bit of pocket money That was the first I myself bought anyways. I was given Clapton and even Tool before that.

4. EITHER Pearl Jam's rearviewmirror, or Riot Act. RVM has more songs, so I wouldn't get bored as easy, and Riot Act has Love Boat Captain, Save You and I Am Mine. End of

5. Dad. Mum was never really too interested, but my old man would always ask me how it's going and stuff. Little things like that make me feel better about my music.
I know it's corny, but Jaco has definitely had an influence on me. Not necessarily on how I play the bass, I don't play like him, but definitely how I approach and look at the instrument. He definitely opened my mind to the possibilities of the instrument. As far as personality goes, I really don't know any bassist who would have a similar personality. Maybe Steve Bailey just because he's so laid back.

I definitely take a lot of my approach of writing music in general from Vivaldi. That way he tells a story with every note is something I really want to achieve. Again, he hasn't really affected my playing per se, but definitely my outlook on music and bass has been altered.

Weird Al Yankovic's UHF CD was probably MY first CD. I'd listened to others,b ut that was the first for me.

Beethoven's Piano Sonata numbers 8 and 14 all three movements of each. Absolute bliss.

My teacher has definitely been hat person. My parents really don't believe in this whole music thing for a future, but my teacher definitely pushes me towards that. He also teaches me what I want to learn, so that I play the Zach Bales method of bass, not any other musician.

Wow, good thread and very revealing.
ol Chris Wolstenholme. all that fuzzy variety fits with me and my somewhat fickle nature. and, I like fuzz. it's perfect.
Tom Morello. much of my early experimental playing is pure solid riffing with crazy noises thrown in. all taken from ol Tom.
errrm... N'Sync...
Disraeli Gears by Cream. the pure win of that disc will make life cool. the I would find a great irony if it was Sailing the Seas of Cheese...
Matt Rozzi. that dude is the easiest guitarist to use ever. he's like a machine. and he buys you lunch too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
1. Jason Newsted, first bassist I remember seeing playing with a pick, which made me want to learn to do it too, and I'm glad I did. I guess I took in a lot of his style while learning his music too.

2. Eric Clapton. I remember first time I heard him play I thought about timing, cause he had great timing. I always worked hard at getting my music sounding as close as I could to how I heard it in my head.

3. Good Burger Soundtrack. The movie was popular and I saw it at Wal-Mart. The rest is history.

4. Any Sublime CD.

5. My parents. They bought me my first guitar (Ibanez TR Bass) and I've never stopped playing.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
I saw a bumper sticker in a guitar store that read
"Like all musicians, Your Following the Bassist"
I lol'd

Quote by muhat gandy
It was a weird feeling cumming to someone being ripped apart...
1. Prolly John Maggard (Unearth). Seems to be the closest to how I play. Personality wise as well. Hes the one thatll think everything through before someone does something stupid, like me.

2. Damn... Not sure... Really any guitarist that plays metal melodically.

3. Since you said be honest, Limp Biscut (sp?)- Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water... Not to proud of that...

4. I guess the first disk of Anthrax Greatest Hits. Doubt Id get sick of that.

5. I guess my friend Jeremy. Weve been trying to get a band started together since I got my bass and we play off each other quite well.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Oct 29, 2008,
1- The first bassist that I ever heard/knew of was Geezer Butler. He made me want to pick up bass just because it sounded so unconventional to me and was just different sounding from the guitar.

2- Sting, just because of his somgwriting ability. He is a bassist too. But he showed me how bass could be used in a singer/songwritter format.

3- My older brother's 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll" cassette tape, from Black Sabbath. The first album I ever listened to.

4-"Strangers in the Night" by UFO. I could listen to that album every day and not tire of it. It's just that amazing. Herr Schenker is the professor.

5- No one really. Infact my parents tried to stop me from playing music several times. They hate music. Now it's my profession.

Michael Manring, after hearing him, I was really amazed.
I don't play like him, but he definitely opened my eyes.

