i have a MIM fender strat and i was lookin to get new pickups. i was hopin u guys could help cause i dont know alot about them. heres what im lookin for.

bridge: has to have alot of distortion. im goin to be playin mostly punk/pop punk and alternative rock

middle:classic rock think eagles or boston

neck: i just want something thats going to nice clean(not too trebley)

if thats not how it works please explain. if u can give some average prices too that would be great
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Oct 29, 2008,
pickups dont have distortion... and the pickups you have in your strat are good enough
i will recomend you vintage saymour duncan i heard them and they are the best pickups in my opinion
2 x bridge? I guess one of them has to be neck, but which one? the last?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by crohno
i will recomend you vintage saymour duncan i heard them and they are the best pickups in my opinion

cmon if your going to recomend them at least spell them right *seymour duncan*
do you want a high gain bridge pickup?
I would recommend seymour invader sh-8 pickup for this.
look it up.
Its like 90 bucks new i think.
Dont worry about your other pickups tho.
Stock should be fine for those.
Quote by pepsi1187
pickups dont have distortion... and the pickups you have in your strat are good enough

so dimarzio super distortions don't help distortion?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by someguy27
so dimarzio super distortions don't help distortion?

They do but thats because they are high output they dont have built in distortion.
Quote by Zeldaik
anyways hope that helps...

ok i sorta get it now. so i should just change out the bridge then?

so which ones are good now?
seymour duncan, dimarzio SD or invaders?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by someguy27
ok i sorta get it now. so i should just change out the bridge then?

so which ones are good now?
seymour duncan, dimarzio SD or invaders?

Go with the Invader, or a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon
*Assuming you have a good SS Amp(Cube, Valvetronix) or preferably a tube amp*:

Id go with a SD Custom Custom in the bridge, its a high output humbucker thats made to work well in bright guitars like Strats.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh11_custom_cus/

The other two pickups......well they should be able to do those tones pretty well (with a good amp), but if you really want to change them these would be good choices:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Fat-50s-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301613
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305432

I think the fat 50's only come in the set of 3 (unless you call Fender maybe.)
The Laces you can buy indivdually, and they have others than just the Golds, you could look at something like a Gold in the neck and a Hot Gold in the middle or a Blue in the neck and a Silver in the middle......its really up to you.

Oh, and I really like the 57/62 Fender sets as well lol......
Quote by someguy27
i have a MIM fender strat and i was lookin to get new pickups. i was hopin u guys could help cause i dont know alot about them. heres what im lookin for.

bridge: has to have alot of distortion. im goin to be playin mostly punk/pop punk and alternative rock

middle:classic rock think eagles or boston

neck: i just want something thats going to nice clean(not too trebley)

if thats not how it works please explain. if u can give some average prices too that would be great

1. make sure you are happy with your amp.
2. edit: i see you've got an HSS. i like custom custom, and dimarzio tone zones.
3. middle, i like dimarzio virtual vintage stacked single-coil series.
4. strat neck, usually sounds bassy, its position alone accounts for extra bass tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 29, 2008,
^ yeah.

also, that "warm" thing for the neck might also suggest a neck humbucker- if you take off your pickguard, you could find out if your guitar is routed for a neck humbucker or not. It wouldn't be a necessity (especially if i've misread what you want and you'd prefer a single coil, just a warmer-sounding one ), but it'd be worth doing for the amount of time it takes to unscrew the pickguard screws (with any luck you should be able to unscrew it enough to see underneath without having to remove the strings, but i could be wrong). I should probably admit, though, that I'm an HSH fanboy.

off the top of my head, you want a reasonably hot bridge pickup (jj1565/jenny's suggestions are more or less spot on, a custom V or custom would also be worth considering), a more-or-less vintage output middle pickup (duncan SSL1?), and a warmer neck pickup (alnico II pro strat? or maybe a lowish output humbucker...).

in relation to your original question, that is how it works, more or less, just you have to be careful how the pickups all balance together, especially if you use pickup settings which combine pickups (e.g. positions 2 +4 on a strat) a lot.

Are you in the USA? if not, there might be better-value options other than dimarzio and duncan. EDIT: prices depend very much on what country you're in, we can't really answer that until we know...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea im in the us and i have 100 dollars store credit at toms river music
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
bridge pup - Dimarzio Super Distortion ($65)
Middle pup - Dimarzio HS-3 ($65)
neck pup - Seymour Duncan little 59 ($75)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by someguy27
yea im in the us and i have 100 dollars store credit at toms river music

ok, you should be able to get a bridge pickup at least with $100, those duncan humbuckers seem to be around $70-$80 on musicians friend?

you'd be halfway towards one of the single coils, too, they seem to be around $50.

price depends on the model you go for, as well, some are quite a bit dearer than others...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JLT73
bridge pup - Dimarzio Super Distortion ($65)
Middle pup - Dimarzio HS-3 ($65)
neck pup - Seymour Duncan little 59 ($75)

+1.