Poll: What makes a good bassist?
Poll Options
View poll results: What makes a good bassist?
Funky Slap and Pop
5 4%
Rhythm and Presence
112 96%
Voters: 117.
Page 1 of 2
Me and my friends have been having a debate of what a definition of a good bassist is, they're all guitarist by the way, all of them say a good bassist are bassists who slap and pop like flea and victor wooten... I disagree, I think it is someone who can make a good rhythm structure to add presence to the song.

I used to think it was the good ole slap and pop that made a good bassist until I actually began learning bass.

So, pit, opinions?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Kev_ Bass Funk
Usually a good rythm sounds much better than a slap and pop, imo

kool, someone who agrees
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Point them in the way of John Myung and say he doesn't slap or pop. Maybe then they'll realise that they are being silly. One technique does NOT make a musician better than another.

will do thanks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
one who keeps good time and plays interesting (not root note) bass lines that don't detract from the other instruments.
A good bassist can play a nice rythem that makes the song. (excluding other guitars)
Like when you listen to verses that have just bass. You want it to sound full. Like Ryan Martinie, letting the bass be heard over the guitar, can also make the bass player better. Not just hearing the bass in a fade out.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
one who keeps good time and plays interesting (not root note) bass lines that don't detract from the other instruments.

yeh, like a good rhythm
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
idontlikefunk.

Anyways, can't you have both?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
idontlikefunk.

Anyways, can't you have both?

well yes, but if you could only have one or the other
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Slap and Pop is a fun and interesting technique but by no means the definition of a good bassist. Providing a solid yet interesting rythm with any technique seems like a better definition.
just to see I once played random fast slaps and pops with a friend playing some chords.

My sister, not musically trained, thought it was cool. my friend on the guitar told me I sounded like Les Claypool. from him, this was not a compliment. this reminded me of that. anyways, a bassist is easily a rhythm instrument, that must follow the drums to some extent, as opposed to a trumpet, which never has to do much locking in to any beats really. slap and pop, if used correctly, can be very rhythmical, especially with a fast, jumpy drumbeat pounding in the background.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would like to make sure we agree that, while Flea does Slap a good bit, he does so very artfully. And otherwise, he plays very rhythmically and countermelodically.

Someone who thinks that a good bassist is someone who can slap is probably the same guy who thinks that a good guitarist is someone who can tap. They even rhyme.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by watchingmefall
This, now lets let this thread die.

i only wanted people to answer the poll anyway... just to settle the debate amongst me and my guitar buddies
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
i only wanted people to answer the poll anyway... just to settle the debate amongst me and my guitar buddies

I have to ask you, what do your guitar buddies think of what constitutes a good guitarist? Just wondering.
Quote by watchingmefall
I have to ask you, what do your guitar buddies think of what constitutes a good guitarist? Just wondering.

5:1 says "Somebody who can tap/shred."

Come on, big money, big money, no whammies...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Simple answer: Both

A good bassist is someone who has good rhythm and presence, but also likes to get crazy and play more complicated parts, like slaps, but not just slap parts.

Flea for example has a lot of very impressive and complicated bass parts that are not slapped.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by WhyLater
5:1 says "Somebody who can tap/shred."

Come on, big money, big money, no whammies...

I'll take your bet and say it's someone who can solo with emotion, whatever the hell that means. And of course if someone is better they say "sure, it's good but his playing leaves me cold.
I thought this would be much more one sided.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Guitarists are usually impressed by slapping and popping. That's just how it is.
this is a silly question. this is making chocolate chip cookies and asking, which do you like better, the chocolate chip or the cookie?

well... you know... neither one is perfect without the other. Sure, I'd take a cookie (rhythm) over chocolate chips by themselves (technique without substance), but isn't technique and substance the best?

I use this for more than just slap & pop though, I mean that for all 'techniques'. but the point should be made... you're comparing a technique to a style of play. they go hand and hand.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
UtBDan is no longer a mod?
when did this happen?!
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
when did this happen?!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Victory2134
when did this happen?!

I stopped being a mod about a month ago and merely stayed on as a Smod.
I asked to be taken off, not because I didn't like the title, but because I did 0 work and was merely keeping my title to feel cool. So I stepped down because I'm sure someone who wanted to do all the work and deserved the spot should get it, instead of he-who-did-it-for-2-years-and-now-just-wanted-to-feel-cool.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by watchingmefall
I'll take your bet and say it's someone who can solo with emotion, whatever the hell that means. And of course if someone is better they say "sure, it's good but his playing leaves me cold.

I just turn on that Static-X song....

"COLD, WE'RE SO COLD!!"

and just to be relevant...

definitely a strong rhythm/foundation for the band. always.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Rhythm, Precense is more efeective but if you can combine both slap, pop and rhythm and presence then thats something
56 to 2 people say Rhythm and Presence, I think it's perfectly clear.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
doesnt good overall technique help aswell as rhythm and presence?
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
Quote by UtBDan
this is a silly question. this is making chocolate chip cookies and asking, which do you like better, the chocolate chip or the cookie?

well... you know... neither one is perfect without the other. Sure, I'd take a cookie (rhythm) over chocolate chips by themselves (technique without substance), but isn't technique and substance the best?

I use this for more than just slap & pop though, I mean that for all 'techniques'. but the point should be made... you're comparing a technique to a style of play. they go hand and hand.

+ My Internet

Quote by Bumper
A good bassist is one that gets out of the way so I can solo.

Wrong.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Applehead
A "good" bassist is one who can supply the right line.

exactly.
you can have a good bassist who slaps and pops. you can make a song very rhythmic by having a good bassline that uses the slap and pop technique. but you can also do this by just regular fingerpicking. it depends on many other things. but as the person i quoted said, the best line is the line that suits the song the best.
This is a really dumb question. There are times when one is more appropriate then the other so you can't answer accurately.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by UtBDan
I stopped being a mod about a month ago and merely stayed on as a Smod.
I asked to be taken off, not because I didn't like the title, but because I did 0 work and was merely keeping my title to feel cool. So I stepped down because I'm sure someone who wanted to do all the work and deserved the spot should get it, instead of he-who-did-it-for-2-years-and-now-just-wanted-to-feel-cool.

You will always be cool to me, right here.
*points to heart*
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Wrong.

I think it's completely right, it's not like you bassists can solo or anything, so why not make room for a real musician to come through, right?
^Aw...Bumper. Feel the love. I'll let you play your guitar solo, but I do get my 2 minute bass solo, because god knows people need to get the bar to get a beer refill

Anyway I think Applehead answered this one somewhere in the first few posts....
Page 1 of 2