KT Tunstall, she's the reason why I've got a loop pedal now. And I absolutely love my loop pedal

Iron maiden - the best of the beast

Ani Difranco's Red Letter Year. It's simply one of the best cd's I own.
Or Urban Hymns by the Verve, wich is also a superb CD

A friend of mine, since he introduced me to some people who were missing a bass player
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!

One bassist who influenced me is Eric Avery.

Closest to my personality? idk. My personalities very moody. I'm either in love with everything or I want to destroy it all. Say I'm half Flea and half... idk. Captain Beefheart's bassist? idk. lol

Frank Zappa and Dave Grohl. Frank Zappa said smething like its music... find out the range for each instrument, and start writing. Dave Grohl said I made music long before someone started to listen, and I'll keep making music long after they all stop listening. And that's how I approach bass; its not about technique or anything in particular... its about making music.

First CD I ever owned was the Godzilla soundtrack then Now 1, then Eminem's first CD. Boy, people change. ish.

Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Because its my favorite and I never get tired of it. It makes me happy.

Tom Hicks, my guitarist; he's the only person I feel I can talk about any aspect of music making with without feeling pressure to go a certain way with it, with support but still criticism, and with the ability of a separate creative input.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!

I would have to say Geddy Lee.

Alex Lifeson just because the guy can make the most simple things just sound amazing.

I think the first CD I ever bought myself was the Marshall Marthers LP, way back in the day.

I would definetly go with Rush's Caress Of Steel.

My dad for sure. He is always giving me new bands to check out that have prominant bass players. He is the one who bought me my first bass aswell. Also the one who made me stick with the bass when I was going to quit a good number of years ago. Man do I ever thank god I didn't quit playing bass.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Arif Mirabdolbaghi
I don't know about personality wise. I guess I also enjoy his somewhat intellectualism

I'm guessing you mean a like signed person?
If not, my brother and a friend named Elijah because they have introduced me to more bands than I can think of.
If it has to be, hmm. That's hard
I honestly cannot choose one.

Green Day: International Superhits!

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
It is the best album.

One? ugh. TWO
mum: she thinks I'm great, hah.
broseph: he is a musician and appreciates another prospective on music
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I would probably say john entwistle.
He has a bit more of a lead approach than rhythmic, and during jams and stuff like that I like to play like that. Also, He was solid as a rock on stage, Im pretty much like that.

Hmm, this is a tough one, I would probably say someone like Herbie Hancock in his earlier days.
When they just jammed on real simple grooves but it just sounded so Damn tight.

The first CD single I bought was The gorillaz - 19/2000.
The first album was Limp Bizkit - Chocolate starfish. (Although I hate Fred Dirst, I still think its a good album.)
The first LP I owned was Led Zeppelin II.
And the first Download I got was a Herbie Hancock song. Think it was Canteloupe Island.

This is a good question.
I think I would probably pick 10000 Days by Tool.
Just because at the moment I really Like that album.

My Dad.
He just supports me anyway he can, He has always supported my decisions like no matter how obscure.
1. Name one bassist who’s influenced your playing. Which bassist is closest to your personality? Jaco probably influenced my playing the most although my personality would be close to

2. Which musician (not a bassist) influences/ed how you approach playing bass? Jimi Hendrix is probably the most influential. The way his guitar ,and his music in general, can just take you to a different place is an incedible experience. Also the way he took modern four bar blues and added so much more life to it is really inspiring.

I can't really remember which was the first but I think it was either Calling All Stations - Genesis or Killer - Alice Cooper

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why?My desert island disk would probably be London Calling by The Clash simply because its one of my favorite albums.

5. Name one person who supports your musical aspirations and how they support you.My close friends are very encouraging along with my co-workers oddly enough.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
1. Paul Simonon is someone who's influenced me a great deal, I always love his playing and the notes he chooses. for bassist closest to my personality I don't know.

2. Definitely Pete Townsend, his way of playing guitar really grabs me and makes me listen.

3. I had a Robbie Williams tape that I won in a quiz

4. Weezers debut album, although on a desert album it would proably send me nuts having listened to it so many times.

5. My friends I guess, always people I can talk too about music and are willing to listen to me play.

While I'm not good enough to play like ANY bassist out there yet, the ones whom I love to listen to the most are certainly Flea and John Myung. Personality-wise I would definitely say I'm more of a Myung.

Dave Grohl, no second-guess necessary.

I believe it was Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You

I guess it would have to be one of my favorite bands so I don't get sick of it. Let's go with Aerosmith - Devil's Got a New Disguise

My best bud that I've known for 9 years. He encouraged me to take up a musical instrument, and praised me when I picked the bass. He is a guitar player himself, and is constantly encouraging me to try new riffs and to play along with him.
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel

Mic Todd from Coheed and Cambria really makes me want to become better. I'm trying my hardest to get a grip on the Circle of 5ths because he's known for using that as an approach for basslines. Everytime I hear 'Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness' I really appreciate his work.

I'm a really flexible person, though I can be a bit stressed. I dont know who I'm like compared to a bassist.

It's a toss up! Dave Grohl or Josh Homme.

The Presidents of the United States of America's Self Titled album, and I still have it! It's a gem to me!

The album that first came to me was Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age because its a truely rocking album.

My sister is really accepting on anything musically I put my effort into. She'll give very good criticism even at the cost of telling the truth which I love. I aprpeciate her a ton!
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
1. I have to say that Phil lynott got me into bass, but its people like timmy C and john paul jones who kept me going and inspired. Im quite a people person and get along woth people so im just going to hope that they are like that. Al so Calypool showed me a different side to bass.

2. Tom merello for some reason. Also my first trumpet teacher he really inspired me with music and kept coming up with new things.

3. Well the first album was probably brass bands followed quikly by black eyed peas elefunk. And the darkeness single I believe in a thing called love. When i was young i never really bought cd's.

4. Hmm well Rage against the machine self titled album. I just never get bored of listening to it.

5. My sister. She was always into music and was always introducing me to new genres and she played the drums which really helped my rythm.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
1. Name one bassist who’s influenced your playing. Which bassist is closest to your personality? Influence-wise, Im gonna say Mic Todd from Coheed and Cambria, or Chris #2 from Anti-Flag. I only have one album of theirs, but Chris does a great job of adding something interesting to the songs, and he plays some really cool lines. Along with Flea and Marcus Miller, Mic and Chris are influences on sound as well as playing style.

Not too sure on this one.
Im not sure. I was given For Blood and Empire by Anti-Flag, but I might have bought International Superhits from Green Day before that.
For a week, Id say Downtown Battle Mountain by Dance Gavin Dance, or perhaps Wires and the Concept of Breathing by A Skylit Drive. Both have excellent songs, excellent vocals, and, in Downtown Battle Mountain's case, amazing guitar work.
Parents, as they are my source of gear, money, and sometimes new stuff to learn.
Chris Wolstenholme and Flea got me into bass, but with regards personality I'm probably still a Chris Wolstenholme.

Robert Smith probably, he just makes me think of the 80's and the bassline to Lovecats. ^^

Probably something like Sugababes or S club 7 ;D

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why?Err I couldn't choose. Probably something Led Zeppeliny.

My best friend, he was the one that got me into the whole Rock music scene and he's proud of my improvements, or so it seems.
--------
1. Name one bassist who’s influenced your playing. Which bassist is closest to your personality

Les Claypool. When I first got my bass, I learned how to play it by watching the Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People dvd over and over again. I played along to all of his stuff, and copied his technique as closely as I could. I thought he was god and the best there was. He has a great technique, but once I got into jazz, I was lost on theory. I still play most like him. Even my stage presence resembles his. I've got the bobs, the spins, and the foot bounces.

Dylan Carlson of Earth. He's taught me to appreciate the minor elements of musicality that are usually overlooked. Everytime I hear a tune now, I listen for overtones and individual frequency interaction. Playing a show, I look for the resonant location on the stage and experiment. He's taught me to look at music from a different angle. He simply walks around me in circles as far as his music is concerned. It is the most dense, gratifying, entertaining, advanced, and innovative music I have ever heard.

The Beatles - 1962-1966 the "Red" album. Got it sometime in 4th grade. I was a total hipster. Then I got all the Weird Al cds in 5th grade! hahaha. Then Sum 41, Linkin Park, and Good Charlotte. Oh god.

Killer question. Probably would be Worlds Apart by ...Trail of Dead. But since its only for a week, I'd bring some sweet Tiny Tim recordings to dance around to!

Mozart because he's my best friend. I always call him up when I'm down and he's all like "Well this one time, I was writing my own Requiem and I got all depressed then realized it wasn't all too bad!" That always cheers me up. Good 'ol Mozty. Love the kid. And he has sweet hair. He goes to all of my shows, and teaches me lots of new things. He funds my GAS list as well. Sometimes, he lets me drive his pickup truck which is totally badass.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
-Flea, he's the whole reason I ever wanted to pick up a bass. Now he's definately not the only bassist I like and take inspiration from, but he's my favorite hands down.

-I'm not sure, I guess I'll say Barenaked Ladies' Live "Rock Spectacle" album.

-any RHCP album, especially Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Stadium Arcadium, but I'll take any.

My mom, she bought me my first guitar and alway's likes to help me when getting new gear if I come up short.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Last edited by DeltaFunk at Oct 29, 2008,

Krist Novoselic got me started on Bass, but I don't know who I match personality wise.

My band teacher, Mr. George Ewing, he gave me my first formal lesson in Jazz. He taught me that theres more than just a root note when you play bass.

Green Day, Warning.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, 28 Amazing songs that touch on many feelings and I never get tired of listening to it. Ever.

My dad, He bought me my first Bass, and when it comes anything that involves the music I play, he supports it. If I need to use his van to haul equipment to a gig, and plus he's the main reason why I even listen to older music like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, CCR, and other amazing bands.
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne) for one. As for the fitting to my style, I'd say either Justin Chancellor (Tool) or Joe Loeffler (old Chevelle)

None specifically, but, when writing chord progressions, I find them to either sound like Mike Bartak (Boy Hits Car) or Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) or even Pat McManaman/Jason Hale (Chiodos).

Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory

Oh...that's tough. Possibly Vena Sera -Chevelle. It's such a great album that I never get tired listening to.

My friend Brad. He's huge in the theory department and critiques everything I write to make it sound better.
Les Claypool. after i bought Pork Soda and started listening to him his playing style completed changed how i play bass. and it wasn't until i started playing like him that my playing was evelvated to the next level. my personality is kind likeLes i guess see how im out there and goofy like him. but i was like that before i knew of him.

Frank Zappa for he completey changed the way i thought of music and how i write it.

Third Eye Blind's self entitled CD. awsome CD still listen to it from time to time. reminds me of when i was younger.

Junta by Phish. just a great jam CD none of the songs on it are stale. all amazing jams.

my girl friend for she understands that i need to work on my music and she realizes that i can't be completely absorbed in here all the time. and she gives the songs i write the oh so hard critic they need(shes mean too).

I can't remember who got me into playing bass, but Tim Commerford and John Entwistle have both influenced me a lot both in terms of technique and the stuff I play.

My piano teacher probably, she taught me all about theory and general musicianship, which can be applied to all instruments, ie. bass.

Silver Side Up - Nickelback

Since it's only a week, I'd say Watershed by Opeth, since I havn't listened to it that much and a week alone with it would allow me to. If it was for longer, I would say Master of Puppets by Metallica.

My Parents, they've bought me a few bits of gear.

Flea's basslines really helped me take his ideas and then expand on them and apply them to all kinds of music, then from there I really got into Jeff Ament's in the pocket-ness and low key attitude and realized that the bass doesn't need to always be doing something amazing and impressive.

I don't really know what bassist matches my personality, I guess John Paul Jones or Sting, just any bassist that's really into creating all aspects of music and going beyond only playing bass

Jimi Hendrix, what can I say I just love the seamless integration of melody and groove and aggressiveness into one style

I really have no idea, the first I remember buying was Blink-182 Cheshire Cat, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something

Pearl Jam- Ten, I could never get tired of those 11 songs, even if it was all I had to listen to

My parents, they support me financially as much as they can by coming to every concert I've ever played, buying me equipment when I don't have the money myself, and next year, paying for music school.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.

Geddy Lee, the way he handles his bass, and makes weird basslines is is just like me. Rush in general, they write really seriously, but still have a sense of humor to their music.

Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. They way he sings is so passionate and alive, and i try to play bass like that.
umm...err...The Eminem Show by Eminem, first one i dont regret buying? Meteora by Linkin Park

2112 by Rush because the story on the title track is just so epic and passionate and i could listen to all of those songs repeatedly. Besides, pictures of anyone from the 70's are funny.

My best friend. He plays the electric guitar and has never been one of the "its just got two less strings" guys. He actually made me realize that i could write music, before him i felt like i would just be learning songs.

Flea is the answer to both parts of the question here. I first started out on guitar but it didn't interest me and it just kind of sat there. When I started getting into the Chilis, Flea's bass playing just stood out a mile to me. Hearing the bass so up front in the mix is what made we want to pick it up, and I loved how Flea mixed so many musical elements and styles together. Personality wise we are similar too, basically just an easy going, crazy bastard, lol.

I'd say Billy Corgan on this one, as a musician and a lyricist, he brings something different to the table.

Toploader - Onka's Big Moka, lol

At the moment it would be August and Everything After by Counting Crows. IMO, this is one of the most perfect debut albums ever. Adam Duritz is an amazing songwriter and all of the songs on there are amazing, not one piece of filler on the album. I never get bored when listening to it, and it has the ability to make you pick up on new things every time you listen to it.

One of my best mates, one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. He had played for 7/8 years when I first picked up bass and was nothing more than supportive and encouraging to me.
1. I'd have to say Alex Webster. I don't play like him but I did learn quite a few things by watching him. He's a very modest person and so am I.

2. This is a tough one, I won't be able to name just one person, it'd have to be the band Metallica. I used to listen to them a lot and theirs a noticeable influence in the way I write and play bass lines. There's a big thrash influence in the way I play because I used to listen to these guys.

3. First CD I owned was Master of Puppets. My mom bought it for me and introduced me to metal music.

4. The Bleeding, by Cannibal Corpse. This album always gets me headbanging. Many people will say Death Metal is crap, but I really appreciate the musicianship in this band.

5. My mom, she got me into music and she buys me everything I need to play. I could always go to her for an honest opinion about how I'm playing something or about something I wrote. She even takes me to music stores to try out new basses.
Never Missing in Action
Man, its a toss up between Steve Harris or Geezer Butler. I love Steve for his awesome writing and playing, and Geezer for his great melodic stuff.
He didnt really get me into Bass, but Tom Petty got me into wanting to play music when I was really little...
Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever...when I was like 4 haha
Prolly Ride the Lightning...prolly my favorite album ever.
Parents...always been into it. Without them woulda never started.
tim commerford and for personality i do not know i just play doesnt effect my character
i wouldnt know this i guess i see music as a colaberation i could probable say a band but not a single musician
i dont know i was very young
probable something from maiden not because im a huge fan i like there music and the have songs with a good length to keep me intertained but not bored most likely the somewhere back in time
5. Name one person who supports your musical aspirations and how they support you.(?)
id say my dad because he payed for my bass the amp was a gift and he pays for my lessons
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!

honestly i have to say Mike Dirnt, i keep finding myself using the same sort of mixolydian and minor fills as him. In terms of personality though i have to say any of those classy upright players from the 1930's kansas swing scene. they have my groove all over them

louis armstrong, i like to think i'm economical with the notes i play

Nickleback - Silver Side Up

Stu Hamm - Kings Of Sleep. It's just the perfect bass album

my girlfriend and soon to be fiancee (hopefully she's not reading this). She has offered to split the cost of a Fender Urge II with me because of what that bass represents to me. It's my reason to play and my drive to succeed. No one has ever shown that much support or realised how such little things mean so much to me
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Oct 29, 2008,

Every bassist influences my playing in some way or another, but a friend of mine, zach someoneoranother, he really changed the way I saw bass. He brought his acoustic bass to school one day and blew everyone away. He playedd alot like Jaco. I guess I'd be like Krist Novoselic because I'm into politics and I really do agree with his views on electoral reform.

Al Jarreau. His vocal phrasing really changed the way I had originally learned how to play. I mean, when he scats it's amazing. And in my opinion better than anything Larry carlton could come up with.

I think it may have been abbey road.

Anything from Mungo Jerry, those songs make me so happy.

My band members support me now, I'm not so sure which one does more but they all would hate to have to find another good bass player. They support me through the amount of bass solos they let me have. Those things are always confidence boosters.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you

Influence00 maybeVictor Damiani who taught me that fun little pentatonic phrases need not be cliche... or at least not in a bad way. Personality? I like to think I have the playful tongue-in-cheekyness of Stu Hamm, but I won't even begin to pretend that my technical ability is anything similar to him in style or degree.

Probably Thom York, other musicians have done great things with ambient electronic sounds in rock music, but the one I grew up listening to was York in Radiohead.

3. What was the first CD/LP/Mp3 download you ever owned (and be honest)? Being completely honest I can't remember, I had cassetts as a kid, I think my first CD was Joan Osborne since she was popular when my family first got a CD player.

4. You’re stranded on an island for a week. What CD would be your desert island disk and why? Pet Sounds. I don't know just gut instinct, maybe it has something to do with being on the beach all week.

Sorry to ruin the question, but my family thinks it's dumb, my girlfriend gets annoyed by it, my friends don't make music and kind of nod and quickly change the subject. I've been doing it all on my own for the last 6 years. Well the good folks at UG and the bass forum have helped me out I suppose

There's so many, but I want to say Klaus Flouride from the Dead Kennedys. His playing is genuinely rock, but has lots of interesting quirks and melodies than you don't find with most, even good, rock bass players. But there's tons others out there. Personality wise, I dunno who, so I'll say "don't worry about this, and worry about the music."

I want to say Brian May from Queen. I don't know why, but I do.

Well when I first got into music my uncle gave me a Billy Joel CD. The first CD I actually bought I think was the Van Halen Greatest Hits

Maybe Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Its a great and fun album to listen to, with tons of music on there. Plus, if I'm alone on a desert island, there's something I'm gonna be doing a lot of, and this album would help me in this regard

My friends I guess? My parents aren't really supportive, but they almost put up with it most of the time so that's something I guess. My friends at least pretend to listen whenever I talk about gear and they play in a band with me.
1.) Bootsy Collins. Im most like Chris Wood, stays in the pocket laying down the groove not stepping on anyone feet.
2.) Jerry Garcia. To many reasons to list here.
3.) The Offspring-Americana
4.) Mitch hedberg - i may be stranded on an island but at least ill be laughing my ass off the whole time
5.) There is this local bassist that whenever i hear him play, he's totally different playing style everytime i hear him, which is mostly once a week. He can go from funk to jazz to metal to thriller, everytime i hear him play i smile. Gave me the best advice, give up on tabs and focus on your ears and timing.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Flea probably most influenced me, although I tend to play RHCP stuff very little now, it really got me into playing more interesting riffs. The first bass riff I ever heard was Out Of Control by Rancid, and Matt Freeman was the inspiration for playing bass. Personality wise, I'd say Chris Wolstenholme, because he seems to be laid-back, willing to go along with whatever happens, but damn he's got some style and mad licks.

Probably either Jack Johnson or Trent Reznor. Idea's for basslines will pop up when I listen to them.

Incubus - Morning View, what an amazing album

Reuben - Racecar is Racecar backwards. My favourite album in the world, and enough variety to keep me happy.

My bass teacher. he keeps my mind open to different basslines, and he helps me come up with a lot more ideas, while I can do the same for him sometimes.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.

Les Claypool on both counts. He's a maniac.

Definitely Tomas Kalnoky. Everything I've ever heard him do has been done so well that it's simply inspiring.

I can't remember, but I know that I recently threw out "Black and Blue" by the Backstreet Boys.

"Everything Goes Numb" by Streetlight Manifesto. I've listened to that a million times and I'm still not sick of it.

This girl I know plays the clarinet and thinks she's hot shit, so she always makes me want to play better than her so she'll shut up.
Page 1 of 4